I think most people complain because they are looking for an app that they used to use on a different platform and can't find it on the Playbook. It doesn't have to be the same exact app but one that performs the same function. The average quality of apps in Appworld is better than the average quality of apps in the Android market. However, sometimes a user will use a lower quality app if nothing else is available and they want that function. This is one of the reasons I am happy about the coming ability to use ported Android apps on the Playbook. My first choice will be to find a native app. If one does not exist I will see if I can find an Android app to fill the void until a native app is available.
    02-14-12 08:26 AM
    Since purchasing the Playbook (and some time before) I have read/viewed many reviews online. There are of course gripes, but one of the most common is that the PB does not have as MANY apps as IOS or Android.

Now, I cannot speak of IOS (I am not an Apple guy...that is my brother), but I can speak of Android as I have been with the OS since v1.5 with my HTC Hero. I have seen the market go from many..well...to MANY. But the fact of the matter is that a whole lot of these apps are not very good. Heck, I have seen apps that "accidentally" make it in to the market and do some very bad things to your device. I have seen apps that are literally adware in disguise. It is almost like anything goes there. A wild west of some great apps and some horrible apps all put together in one convenient search engine.

I began not to trust alot of applications, and rarely installed apps. I was reluctant to in most cases.

Since purchasing the PB, I have used the Appworld a multitude of times. I have purchased around 26 apps thus far, and all has been fantastic. I have found so many things that I like. Some great games, cool apps, just some neat stuff. Sure, it is small and growing, but I personally like it better. Things are easier to view and it is not completely overloaded with trash.

My point is (to these reviewers) that quantity does not make for a better experience. I would much rather have a selection of 1000 *good* apps any day over a selection of 100,000 apps that are a little "shady" so to speak!
    Was Fruit Ninja one of your 26 apps? I can count on 1 hand the amount of apps I purchased on appworld...file manager and modern combat
    02-14-12 08:29 AM
    People want game apps, not non-game apps. That's the issue.

The hottest apps (including non-games) are these:

AIM
    Hulu
    All major games
    MSN
    Yahoo
    Multi-IM apps that aren't $8
    Kindle (Android sideloaded works)
    etc...etc...etc...
    yup this is all i want and pulse for news, maybe flixster too
    but 10 -15 major apps and its perfect.
    02-14-12 08:48 AM
    Getting back to what I think the OP is talking about, the reality has always been app numbers. After doing a bit of research, virtually every negative review/commentary has always focused on the number of apps in BB App World for the PB, NOT the quality and functionality of the available apps; and in that negative spin, I found it always boiled down to games...freaking games. A close second in this uber-biased demagoguery of the PB, was the whiney drone of a couple native apps, and the soon to join the scrap heap of also rans, Hulu and Netflix, that the PB was missing.
    yes, tell me about the quality and functionality of some basic thing like notetaking, handwriting, pdf annotate apps.

The problem with Playbook and Android tablets in current market is for the mass market, iPad is more appeal with all of it entertainment apps, media content, game,...
    Some basic apps like Evernote, Netflix, Twitter don't help.

And then you have a market for people looking for productivity/business tool like mindmapping, outline, GTD, diagram, process chart, project plan, medical, anatomy, academic reference management,.... just name a few. In that market, iPad is way superior to its competitor.

Speaking of ecosystem, you can't have 1000 goods app with out 10.000 or 100.000 apps to competition with. That is the point of a strong ecosystem.
    I can named about 20 absolutely great notetaking/handwriting apps on Appstore but can't named a single one comparable on Appworld.
    02-14-12 08:52 AM
    I'm happy with App World so far, except recently i do find crappy apps appearing in App World... Could it be the free PB deal RIM is giving out to app developer? I do agree with Kenny, I too prefer to have 20 quality apps, compare to thousands of junk apps.
    lol ...on device gps for like 500 countries.
    02-14-12 08:54 AM
    People want game apps, not non-game apps. That's the issue.

The hottest apps (including non-games) are these:

AIM
    Hulu
    All major games
    MSN
    Yahoo
    Multi-IM apps that aren't $8
    Kindle (Android sideloaded works)
    etc...etc...etc...
    That's about what I'm looking for.
    02-14-12 09:56 AM
31 12