Is there any apps for playbook that will let you view an [International] airport maps?
    I wish playbook have app/s that will let you view the whole airport map and some important areas like entrance, restroom, arrival area, immigration, departure area, check-in area, souvenir items, gift shops, gate numbers, information desks etc. then the apps can also give you the right route from current location to area where you want to go.
    Example,
    current location: entrance [Clickable in the maps]
    Point of destination: Check-in area [clickable in the maps]

The apps will show on the map the possible route to go to the point of Destination.
    05-08-12 12:47 AM
    It would be nice, but what I do now is pull up the airport map online, take a screenshot and I'm good to go. Here is the last one I used and it does work well as I can zoom if needed.
    05-08-12 10:16 AM
    I agree that it's a good idea, but as above, most airports have an online map, or downloadable pdf.

Plus "you are here" requires a GPS signal (and a pretty accurate one at that), which in my experience is a lot harder to come by indoors.

So it may not be that great a development.
    05-08-12 10:31 AM
    Is there any apps for playbook that will let you view an [International] airport maps?
    I wish playbook have app/s that will let you view the whole airport map and some important areas like entrance, restroom, arrival area, immigration, departure area, check-in area, souvenir items, gift shops, gate numbers, information desks etc. then the apps can also give you the right route from current location to area where you want to go.
    Example,
    current location: entrance [Clickable in the maps]
    Point of destination: Check-in area [clickable in the maps]

The apps will show on the map the possible route to go to the point of Destination.
    Brilliant idea

Years ago I used to have similar functionality on one of my Palm PDAs - I think the maps came with the global account that used to get me into Business Lounges (irrespective of whatever class I was flying) - of course, the big point of those maps was to show you where the various Lounges were, but it was a very useful application as it also showed the hotels within the airport
    PBfanatic likes this.
    05-08-12 10:52 AM
    Wow!
    Whatta simple yet an *actual* needy app it would be!

Why doesn't someone make it?
    PBfanatic likes this.
    05-08-12 11:01 AM
    Maybe because after 09/11/2001, aiport security has changed a lot especially around International terminals. I work at Dulles myself.
    husainpatan likes this.
    05-08-12 12:25 PM
    Maybe because after 09/11/2001, aiport security has changed a lot especially around International terminals. I work at Dulles myself.
    I have worked at or flown into several airports over the years and I believe Dulles was one of the craziest busy, as far as ramp traffic goes, that I've seen. My mother was ATC there for two years and said it was her most challenging post. Of course this was just after the PATCO debacle. You work at a beehive, which I respect.
    baldanders likes this.
    05-08-12 12:39 PM
    I seem to recall that Google Maps were covering some airports - I am not sure what level of detail.

Funnily enough, when I was last in the Toronto Pearson airport, I turned my PB on, and lo-and behold, I had GPS signal right there in the arrivals concourse !

gail
    rotorwrench likes this.
    05-08-12 12:50 PM
    I agree that it's a good idea, but as above, most airports have an online map, or downloadable pdf.

Plus "you are here" requires a GPS signal (and a pretty accurate one at that), which in my experience is a lot harder to come by indoors.

So it may not be that great a development.
    Yeah, the unassisted GPS of the PB is useless indoors, especially in a building as large as an airport. However, all international airports (in the developed world, anyway) have Wifi, right? An app could be designed to use Wifi location services to give you "indoor GPS" tracking functionality, providing the turn-by-turn/routing feature requested.

Depending on your location, Google Maps is starting to fill in terminal/concourse data for airports, but I expect that since the OP qualified the need as applying to International airports, that may not work out. But Google does seem to be trying to include a fair amount of detail; although restrooms and lounges don't seem to be noted, some restaurants and shops are; see the attached screen shot of O'Hare.
    Last edited by cletis; 05-08-12 at 04:39 PM.
    05-08-12 04:33 PM
    i guess GPS is not necessary, just create a program with preloaded airport maps on it, that will draw route from point A to point B, anyways airports doesn't change layouts every month i guess. This kind of app will be a big help to me. Just make every possible areas commonly use by travellers clickable and when you click between two points the app will draw the route.
    05-08-12 08:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD