I'm tempted 2 get one, but don't wanna use bridge or go 2 yahoo.mail.com 2 check mail. Can someone offer some insight?
    01-03-12 02:41 AM
    Not yet. Soon. Supposedly next month.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-03-12 05:31 AM
    I'm tempted 2 get one, but don't wanna use bridge or go 2 yahoo.mail.com 2 check mail. Can someone offer some insight?
    How do you check your mail now? On your laptop or phone? I don't understand how it is so criticle to have native email like no one has ever got email before the playbook and will never be able to get email if they buy one.

Yes it needs it and it is coming. So either wait until it is there, deal with it until it comes if you really want one or go buy something else.
    01-03-12 07:02 AM
    No. No native email client.
    01-03-12 07:05 AM
    OP, I'm genuinely curious, you've been repeating this same post regarding being interested in getting a PB but the email blah blah blah....., while praising the native email of the iPad and other tablet since April of 2011, still not decided? I think you'd be better off with something else. Good luck.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-03-12 at 09:27 AM. Reason: mispl
    01-03-12 07:32 AM
    How do you check your mail now? On your laptop or phone? I don't understand how it is so criticle to have native email like no one has ever got email before the playbook and will never be able to get email if they buy one.

Yes it needs it and it is coming. So either wait until it is there, deal with it until it comes if you really want one or go buy something else.
    While I'm not the oriingal poster of this question, I would like to respond. I received a PB for Christmas as an alternative to a Kindle or Nook Tablet. While a bit aprehensive at first (we had never explored the playbook until they had the great pricing last month), I quickly discovered that I really like it... with one major exception - the lack of a native email client. (I do not have a BB phone - nor do I think I want one.)

I can easily enough go to gmail.com to check my email from my pb, but honestly, i get emails through my smartphone so i rarely use this on my pb. The major problem I have found, however, is the inability to click on a link on a webpage to send an email - it simply doesn't work. I even tried copying and pasting the email address, but can't get it to paste into my gmail. Frustrating especially when looking for something on craigslist that i want to reply to the seller...

As I said, this is probably the most major thing about the PB that I do not like. I have until 1/6/2012 to return the pb and get something else, but there's nothing else in that price range that I have found that I would rather have. The Kindle or Nook would be good... but they do not ahve a camera - and I LOVE that feature on the Playbook!

I'm hopeful that the update next month will include the email app as rumored. I must be the only person on the face of the earth who could care less about flinging birds at pigs... but I would really like the email client! If we would be able to utilize the great cameras for skype as well...and be able to use things like google talk....I would be in heaven!
    01-03-12 08:44 AM
    I believe that the lack of native email is one of the major cons of PB ownership and one that I hope RIM will address. If they do not, I will not hesitate to be critical.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-03-12 08:56 AM
    It won't chafe my hindquarters if I don't get a native e-mail app; that's why I have a phone with me everywhere I go with my PB.
    01-03-12 09:02 AM
    Why would you not want to use bridge? You're making it sound like it's a chore. It isn't, it's a breeze. A cool refreshing one. It saves you having to keep the two devices in sync, and keeps it all on the phone which you are more likely to have with you and less likely to lose or get stolen. No worries.

I love keeping email on the phone and bridging to it when I need it. Its not that difficult to bridge, and it will likely always be bridged anyway - getting to your email email is just like opening another app.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-03-12 at 09:20 AM.
    01-03-12 09:09 AM

I'm hopeful that the update next month will include the email app as rumored. I must be the only person on the face of the earth who could care less about flinging birds at pigs... but I would really like the email client! If we would be able to utilize the great cameras for skype as well...and be able to use things like google talk....I would be in heaven!
    Why not try a bb phone to go along with your playbook. emailing will be a breeze when bridged
    mandony and Willard814 like this.
    01-03-12 09:10 AM

It might be a convenience but not critical. Most people who do not have playbooks have been talked out of buying them because they have been convinced they will never be able to check their email on it. Intentionally if you ask me - it's a campaign.

From the very beginning, it was labeled as "codependent" on the phone. It is not. Even in the infamous "60 day" interview with Basille - the interviewer called it codependent. Rather than defending the bridge concept stupid Basille shot himself in the foot by getting defensive and saying "oh don't worry it is scheduled for

[deep slow motion voice]:
    " Siiiixxxxtyyyy Daaaaaayyyyyssssss"

In my opinion it would be an annoyance rather than a convenience to keep them synced. Blackberry had the right idea. But they now must bow to market pressure.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-03-12 at 09:19 AM.
    01-03-12 09:15 AM
    It won't chafe my hindquarters if I don't get a native e-mail app; that's why I have a phone with me everywhere I go with my PB.
    But, see, by that logic, RIM doesn't have to give us anything, because we can go elsewhere for it. I think we have a right to expect native email in an updated OS.
    FF22 and Willard814 like this.
    01-03-12 09:41 AM
    But, see, by that logic, RIM doesn't have to give us anything, because we can go elsewhere for it. I think we have a right to expect native email in an updated OS.
    I agree or let someone else fill the void. Until then it isn't the end of the world and I'm losing nothing without it as my phone is always with me even when the pb is not.
    Willard814 and barskin like this.
    01-03-12 09:46 AM
    You know, I think because we have had such a slew of bashers implying that we are all such schmucks to like our PlayBooks that now we are afraid to be critical of anything. We shouldn't be. Sure, I have lots of other ways to check my email, but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't want my PlayBook to have that function. The tablet should be able to exist as if we have nothing else available to us, I believe.
    01-03-12 09:47 AM
    View your e-mail on PB just fine when the PB is bridged to a BB phone.
    No problem.

OP: This SAME topic has been discussed in press and CB since before the PB was born.
    Willard814 and iamfuzzy like this.
    01-03-12 09:48 AM
    I agree or let someone else fill the void. Until then it isn't the end of the world and I'm losing nothing without it as my phone is always with me even when the pb is not.
    Agree totally!
    01-03-12 09:48 AM
    To the OP...no disrespect, but if u have a 9900 and u still are wondering about the playbook, and saying that u dont want to do bridge...then u probably dont even want a playbook. Why dont u want to use bridge? Like Blackjack said,its a breeze. honestly, where are u going to take the playbok, that u wont take your 9900? Not wanting to use bridge isnt a excuse if u own a BB smartphone...im sorry but it isnt. Im not saying native email isnt needed...but if u have a BB then i dont see whats the problem.

just my opinion
    bigbmc26 and Willard814 like this.
    01-03-12 09:49 AM
    I get that you're tired of threads on this issue, but that's no excuse to jump all over a poster who merely asked a question. The OP didn't criticize the PB, didn't claim e-mail was critical, and didn't bash (or even "bash") RIM; it really isn't necessary to be so abrupt.
    01-03-12 09:55 AM
    I believe that the lack of native email is one of the major cons of PB ownership and one that I hope RIM will address. If they do not, I will not hesitate to be critical.
    Even though I personally can't use it, I will be too. Strictly for a marketing reason if nothing else. I know many want it. The point of my previous post is that this thread has all the earmarks of bait, and it was taken. Read the previous threads. My opinion. I'm through with this one, bye.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-03-12 at 10:24 AM. Reason: comment
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-03-12 09:55 AM
    I am confident that we will have this "nativity scene" when OS 2.0 is officially released; what I am simply stating is that I won't give it a nano-second of attention or thought if I don't ever get it. A nice to have feature, for sure....a must have, I don't believe so.
    Willard814 and rotorwrench like this.
    01-03-12 09:56 AM
    Even though I personally can't use it, I will be too. Strictly for a marketing reason if nothing else. I know many want it. The point of my previous post is that this thread has all the earmarks of bait, and it was taken. Read the previous threads. My opinion

I have and I agree.
    Willard814 and rotorwrench like this.
    01-03-12 10:01 AM
    I get that you're tired of threads on this issue, but that's no excuse to jump all over a poster who merely asked a question. The OP didn't criticize the PB, didn't claim e-mail was critical, and didn't bash (or even "bash") RIM; it really isn't necessary to be so abrupt.
    The trouble with print is peoples interpretation of it. When I typed my reply I did so in a calm and mild manner. I did not call the OP out as being a troll or anything. The OP has been asking about it since launch so I imagine he reads things here and knows. Where did I "jump all over" the OP?
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-03-12 10:01 AM
    Where did I "jump all over" the OP?
    Annotations:

I don't understand how it is so criticle to have native email like no one has ever got email before the playbook and will never be able to get email if they buy one.
    The OP never suggested any of the above, he/she merely asked if it was available yet.

Until then it isn't the end of the world and I'm losing nothing without it as my phone is always with me even when the pb is not.
    No one suggested it was the end of the world, at least on this thread.
    01-03-12 10:09 AM
    I'll say this. I gave my mom a PlayBook for Christmas. She leaves to Florida with her sisters for a week later this month. She has sent several emails from the PlayBook. Guess she figured out how to browse to Yahoo! like she always does on her computer.

Crazy.
    01-03-12 10:19 AM
    Annotations:

The OP never suggested any of the above, he/she merely asked if it was available yet.

No one suggested it was the end of the world, at least on this thread.
    OK you win, I jumped down their throat going for the kill. Go straighten someone else out now.
    01-03-12 10:26 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD