From iMore:

"Adobe Reader for iPad has recieved a great update and now allows users to fill out PDF forms, and mark them up with sticky notes, freehand annotating, highlighting, underline, and strikethroughs."

Full article: http://www.imore.com/2012/04/10/fill...e-reader-ipad/

Think we'll see the same update? Think RIM is going to push Adobe? Think anything at all will happen?

This poster doubts it.
    04-10-12 09:55 PM
    From iMore:

"Adobe Reader for iPad has recieved a great update and now allows users to fill out PDF forms, and mark them up with sticky notes, freehand annotating, highlighting, underline, and strikethroughs."

Think we'll see the same update? Think RIM is going to push Adobe? Think anything at all will happen?

This poster doubts it.
    I rather have RIM focusing on more important applications such as Kindle or Skype, rather than improving on the Adobe Reader...

Thats my personal opinion. Some of you may prefer NetFlix

- Charles
    04-10-12 10:28 PM
    04-10-12 10:32 PM
    From iMore:

This poster doubts it.
    To answer your three questions: (i) not bloody likely; (ii) no; and (iii) no. I've all but given up on Adobe Reader to be anything more than utter garbage on the Playbook and sincerely doubt that it will ever get better. I just don't see the support coming from Adobe to support the Playbook nor do I see RIM in any position to push Adobe to provide further support.
    04-10-12 10:39 PM
    I rather have RIM focusing on more important applications such as Kindle or Skype, rather than improving on the Adobe Reader...

Thats my personal opinion. Some of you may prefer NetFlix

- Charles
    Sorry friend, but I find that a proper office suit is far more important than Skype and NetFlix...

If you ask me, I'd just work on PDF2Go for PlayBook and tell Adobe they can suck on their pinky toe.
    joaosousa and RicThot like this.
    04-11-12 12:15 AM
    The original Adobe Reader on iOS is about as useful as the Playbook version, very limited. The new one is MUCH better, finally useful compared to all the excellent ones in iOS already. If RIM is able to get the Playbook one updated, it would patch a HUGE hole in functionality.
    04-11-12 12:43 AM
    Sorry friend, but I find that a proper office suit is far more important than Skype and NetFlix...

If you ask me, I'd just work on PDF2Go for PlayBook and tell Adobe they can suck on their pinky toe.

My thoughts exactly. But I also respect chaddeus opinion for I can see work use in Kindle and Skype though I don't use either (if I got the post right he wants these 2 and not Netflix... the random Netflix "petition" usually grinds my gear... for a business oriented product it's only natural that business oriented apps should take prior).

About Adobe Reader I've been hoping for the addition of at least seach and bookmarks since I bought my Playbook...

Again if Adobe doesn't deliver why doesn't RIM release a port of Dataviz Docs 2 Go pdf reader (I mean they bought the company... don't get how they don't make better use of its resources)... just hope they do it soon. I have to use RepliGo every single day and if RIM removes sideloading and no hackternative appears than I'm not updating...).
    Last edited by joaosousa; 04-11-12 at 02:44 PM.
    04-11-12 01:42 PM
    Like the Evernote, DocsToGo, and the built in apps, I think the Adobe Reader port was done by RIM, rather than Adobe. There's a consistency btwn these apps that are not seen anywhere else. Both Evernote and DocsToGo confirmed that they didn't do the ports, which will explain why they're behind releases on other platforms.

So the people who need to be pushed is RIM.
    04-11-12 02:41 PM
    Important? I dont even have a Skype or Netflicks account. PDF are an everyday necessity for me. The PB absolutely needs PDF annotation and everything this upgrade brings. I hope the update will be along shortly. I would even suggest that it could a chargeable upgrade.

PS. What is auto text disabled in the CB app?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    04-11-12 04:23 PM
    Like the Evernote, DocsToGo, and the built in apps, I think the Adobe Reader port was done by RIM, rather than Adobe. There's a consistency btwn these apps that are not seen anywhere else. Both Evernote and DocsToGo confirmed that they didn't do the ports, which will explain why they're behind releases on other platforms.

So the people who need to be pushed is RIM.
    You are most likely correct.

RIM probably signed a deal with Adobe for the source code both Flash Player, AIR and Adobe Reader --- so it is RIM that is doing the ports themselves.
    04-11-12 04:34 PM
    The update should be coming to the Playbook no later than April 2013.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    04-11-12 05:51 PM
    Ya I got the update on my iPad - adds solid functionality!
    04-11-12 05:55 PM
    Oh how I hope we get an Adobe Reader update. I use it frequently and the present version is so barebones it's ridiculous. At least give us the ability to highlight, search, & bookmark. As it is I have to write the page number I'm on down before I close a document. Then I have to scroll thru the whole thing back to that page the next time I open it. And if I forget to write down the page number...there will be swear words...
    04-11-12 08:38 PM
    My thoughts exactly. But I also respect chaddeus opinion for I can see work use in Kindle and Skype though I don't use either (if I got the post right he wants these 2 and not Netflix... the random Netflix "petition" usually grinds my gear... for a business oriented product it's only natural that business oriented apps should take prior).

About Adobe Reader I've been hoping for the addition of at least seach and bookmarks since I bought my Playbook...

Again if Adobe doesn't deliver why doesn't RIM release a port of Dataviz Docs 2 Go pdf reader (I mean they bought the company... don't get how they don't make better use of its resources)... just hope they do it soon. I have to use RepliGo every single day and if RIM removes sideloading and no hackternative appears than I'm not updating...).
    I'm not saying he's wrong either, but you got guys got the point. Every computer user today needs pdf files, not computer user needs skype/netflix/kindle.

I'm all in for Skype and Kindle for PlayBook though.
    04-11-12 08:51 PM
    I really hope we get an update to the adobe reader as the other platforms have. While I continue to get use out of my playbook this continues to be a very sore spot for me. It baffles me to no end a business tablet lacks a fully functional pdf program. IMO the playbook will never be complete until this is addressed.

Looks like we need the apk file from android
    04-11-12 08:54 PM

RIM did not buy Dataviz and it is still an independent company that continues to sell Docs2Go to iOS and Android users. Somehow the announcement that RIM bought some assets from Dataviz became an outright acquisition in the media. It appears that RIM bought the BB development team and the rights to develop Docs2Go on the BB platform:

ATTENTION, BlackBerry 7 users: Your device comes pre-installed with Documents To Go Premium developed by RIM. You do not need to purchase Documents To Go from DataViz.
    DataVIZ, PDA Software - BlackBerry Software, iPhone Software, iPod touch Software, Palm OS Software, webOS Software, Google Android Software, Windows Mobile Software, Windows Smartphone Software, Symb

I agree with you though that one would think RIM would have made better use of the Docs2Go resources they acquired. I think it's pretty certain that RIM will adapt Docs2Go for BB10 so I think we'll finally get the full version with PDF support once the PB is updated with BB10.
    04-12-12 09:19 AM
    RIM did not buy Dataviz and it is still an independent company that continues to sell Docs2Go to iOS and Android users. Somehow the announcement that RIM bought some assets from Dataviz became an outright acquisition in the media. It appears that RIM bought the BB development team and the rights to develop Docs2Go on the BB platform:

ATTENTION, BlackBerry 7 users: Your device comes pre-installed with Documents To Go Premium developed by RIM. You do not need to purchase Documents To Go from DataViz.
    DataVIZ, PDA Software - BlackBerry Software, iPhone Software, iPod touch Software, Palm OS Software, webOS Software, Google Android Software, Windows Mobile Software, Windows Smartphone Software, Symb

I agree with you though that one would think RIM would have made better use of the Docs2Go resources they acquired. I think it's pretty certain that RIM will adapt Docs2Go for BB10 so I think we'll finally get the full version with PDF support once the PB is updated with BB10.
    I'm positive that RIM is in control of the Docs2GO team. Just because you buy something to make your platform better, it does not mean you have to stop making money from other platforms...

Good warning for OS7 users though.
    04-12-12 09:28 AM
    I'm positive that RIM is in control of the Docs2GO team. Just because you buy something to make your platform better, it does not mean you have to stop making money from other platforms...

Good warning for OS7 users though.
    What you are saying about making money on other platforms is true, although it is usually the case with most major companies to stop an acquisitions development on competing platforms almost immediately. Also, it doesn't appear to be what Dataviz's CEO is saying:

Despite recent rumors to the contrary, an official DataViz spokesperson says that this well-known mobile app developer has not been acquired by RIM, the maker of BlackBerry smartphones.

Over the last few days, it has been widely reported that the developer of the popular Documents To Go Office suite is now a part of Research In Motion. This led to speculation that the iOS and Android OS versions of this company's products would soon no longer be available.

Responding to question for Brighthand, Wesley Hamnett, DataViz' Marketing & Channel Coordinator, wrote:

It is not our practice to disclose details of our business relationships with our partners. That being said, while we did sell some of our assets to RIM, DataViz itself has not been acquired and is still very much in business.

We remain committed to many of the platforms that we supported previously including both iPhone and Android. In fact, we will be releasing several new versions of Documents To Go in the coming weeks and you can expect to see other offerings from us in the future as well.

DataViz Was Not Acquired by RIM, Still Working on iPhone, Android OS Software
    04-12-12 02:13 PM
    What you are saying about making money on other platforms is true, although it is usually the case with most major companies to stop an acquisitions development on competing platforms almost immediately. Also, it doesn't appear to be what Dataviz's CEO is saying:

Despite recent rumors to the contrary, an official DataViz spokesperson says that this well-known mobile app developer has not been acquired by RIM, the maker of BlackBerry smartphones.

Over the last few days, it has been widely reported that the developer of the popular Documents To Go Office suite is now a part of Research In Motion. This led to speculation that the iOS and Android OS versions of this company's products would soon no longer be available.

Responding to question for Brighthand, Wesley Hamnett, DataViz' Marketing & Channel Coordinator, wrote:

It is not our practice to disclose details of our business relationships with our partners. That being said, while we did sell some of our assets to RIM, DataViz itself has not been acquired and is still very much in business.

We remain committed to many of the platforms that we supported previously including both iPhone and Android. In fact, we will be releasing several new versions of Documents To Go in the coming weeks and you can expect to see other offerings from us in the future as well.

DataViz Was Not Acquired by RIM, Still Working on iPhone, Android OS Software

DataViz, Makers of Documents To Go, apparently acquired and now owned by Research In Motion

I happen to trust this site a lot more.
    04-12-12 06:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD