seriously they better release a better version soon...

I wanted to see a few from my college books and my surprise is: I only see blank pages...
    the same .pdf files run smooth and easy on other pdf readers of other platforms...

So basically i can only view about of 70% of my often pdfs..

Its pretty annoying!!

Does anyone know of a better PDF reader for PB?
    10-13-11 02:07 AM
    There are no other options at the moment. I've heard of none coming.
    10-13-11 08:23 AM
    I agree, the Adobe reader is virtually unusable. No highlighting, no bookmarks, no notations, double tap to zoom doesn't work properly, no text search, no ability to jump to a page, and it runs like a dog on .pdfs based on scanned documents (resulting in painfully slow page turns and a ton of checkerboarding when scrolling). All this from RIMs big 'partner' in the development of the PlayBook. Sad.

I honestly bought my PlayBook for the sake of .pdfs, powerpoints and word docs, and it's disappointed on all three. That said, the browser's great, so it still gets used daily.
    10-13-11 10:18 AM
    I'm hoping for a new revised version cause most of my required documents i need on a daily basis are in pdf.
    10-13-11 08:38 PM
    So email Adobe and bug them to make it better.
    10-13-11 08:42 PM
    OP: I am sorry you are having a problem. Bad press by some trolls lead to your sad comments, perhaps. Please ignore those guys.

I SUCCESSFULLY use the Adobe Acrobat Reader EVERY DAY.
    I know the limitations and make PDF files to suit the reader.
    Is the reader the greatest? No.
    But, NOT totally bad.

So many people have so many needs. It is unlikely that anything that Adobe does will server all people all the time. PB is a tablet not a windows PC and can't be expected to do everything. Sometimes a PC Netbook is a better alternative to a tablet.
    Last edited by mandony; 10-13-11 at 09:01 PM.
    KermEd and d3adcrab like this.
    10-13-11 08:56 PM
    Yeah... Its ok, generally... but heavy PDF (which I often use) go blank and that sucks.. because this doesnt happen with other tablet devices.
    10-13-11 09:01 PM
    Sorry you find it so unusable, I have several PDF publications in the 35-100 meg size one is 460 pages of photos, charts, text etc all very readable. I agree they are a little slow to initially load, but very usable for me. All are downloaded versions of MOT specs etc.. When I need to find something, I use the index, then scroll to that page using the bar at bottom of page. (wipe down from top for menu)
    KermEd likes this.
    10-13-11 09:32 PM
    I agree it lacks features but never seen blank pages. How big are these files have you given them time to load?
    10-13-11 11:08 PM
    I agree it lacks features but never seen blank pages. How big are these files have you given them time to load?
    iv used 45Mb pdf`s, never had that issue either
    KermEd likes this.
    10-13-11 11:23 PM
    WE all know the playbook is 'unfinished' in certain ways and adobe reader is one of them.

The playbook is actually a great product and hopefully OS 2 will get us a pdf reader with more features. I will be surprised if it doesn't.
    10-14-11 12:34 AM
    Anyone have the adobe icon go disappear?
    The name is still listed but it doesn't have an icon. I have re booted my pb and its still missing. Tried deleting it and it disappears but when I reboot the name is back but the icon is still gone. When I try to run it comes up and disappears. Its unusable. Tried deleting in app world, same thing. Can't reinstall either.
    Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-11 09:51 AM
    Yeah - basically there is some specific type of imported body into a PDF causing them not to show on PlayBooks. To be honest I have never liked pdf format - they lock it down too much and I dont like Adobe having that much power. Its too restrictive and all pdf viewers are bloated because pdf is inherently bloated.

With all that said - I haven't had any real pdf problems myself . I would think about creating an alternative viewer, but the features everyone wants would take a long time and I would be unlikely to see a financial return on the development effort. It is on my radar as well as a native email client. But not rushing either until OS2 because I dont want to make something that is coming down the pipe..
    10-15-11 11:15 AM
    clarification : some type of image or object format that causes the objects to vanish on the pages.
    10-15-11 11:16 AM
    Does android have foxit reader or ? Maybe if the player ever comes that might be an option.
    10-15-11 11:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD