I'm curious - since the adobe app is available for download from appworld, is that version changed? What about an OS change would modify how the pb reads pdf files if the adobe app is still the same? Does the flash update change how the reader performs?
    06-23-11 08:47 AM
    I am having the same trouble with the e-edition of my local paper. I logged a ticket with RIM support. They are answering my questions with questions and giving me the run around. Most recent response was that it could be the way that the PDF file is encoded as if the problem is not theirs but the people who are creating the PDF's. If that is the case then RIM and Adobe need to put their heads together and come up with a plan to get the problem fixed asap. At this point I would like to rollback the upgrade so that I can resume use of Adobe Reader. Anyone know if rolling back is possible?
    06-23-11 08:51 AM
    I recall a recent thread about a broken game app where someone suggested this can be done with Desktop Manager. Of course, now i cant find the thread, but it was posted since the latest OS upgrade.
    WildcatDad likes this.
    06-23-11 09:26 AM
    PDF reader is crashing on me too. I never really used it a whole lot until this week because of a course I am taking for work. I wanted to use the student guide on my playbook while I do the labs on the computer. Much easier that way.... so I thought. Instead I fall behind in class because the app keeps crashing randomly. The various PDFs I'm using are all over 100 pages.

I tried a delete/reboot/reinstall. Also tried turning off bluetooth/bridge and wifi but no change. I'm pretty bummed out about this! Too bad, because I really appreciated the increased browser performance from the update.
    06-23-11 11:10 AM
    I tried everything but PDF reader still crashing! I read my paper on it and i love the size of my Playbook.Can someone please fix the issue?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-11 12:11 PM
    Based on my experience and reading the thread, it appears the problem is generated by either newspaper or magazines PDF's. I can't read the Atlanta Journal without the system crashing after a few pages, but I can open and read longer documents that are internally generated.
    My 6,000 page, 74MB car service manual used to open just fine in Adobe Reader. Since the latest OS update, Reader crashes while trying to open the document.

My 9MB, 380 page camera manual opens just fine.

Both are impossible to use without bookmark support.
    06-23-11 01:51 PM
    I wonder if the fact that the Adobe Reader app is free and available, if that will make 3rd party developers shy away from creating a full reader. After all, they may think that at any time Rim/Adobe might actually enhance the free one leaving them with an app that no one wants to buy. Like there's any chance of enhancement from rim/abobe.
    06-23-11 02:16 PM
    I wonder if the fact that the Adobe Reader app is free and available, if that will make 3rd party developers shy away from creating a full reader. After all, they may think that at any time Rim/Adobe might actually enhance the free one leaving them with an app that no one wants to buy. Like there's any chance of enhancement from rim/abobe.
    I don't know. There's other reader apps for desktop computers despite Adobe having a full-feaured free PDF reader available.
    06-23-11 02:24 PM
    OMG just sent a message to [email protected] (as stated in Appworld) but that address is not existing!

06-23-11 03:03 PM
    Filled in a bug report on adobe.com;
    Due to the volume of submissions we receive, responses to inquiries are generally not possible. However, we may contact you if we need clarification on your submission

06-23-11 03:12 PM
    Filled in a bug report on adobe.com;
    Due to the volume of submissions we receive, responses to inquiries are generally not possible. However, we may contact you if we need clarification on your submission

Ah, good. We can expect an update or FIX by Playbook IX!
    06-23-11 03:45 PM
    One more thing the Adobe Reader needs (or even make it an OS feature) multiple PDF files open at the same time.

Adobe might not do this, so RIM should allow the OS to open multiple copies of an application at the same time. This would allow for multiple instances of Adobe Reader and thus multiple documents to be open at the same time.

Would come in handy when I am looking at wiring diagrams that span multiple documents.
    dosto likes this.
    06-24-11 04:38 PM
    The lack of NDK for BlackBerry Playbook to date I think is what really makes third-party developers shy away from doing any truly serious apps, including competing PDF readers. "Need for Speed: Undercover" is the prime example of what can be achieved through the NDK. RIM should have released even the beta version of the NDK to the public, clearly indicating that it is beta and let the apps start flowing in, but alas, they prefer to sit on it in order to "perfect" it first.
    06-27-11 11:26 PM
    still no fix for Adobe Reader. My PB sits in a drawer now.
    I'm getting withdrawal, bad.
    06-29-11 04:36 PM
    Man, I feel so sorry for you. Assume you have had no luck in finding out how to roll back the update? I now see that some apps require the latest OS to run so I don't even see them in App World. This is a real bummer. I guess my Playbook is going to be as good as it is going to get, at least until I know this has been fixed. Fortunately for me the last thing I really needed for it was a good e-reader and Playepub does the job. In fact, i wonder if you could use Calibre to convert your PDFs to epbu and then use that app?
    06-29-11 05:01 PM
    heres a workaround, it will cost you purchasing the epub reader app for 1.99 though. convert your pdf to epub
    Online ePub converter

it opens the pdf i had could not read in adobe.

i know crappy that you got to spend 2 dollars and you got to convert your pdf
    07-01-11 10:38 AM
    Ah, so that workaround does work. Good to know. I still dont want to risk the update, tho, becuase for large formatted gaming manuals the PDF reader pinch to zoom is a must. Playepub does not have pinch to zoom
    07-01-11 10:58 AM
    heres a workaround, it will cost you purchasing the epub reader app for 1.99 though. convert your pdf to epub
    Online ePub converter

it opens the pdf i had could not read in adobe.

i know crappy that you got to spend 2 dollars and you got to convert your pdf
    Does that convert all the PDF bookmarks too? Do the bookmarks remain intact in the ePub reader?
    07-01-11 01:23 PM
    Does that convert all the PDF bookmarks too? Do the bookmarks remain intact in the ePub reader?
    im sorry i dont know. i couldnt read some of my pdf so i couldnt make bookmarks

07-01-11 06:45 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD