I have had my Playbook a couple of weeks and have not had one minutes trouble unitl I updated to 1.0.6.2390 today. Now, when I bring up a PDF, I can scroll through the first 5 or 6 pages only and the application closes. Is this an App modification that Adobe must make, did the update not get applied properly or do I need to look elsewhere. thanks!
    06-21-11 12:28 PM
    I'm having the same problem, it was quite annoying to read my newspaper this morning.
    06-21-11 01:31 PM
    I just tried it with a few different PDF files on my PB. One has 41 pages and I was able to go through each one without any problem. I did this several times with different files all more then 6 pages.
    06-21-11 01:58 PM
    That's very interesting. My problem was with the newspaper at lunch. I just downloaded a rather large PDF file to the Playbook and scanned through it without any problems. Went back to the newspaper and on page 6 the application automatically closed. What's the difference in the documents?
    06-21-11 02:53 PM
    Oh, man. i was seriously thinking if upgraded to this OS version, but the PDF reader is a must have. if anyone solves this issue, please post here.
    06-21-11 03:14 PM
    Adobe is one of the few apps that can be installed from appWorld.
    Delete it, shutdown and restart the PB, then reinstall from appWorld.
    06-21-11 10:41 PM
    Oh great...

My test file for Adobe Reader has been my 6,000 page, 74MB service manual. It always opened fine, but due to the functional limitations of the application, it was next to impossible to use.

Now after this latest update (and a delete/reinstall of Adobe Reader) the large PDF file doesn't open and the application crashes and exits while trying to open it.

Just great. They've somehow taken a ****ty app and made it worse. Congrats!
    06-22-11 01:35 AM
    Man, sorry to read this. the PDF reader, as bad as it is, is a killer app for me. its the main thing i use my PB for. So, i guess no upgrade for me. iF you get a solution please post!
    06-22-11 06:52 AM
    It's almost as if they (whoever "they" are) doesn't want people to read on the playbook. There are many issues with the Adobe Reader even before this update, Kobo can't side load any books and the Kindle app isn't out yet. This is 2 months after the playbook release and the options for reading on the device is very limited.

Ironic since the 7" size of the playbook makes it ideal for reading books.

RIM needs to get off their *** with this.
    06-22-11 08:04 AM
    It's almost as if they (whoever "they" are) doesn't want people to read on the playbook. There are many issues with the Adobe Reader even before this update, Kobo can't side load any books and the Kindle app isn't out yet. This is 2 months after the playbook release and the options for reading on the device is very limited.

Ironic since the 7" size of the playbook makes it ideal for reading books.

RIM needs to get off their *** with this.
    This may be the best rationale for why stuff is missing. Amazon and Kobo both make reading devices. They probably figure that the 10 inch heavy ipad will not replace those light/smaller reading devices. Similarly, the small phones are, well, SMALL. The PB could easily if people are not interested in e-ink screens. I like this conspiracy theory the best and I'm not joking!
    06-22-11 08:45 AM
    If RIM didn't want you to read on the PB why did they include the Adobe app in the first place? No, i don't believe its a 'conspiracy" I think they just did not want to invest the dollars into decent software development. Now they are paying that price with poor sales.
    06-22-11 08:59 AM
    Adobe Reader isn't just about opening books and reading.

The PlayBook is a "Business" device and as such should have no problems opening up PDF documents and using all the features in a standard desktop PDF reader.

When I do service calls I need to have equipment manuals with me. Many of these manuals are hundreds of pages long, but their PDF versions are all set up nicely with bookmarks. Without the bookmark feature, these manuals are next to useless.
    06-22-11 01:56 PM
    Adobe Reader isn't just about opening books and reading.

The PlayBook is a "Business" device and as such should have no problems opening up PDF documents and using all the features in a standard desktop PDF reader.

When I do service calls I need to have equipment manuals with me. Many of these manuals are hundreds of pages long, but their PDF versions are all set up nicely with bookmarks. Without the bookmark feature, these manuals are next to useless.
    I understand and agree with you! Why they would have core applications that are more limited than the ones you can buy for your Blackberry phone is beyond me. Documents To Go on my Torch is more robust.
    06-22-11 02:10 PM
    we should all write to adobe.
    06-22-11 02:26 PM
    I doubt if they will care. I'd suggest complaining to RIM. Hopefully a developer will create a better PDF reader not unlike Foxit reader for Windows
    06-22-11 02:41 PM
    Who do we complain to at RIM?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-11 04:20 PM
    Who do we complain to at RIM?

I dunno, what's Jim's email address?
    06-22-11 04:36 PM
    THIS IS THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMEL'S BACK as far as I'm concerned!!

one of the ONLY redeeming qualities of the PB for me was the (already terribly underfeatured) Adobe Reader. Now I can't read 10 pages without it crashing on me??! Honestly, if I hadn't had to sell a FRIKKIN KIDNEY to buy this thing, I'd be tempted to smash it to pieces out of frustration.

the firmware update that brings absolutely ZERO tangible improvements (still waiting to be able to organize/file my browser bookmarks there, RIM!) but manages to break the PDF reader? BRAVO!

Seriously, let's not wonder why this thing isn't flying off the shelves and why RIM's stock is in the gutter. the apps SUCK (anyone who defends this App World's selection really needs to get their head out of the sand), the updates have SYSTEMATICALLY FAILED TO BRING WHAT USERS WANT for the past two months and now THIS?? you gotta be kidding me..

you couldn't **** up a product rollout more if you tried. And I'm one of the poor suckers who was in it for the long run and actually dropped 800$ on the 64 gig version. smooth move there belsunce! that'll teach ya to impulse-buy on day 2.

and to say I used to be one of the PB's defenders. I should probably change my sig
    06-22-11 08:17 PM
    I have not tried the reader since the update - guess I should but has anyone opened a ticket with Rim and has there been any response?
    06-22-11 08:28 PM
    Has anyone contacted RIM tech support,?
    06-22-11 08:52 PM
    ive contacted playbook support i had an open ticket which they closed. i am unable to open some pdf upon further investigation blackberry said they were made in 3rd party pdf programs thus they cannot and will not support it. complete bs i cant wait for another developer to make another pdf reader

06-22-11 10:50 PM
    FWIW:
    I have 1.0.6... I just tested several PDFs, a bunch of 20 pagers that I get monthly, and a 116 page pdf. They all worked fine: I was able to use the scroll bar at the bottom to slide quckly back and forth, as well as swiping fast and furiously, no crash.
    In fact it seems pretty responsive compared to earlier versions of the OS.

I suspect the 20 pagers were made with Acrobat, but I know for a fact that two others were made with pdf printer drivers under XP (I made them), they seemed fine.
    06-22-11 11:49 PM
    I use the PB daily and mostly for viewing pdf files. I get contracts emailed to me all the time (I'm a real estate agent.) My magazines are 17-25MB each and I've been using the PB for them as well.
    This isn't acceptable.
    RIM will work on it but it better be quick. I can always go back to using a netbook but RIM can't easily bounce back from a PB disaster
    06-23-11 06:53 AM
    I opened a ticket on this problem with RIM yesterday. They asked some questions about PDF file size, etc., but no resolution yet. Based on my experience and reading the thread, it appears the problem is generated by either newspaper or magazines PDF's. I can't read the Atlanta Journal without the system crashing after a few pages, but I can open and read longer documents that are internally generated.
    06-23-11 08:02 AM
    Offers of purchase and sale can be upwards of 1-2 MB when sent from a scanner/copier. These are large enough to cause the Adobe app to crash.
    06-23-11 08:28 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD