I have found that all BBC Radio stations in the UK do not work they request a different player ACC I believe.
    04-15-12 12:19 PM
    I listen to BBC Radio 4 often, on the other half's Ipod via Tune-In. Mark Kermode too every Friday on 5. Works fine from Australia and no monthly charges.

Would love a PB version.
    04-15-12 01:55 PM
    I get what some members are saying about the benefit of an app, and I agree about the interface because I use it on my Torch and a droid I have, BUT.....while there are a ton of negative "cant do" posts on this site because we keep talking about apps, apps, and more apps....I believe many people forget about the actual capabilities of this tablet and the internet.

I personally love the overall performance of my PB, and I use it far more than my Toshiba Thrive, which is an awesome tablet, btw....and although I will not turn this into an ipad vs PB thread, I am impressed at what the PB CAN do over an ipad. Take away the apps and the games on an ipad, and the networking, browser, and overall performance of the PB shine through.

What I want to emphacize here is that with a little bit of experimentation and ingenuity, we can overcome many of the "shortcomings" of the PB as it is today.

Bottom line, is without Kindle, Netflix, and Skype issues....the playing field would be a lot different.

I'm going to stay the course and keep finding workarounds, because that's what I think helps us discover more about what the untapped or unconventional abilities of what the PB is capable of.

Anyway, like I said.....this isnt a comparison thread, but strictly about what a little bit of playing around with the web can accomplish.

Thanks to all for your comments.
    Last edited by costas1966; 04-15-12 at 02:09 PM.
    04-15-12 01:56 PM
    I have found that all BBC Radio stations in the UK do not work they request a different player ACC I believe.
    BBC Radio - The home of BBC Radio on the internet

BBC's iPlayer works well, for RADIO. I'm listening to BBC Radio 4 on the PB right now.
    04-15-12 03:27 PM
    Just found another solution......create a TuneIn account (free) and set up presets, etc....it now streams directly!

That was nice and easy.

Lesson of the day.....we dont need an app for everything...just a little ingenuity!

@Raymond ......thanks, I've used that as well.
    thanks. i'll do that when i get home... still waiting for tunein for playbook... the purchased version on my android phone is awesome.
    brmrus likes this.
    04-15-12 04:13 PM
    Thank you for finding a solution instead of a problem!
    04-15-12 05:29 PM
    I'd pay for TuneIn or another comparable app but am making due sith the web until one becomes available.

http://www.live365.com/index.live
    Last edited by stewartj1; 04-15-12 at 05:37 PM.
    04-15-12 05:32 PM
    My only Radio Gripe for PB is that Nobex Radio wont give me BBC Radio1
    04-15-12 05:50 PM
    I use the TuneIn website on my Playbook and it works just fine. Gotta love JazzFM out of London. Couldn't live without it.
    JAZZ...really man oh man.....I'll be looking tonight as soon as it's done charging thanks......one would think a city of millions that Houston would still have it's jazz stations but now it's full of norteno music ....

Shout cast is ok but I have to stop what I'm doing in the garage to like every song and build up a library so this would be the deal here...
    So Gerald Alright and fourplay here I come....
    04-15-12 06:55 PM
    I get what some members are saying about the benefit of an app, and I agree about the interface because I use it on my Torch and a droid I have, BUT.....while there are a ton of negative "cant do" posts on this site because we keep talking about apps, apps, and more apps....I believe many people forget about the actual capabilities of this tablet and the internet.

I personally love the overall performance of my PB, and I use it far more than my Toshiba Thrive, which is an awesome tablet, btw....and although I will not turn this into an ipad vs PB thread, I am impressed at what the PB CAN do over an ipad. Take away the apps and the games on an ipad, and the networking, browser, and overall performance of the PB shine through.

What I want to emphacize here is that with a little bit of experimentation and ingenuity, we can overcome many of the "shortcomings" of the PB as it is today.

Bottom line, is without Kindle, Netflix, and Skype issues....the playing field would be a lot different.

I'm going to stay the course and keep finding workarounds, because that's what I think helps us discover more about what the untapped or unconventional abilities of what the PB is capable of.

Anyway, like I said.....this isnt a comparison thread, but strictly about what a little bit of playing around with the web can accomplish.

Thanks to all for your comments.
    This requires that developers do some major work on their mobile versions though. Using Tunein as an example again, yes it can be used through the browser. But the interface is horrid compared to the App. It's like using a completely different service. And I seem to run into a lot of quirks even running it on the browser. Each station player opens in a new tab, which is super annoying. Everything is right at your fingertips in the app.

The 'try using the browser' mantra is popular on this forum, but it's just not a GOOD alternative in a lot of cases right now. It's a workaround. Maybe down the road the mobile web versions will be as good or better than the app versions. But they aren't right now. And the companies seem more focused on developing their apps. Which makes sense because it's a bigger market, and a lot of the apps are pay apps.
    Last edited by torndownunit; 04-16-12 at 06:20 AM.
    04-16-12 05:51 AM
    This requires that developers do some major work on their mobile versions though. Using Tunein as an example again, yes it can be used through the browser. But the interface is horrid compared to the App. It's like using a completely different service. And I seem to run into a lot of quirks even running it on the browser. Each station player opens in a new tab, which is super annoying. Everything is right at your fingertips in the app.

The 'try using the browser' mantra is popular on this forum, but it's just not a GOOD alternative in a lot of cases right now. It's a workaround. Maybe down the road the mobile web versions will be as good or better than the app versions. But they aren't right now. And the companies seem more focused on developing their apps. Which makes sense because it's a bigger market, and a lot of the apps are pay apps.
    You're right...the app does run better than the browser method...but for now, I am just happy that there is a decent workaround.

I'd love to see an app as well.
    04-16-12 01:28 PM
    I use Nobex.
    I've got to say I have no problems whatsoever with Nobex as well. I can even find stations from my city...

I'd say we're served nicely...
    04-16-12 02:28 PM
    Norbex
    The only complaints for Nobex is that one; it doesn't have an option to set a timer to shut off the app so that, say, if you want to listen to a radio station while going to sleep, you cant have the app automatically shut off and the Playbook shut off; two, at least for me, I have never been able to get the premium edition to work, i.e., I cant purchase it from App World, so I'm unable to get the stations that I really want; and three, it's missing stations from Rogers Media, eg., News 1130 in Vancouver.

TuneIN
    As for TuneIN, there will not be an app for this program. They have no intention of releasing an app if their twitter responses over the past several months to such requests are to believed. The browser works reasonably well; the only difficulty I have is that in my saved list of stations, when I click on one to play, the browser thinks that I'm trying to move/re-order the station lists. It's annoying but workable I suppose. And like Norbex, it's impossible to set up a timer such as a waking up/sleeping when listening to radio stations.

Iceberg Radio
    The folks at Iceberg Radio Iceberg Radio are/have given thought to developing an app for the Playbook. It may be an Android port of their app that they are currently developing. You can see their response to my question here: Blackberry Playbook / Suggestions / Discussion Area - AccuRadio Support
    Their website works well in the browser too.

Digitally Imported
    Lastly, the folks at Digitally Imported have given a firm and resounding no to developing a native app for the Playbook nor for porting over their Android app. I had hoped that since they have an app for BB phones that works extremely well that they would also be supporting the Playbook; sadly, that's not the case.
    04-16-12 03:02 PM
    Anybody has tried the "Listenor" native app for shoutcast radio? Expecting your radio lover suggestions to improve it. Thanks.
    05-29-12 04:39 AM
    I sideloaded Jango and it works fine on my PB for streaming music.
    05-29-12 06:51 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD