I listen to a lot of my favorite international stations using TuneIn on my Torch, or my media player at home, but I wanted something for my PB as well.

Well.....in the absence of a decent app for international stations, I tried using my Splashtop app to access my home computer and then use TuneIn from there, and VOILA!!! I can now stream my favorite stations to my PB.

This may not be serious news, but when I searched the threads, I saw several complaints, but no real solutions.

I'm not talking about local stations, before anyone mentions it....I know there's Slacker and something else for that.

If anyone has a better solution, I would love to hear it.

Cheers.
    Denus and Stewartj1 like this.
    04-14-12 05:13 PM
    Try shoutcast.com - it has an international section. Hope it helps.
    nazreil25 likes this.
    04-14-12 05:36 PM
    Just found another solution......create a TuneIn account (free) and set up presets, etc....it now streams directly!

That was nice and easy.

Lesson of the day.....we dont need an app for everything...just a little ingenuity!

@Raymond ......thanks, I've used that as well.
    nazreil25 likes this.
    04-14-12 05:43 PM
    I use the TuneIn website on my Playbook and it works just fine. Gotta love JazzFM out of London. Couldn't live without it.
    nazreil25 and Chinookman like this.
    04-14-12 05:45 PM
    I use Nobex.
    grumpa and diegonei like this.
    04-14-12 08:00 PM
    I do wish that IHeart Radio would come to the PB in an app.

Tim
    04-14-12 08:25 PM
    No need to stream Tunein from Splashtop: go right to it on your PB browser and create a shortcut on your homescreen.

Nobex is pretty good too. Stations start streaming really fast.
    04-14-12 08:29 PM
    Yes the TuneIN website works pretty good on the PB.
    mikeplus1 likes this.
    04-14-12 08:43 PM
    Just found another solution......create a TuneIn account (free) and set up presets, etc....it now streams directly!

That was nice and easy.

Lesson of the day.....we dont need an app for everything...just a little ingenuity!

Of course because the website allows you to record radio to play radio later, set timers to record and wake up to a station via an alarm...

That's of course is if the browser doesn't crash every few minutes.

You know it is great if you are even mildly happy with using the web to work around RIM's failings but promoting this as some kind of panacea for a lacking device isn't doing you, RIM or the PB any favours.
    torndownunit likes this.
    04-15-12 01:52 AM
    Nobex is pretty good too. Stations start streaming really fast.
    Nobex is one of those Internet Radio apps where their almost-inexplicable business model is to try to insert their "Premium" third-party Paywall between the first-party listener and what is almost always free streaming content from second-party sources.

As a general rule, one should *never* pay a monthly fee for Internet audio, especially if it's available for free directly from the source.

Nobex is using the same business model as Live365. Typically, they don't even re-stream it, they simply provide an index.

Noted: Nobex has a free version, provided you stay inside your country. A pure marketing ploy considering most audio streams ignore borders. An Nobex-invented filter.

Excuse the rant. This business model annoys me.
    04-15-12 06:45 AM
    TuneIn or shoutcast stream works good for me.
    04-15-12 06:55 AM
    Of course because the website allows you to record radio to play radio later, set timers to record and wake up to a station via an alarm...

You know it is great if you are even mildly happy with using the web to work around RIM's failings but promoting this as some kind of panacea for a lacking device isn't doing you, RIM or the PB any favours.
    Ok, well I do have to agree with you here. The website is a nice work around but an App would be better.
    04-15-12 07:31 AM
    This is fine example of why "apps" are usually not required. Instead of being lazy and just using what has been packaged for you by others take advantage of the full Internet.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    04-15-12 08:03 AM
    This is fine example of why "apps" are usually not required. Instead of being lazy and just using what has been packaged for you by others take advantage of the full Internet.
    No it's not. And how does using an App make you lazy?
    04-15-12 08:13 AM
    Anyone know of a service that will play this station KTCK-AM

It's a am radio station in dallas TX 1310 theticket. I can play it on my 9800 using Nobex app, but it's not available on the playbook. Tried most others , shoutcast, wonder radio and a bunch of android radios.

Thanks
    Last edited by stesyl; 05-29-12 at 07:43 AM.
    04-15-12 08:33 AM

That was nice and easy.

That solutions works and I tried it awhile ago, but I still prefer the interface of the app and miss it a lot.
    04-15-12 08:55 AM

RIM gave the playbook an excellent browser...that's hardly a failing

Almost every time I web browse with the pb the web pages render beautifully

html5 should give web pages the app functionality people miss...and the playbook will have the top html5 browser
    Last edited by anthogag; 04-15-12 at 09:03 AM.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    04-15-12 08:56 AM

That was nice and easy.

I agree with the above posters, learn to use the internet and refuse to be crippled by an app for that.
    04-15-12 08:58 AM
    I agree with the above posters, learn to use the internet and refuse to be crippled by an app for that.
    Have you used the iOS or Android version? The app interface is FAR better than the web interface. It's one of the best apps I have used. I can get it's functionality using the web site, but it's not the same thing at all.

RE Nobex, nice software but ridiculous costs for premium version. $3.99 a month to access internet radio? There are dozens of apps you can get for free or cheap that perform the same function (well, you can for other devices anyway). I hope more of these come to Playbook.
    04-15-12 09:01 AM
    RIM gave the playbook an excellent browser...that's hardly a failing

Almost every time I web browse with the pb the web pages render beautifully

html5 should give web pages the app functionality people miss...and the playbook will have the top html5 browser
    The browser is okay, flash is a negative for me as it stays turned off. Browser crashes far too often.

Tune-In website renders far too tiny for constant use. Just dumped my BB for a Lumia 800 so bridging isn't an issue in terms of bandwidth anymore.

However, as said the website doesn't have record functions, timer functions, snooze functions, wake up to radio alarm functions. The IOS version of Tune-In makes access of world radio stations pleasant and intuitive, the buggy crash often web version is tiresome, laborious and unpleasant to use daily.
    04-15-12 09:49 AM
    I'll happily take as many Internet Radio apps as are available. So long as they're free and free to use, and I don't mind if they make their money with a little banner ad.

I don't know why Google hasn't yet built a Google Radio search engine. A search engine that would return elegantly formatted graphical links to tested-and-working audio streams compatible with your browser and plug-ins. Not only would it be trivial for them to implement, it would rightfully kill off the 3rd party paywall business model.
    Fmar likes this.
    04-15-12 09:53 AM
    I love Slacker radio most of all and the playbook has a decent app (or u can use the website).

Outside of that I recommend shoutcast (Free Internet Radio - SHOUTcast Radio - Listen to Free Online Radio Stations).
    04-15-12 09:55 AM
    I use Nobex for all my radio needs.
    04-15-12 10:08 AM
    So you just flat out ignore the features that apps have that aren't possible in the corresponding site?
    04-15-12 10:13 AM
    Shoutcast.com is really hard to beat, but I like Oldschool Journey Radio (free) for international radio stations on my PlayBook and use Internet Digital Radio Tuner (free) on my PC, but there are a few dozen other "Radio" apps in AppWorld. I also have Retro Radio installed on my PlayBook in addition to Slacker (for my favs) and Nobex (for Howard Stern and others). TuneInRadio Pro is my favorite app for my BB now that Yesterberry is gone.
    04-15-12 10:41 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD