Then stick to ur stupid ipad, take ur whining somewhere else
    Typical example of the sucky reaction to anything negative by the crackberry member community, no wonder this forum is now getting such a poor reputation.
    OneArmJack likes this.
    02-26-12 03:52 AM
    Let's see. No Google Earth. Bing Maps is GARBAGE. No decent Dictionary app. No Epocrates. No Netflix app. No Pandora app. No CNBC app. No Kindle app. No decent YellowPages app. The appalling lack of decent apps is mind blowing. No wonder the Playbook is such a failure. I purchased this device for its form factor and build quality. I am SHOCKED at the PATHETIC selection of apps however. I hope better apps surface SOON. I paid $199 for my device. It is worth no more than that, in any configuration in its current state. What a waste of potential. The app selection is killing this device. This is truly a bare bones tablet.
    Google Earth - blame google
    Netflix - blame netflix
    Pandora - use your awesome
    CNBC - blame CNBC
    Kindle - blame amazon for saying its coming but taking their sweet time or you can pay .99 for ePUB and read your books there
    YellowPages - the browser does it. download Poynt has YellowPages built in.

i wont bother commenting on anything else. fairly new to the market the OS is fairly new to the market. what did you expect for it to come out and have everything you want? iOS and Andriod certainly didnt it takes time to build things up.
    02-26-12 07:09 AM
    There is really no need to defend or attack RIM in this case. RIM does not write the apps other than the core ones.
    That's true; however, blame can be directed at RIM for providing an App World in which basic search functions, presentation functions, and minimum requirements for descriptions of app functionality, are poor at best.

I recognize that there will always be "crap" apps in any App World on any platform; but being that that is the case, there needs to be a better way of searching apps so users can find quality apps.

As one example, the pictures of the apps are too small, of poor quality, with some apps failing to not include them - even browsing from a website, the images are too small and too poor of quality - this should be changed: bigger pictures, high-def images, along with making it mandatory for developers to provide pictures of an app.

Second example, particularly if there is a cost associated for an app, there should be a minimum explanation of what the app does. This should not include the following "this app is super excellent app". Really? So what exactley does it do. Perhaps RIM can implement sometype of mandatory description that clearly indicates what the app does.

Third example, when searching for apps, there should be additional filters, e.g., portrait/non portrait use; android/native; date added to appworld; etc. As for the existing filters, try actually getting them to work, e.g., searching for apps and then filtering them by ratings, one would think that it would list all the 5 star apps first followed by 4 followed by 3, etc. Instead, you get some 5 apps, then a few 3, then a 2, then a 5, etc. The filtering is hit and miss currently.

Fourth example, reinstate the "whats been updated" filter so that users can keep track as to what apps have been updated. Related to this, when an app is updated, make it mandatory for developers to state what's actually been updated. Why changelogs are not a requirement is utterly beyond me - this includes RIM's own native apps.

Fifth example, provide users with a "notify me" option in which users could type the name of a developer to follow: whenever said developer updates their apps or introduces a new ones; a notification would go off in App World so that the user knows. In this way, if a users finds a developer who they particularly like, they can have an easier time following/buying their apps.

Sixth example; related to the fifth, provide a way for the users to "block" developers; in this way, if a user finds a developer who they do not like, the user can block all of their products from showing.

In short, the problem is not that there are crap apps in App World - the problem is being able to use App World to make it substantially easer to find good apps while filtering out the crap.
    patpatiar and gravymonster like this.
    02-26-12 08:54 AM
    While I do agree with you that the playbook at this point of time is missing some key apps, but why don't you sideload these apps. Believe me sideloading is no rocket science. Crackberry members do a fantastic job at explaining how to do this in their simple tutorials. You will have most of the things you mentioned- Google Maps, Dictionaries, News Apps, Kindle, Pandora et al. Netflix and Skype are something that every member in these forums is looking forward to and at this point of time has no remedy. But you will get lot of other useful apps for sideloading. Yes, it does take a little bit more effort to sideload, but I am sure that it is worth doing it and taking advantage of this fantastic device whose potential remains untapped. I have spent last couple of sleepless nights to get all the apps on my tablet that I need and it was definitely worth the effort. (Believe me it will take less time to get these apps on your tablet than the time it took you to write this post )

Let's see. No Google Earth. Bing Maps is GARBAGE. No decent Dictionary app. No Epocrates. No Netflix app. No Pandora app. No CNBC app. No Kindle app. No decent YellowPages app. The appalling lack of decent apps is mind blowing. No wonder the Playbook is such a failure. I purchased this device for its form factor and build quality. I am SHOCKED at the PATHETIC selection of apps however. I hope better apps surface SOON. I paid $199 for my device. It is worth no more than that, in any configuration in its current state. What a waste of potential. The app selection is killing this device. This is truly a bare bones tablet.
    02-26-12 09:16 AM
    I'm not sure about this apps fitting the screen size verses the website. Yes maybe on the phones but using desktop crackberry on the pb is no worse than using it on a desktop.
    02-26-12 09:30 AM
    Sir i have one thing to say. You're not happy return it but there is one thing ipad won't which pb does not being so app dependent! It's a real computer! You are a simply a ignorant user!
    02-26-12 11:56 AM
    Wow....these posts stink of denial..I bought my firesale 64G PB ONLY for the android port that will definitely come along. It's only useful purpose currently (post 2.0) is for email and calendar on the go.
    Appword ==App Ghetto
    ChaOConnor likes this.
    02-26-12 12:46 PM
    Wow....these posts stink of denial..I bought my firesale 64G PB ONLY for the android port that will definitely come along. It's only useful purpose currently (post 2.0) is for email and calendar on the go.
    Appword ==App Ghetto
    You forgot for you. There are good apps but they are hard to find. Luckily I don't need a ton of apps but that is for me.
    02-26-12 12:54 PM
    Appword ==App Ghetto
    ditto...

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    02-26-12 01:59 PM
    You should download the new app out today called ANNOYINGPEOPLE, for BB..
    02-26-12 02:56 PM
    Typical example of the sucky reaction to anything negative by the crackberry member community, no wonder this forum is now getting such a poor reputation.
    Totally man, Apengue is a total ostrich, the guy's head seems to be constantly buried in the sand!
    02-26-12 03:07 PM
    Appword ==App Ghetto
    Get into sideloading until they release the official ones, there is an excellent guide on the forums here for that. I have a tonne of Android apps working on my Playbook and 90% of them run like a charm - hardly any lag at all. I'm quite impressed!
    02-26-12 03:10 PM
    OP cry me a river.
    Learn how to read and research for your
    next purchase.
    02-26-12 04:27 PM
    So annoying...

If you don't like it get a refund. We are well aware of the problems with RIM. We know the devices' strong and weak points. We weigh these points and decide whether to get it or not. AFAIK the only reason I would get an idevice would be for apps. Everything else about it I/we hate. When you get ANY tablet, you compromise something that another tablet may do better, but you end up getting it because the pros outweigh the cons for you.

Personally, I am so far satisfied with apps in App World.

To tell me that my head is stuck in the sand is very lame. Threads like these are just wayy in abundance in these forums. It's like me going out to buy an iPad and then ******** on Apple forums:
    "What the heck!! I spent $500 for this thing and I can't even hook it up to my tv out of the box! The screen sucks and the web browser is a joke!!! It doesn't even properly multitask and the cameras, speakers and microphones are really cheap, and it has no 1080p support! Like my $200 tablet can do this.. The iPad is really a barebones tablet..."

The list can go on and on.. Get your head out of the sand.
    Last edited by apengue1; 02-26-12 at 05:15 PM.
    Hawkeberry likes this.
    02-26-12 05:12 PM
    Might I suggest returning the PlayBook, and buying a ipad. I know that when I don't like a product that I have purchased I don't let the world know how I don't do research. To come to Crackberry and complain solves nothing, but returning the product YOU don't like....might
    02-26-12 05:20 PM
    Appword ==App Ghetto
    .......than why not just buy an Android tablet, it's a very simple solution.
    KOOLWATER and TheUnknownUser like this.
    02-26-12 05:25 PM
    why do iFans think that having work around apps cause your browser sucks as a good thing? Why download stuff and waste your time when you really dont have to? iFans are so frickin brainwashed its disgusting.
    llllBULLSEYE likes this.
    02-26-12 05:29 PM
    WOW this thread has really opened my eyes... My Computer SUCKS

it has no pandora App, or Netflix app, or imdb app, no dedicated app for crackberry, or facebook, twitter or tumblr, no 4chan app, no 9gag reader app, no online banking apps. my computer doesnt even have google maps app, let alone a bing maps app.

Jesus, its a wonder how i ever get anything done on my computer.

maybe this is just a crazy idea... but what if someone were to create an app for ALL these things, right, and then, Merge ALL these things into one giant app, and then give us some way of navigating this app, a way to browse through it all, quickly and easily to find exactly what we want... maybe even have a simple way of marking specific bits out so we could find them easily again... no... its too crazy to work. just ignore me, im clearly insane.
    02-26-12 07:24 PM
    I just am stunned at the hate for the Appworld. The only conclusion I can come up with is that you haven't LOOKED around enough there. There are some really awesome titles there, and I've been filling my PB up with them! Great games like Plunk, Tofu, Tofu 2....awesome apps like the QR Creator, photo editor...even a Morse Code generator. This is just some things that stuck in my head that I downloaded today, but I have nearly 10GB of my 64GB PB filled with great stuff. I have Android devices as well...and yeah...the market has anything and everything you would ever desire. Problem is, it has toooo much of what you would NOT desire. The Appworld is small, but it's overall quality is greater in my personal opinion. The market is like going to NYC and walking the streets, while the Appworld is like going to town in your neighborhood and browsing the local stores Always good stuff to be had in either instance.
    02-26-12 10:01 PM
    To the OP

In all fairness, CNBC can stream it's videos online with the browser. Poynt does a search with Yellow Pages. As for a dictionary ? Once again, use the internet with your BB Bridge. Since you already own an ipad2 you can get all the other apps you complained about at the start of your nonsensical rant.

I'm sorry that you suffer from the ( "There's an app for that" ) Apple disease . Maybe your ipad2 has an app for common sense.
    ciabo likes this.
    02-27-12 12:06 AM
    Typical example of ****** who comes to a blackberry forum to trashtalk about blackberry products.... Gimme a break lol, this forum is for help and discussion on the playbook, specifically its apps, not to trash talk about RIM's job on the playbook, even more when RIM is not to blame when the developers dont want to make the apps for the playbook, even when its totally capable of running it
    02-27-12 12:25 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD