12-23-11 11:15 AM
38 12
tools
    It gets a bashing because it isn't a 'good' device to many users and lacks simple functionality that should have shipped as basic on day one.

Think what could have happened... instead of RIM having to fix these issues with rewrite of the OS... they could have done the job right first time... and then spend that time making that OS more than just functional for February but exceptional and beyond what everyone could have expected.

Like you device if it works for you. That's important but let's not pretend that it has been a fully functional tablet that lives up to RIMs launch tag line of 'The World's First Professional Grade Tablet'.
    But then people like me could not have been saving time and money this whole time...happy to have had it early and watch it grow personally.

Children are annoying but would you rather have one all grown up when it is born or would you rather watch and aid in its development?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-21-11 at 11:47 PM.
    12-21-11 10:55 PM
    Another point which people havent touched on is typing. I find the iPad too big to comfortably type on in landscape while the Playbook is just right.
    This. I've spoken with several people who own smaller tablets (no, not playbooks...definitely feel like I'm the only one in this city who still has one) and they say they chose their tablet because of the ease of typing. They also say that the tablet for them is almost a replacement for their smartphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-11 11:18 PM
    One man once said, "it's not about the size of the boat, but the motion of the ocean" i think this fits perfectly for (playbook vs ipad)
    12-21-11 11:40 PM
    I personally find a 7" tablet to be the perfect size. Bigger tablets feel too cumbersome for me and I have absolutely no problems at all with web browsing on the PB's screen.
    12-21-11 11:56 PM
    Great conversation everyone. True that neither can really be pocketed, but the 7" sure is easier to carry around. I don't find web surfing that troublesome on the PB because I'm not using it for 10 straight hours at work, just for convenience and fun. It is good to have choice and it will be interesting to see if RIM enters the 10 inch tablet market sometime in the future.
    Actually it does fit my jacket inside pocket, but not my lighter jacket if it's in the Otterbox. In the summer it fits in my motorcycle tank bag perfectly, my motorcycle jacket rear pouch and my daily carry North Face day pack. 10" pads will not fit in any of those locations. I personally have no issues browsing, but my wife prefers her iPad for home browsing, but takes the PB when leaving. The 10" is too large for her for portability. If I want a larger screen, I use my 13" XPS.
    12-22-11 12:20 AM
    I think things are the wrong way around at the moment.

The iPad has loads of apps and a throttled web experience whereas the PlayBook has few apps and the 'full' web experience. I believe this is the wrong way around.

When I owned the iPad it annoyed me that I was encouraged to use apps and mobile sites despite the screen size allowing for comfortable full web viewing.

On the other hand I find the PlayBook to be an awkward size when viewing full websites, and I would far rather have simplified apps optimized for this screen size.

I'm not sure whether I would prefer Apple to build a ~7 inch device or RIM to build a 10 inch device, but at the moment I'm not sure there is really a device which meets my requirements.

What do you think? Personally I have been considering the Galaxy tab 7.7 but it doesn't look like it's ever going to be released!

If you need larger, the Galaxy 8.9 is out.
    12-22-11 12:27 AM
    I wasn't really looking to debate 7 vs 10 inch, I think it's obviously what the benefits of each are in that respect.

I was more saying that if you're going to make a 7 inch tablet then you need to focus on apps and mobile sites than if you have a 10 inch tablet.

I guess Apple sees the future as a web-browser-free world and is really investing for the future with these apps.
    Apple makes 30 cents on the dollar for App sales. Makes sense for them to push Apps down our throats from a financial standpoint.
    12-22-11 04:58 AM
    I prefer the thicker tabs to the longer ones.
    12-22-11 05:05 AM
    Apple makes 30 cents on the dollar for App sales. Makes sense for them to push Apps down our throats from a financial standpoint.
    Google has the same "App Tax" rate of 30%. Not sure what RIM does. What's your point?
    12-22-11 09:09 AM
    RIMM initially made 20% on app sales, and then upped it to 30%. The point I believe Shake is making that he's rather it be RIM, and not the other guy(z) pushing their apps.
    12-22-11 09:11 AM
    RIMM initially made 20% on app sales, and then upped it to 30%. The point I believe Shake is making that he's rather it be RIM, and not the other guy(z) pushing their apps.
    Can you make sense out of what you're saying?

All Tablet manufacturers get revenue from App sales, this is the exact reason things are getting ugly in Android world with regards to App market, as these guys saw a nice business model Apple created.

Back to topic, smaller screen definitely requires more dedicated apps. I have a lot of Apps on my Iphone that I find very convenient but many are replacement of web pages. The bigger the screen size, this benefit diminishes but opens up other possibilities. On 7" I still do prefer dedicated apps, one perfect example is subsonic I'm currently struggling with. The dedicated app SonicAir looks nices and has nice features, far better than subsonic web client from usability standpoint.
    12-22-11 09:21 AM
    I guess Apple sees the future as a web-browser-free world and is really investing for the future with these apps.
    Maybe, I think it is more that a App world will generate revenue while allowing to have a constant look and feel.

With the web, a site's appearance changes depending on which browser you look at.
    12-22-11 09:24 AM
    thats pretty funny never thought of it that way before
    12-23-11 11:15 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD