blackberry playbook needs skype and netflix .. it would make the playbook 10,000x better and i bet if they would have these 2 apps , there sales would go up ..
    Last edited by brkiko201; 09-11-11 at 07:17 PM.
    tmaka likes this.
    09-11-11 07:02 PM
    I agree....although there are numerous others that people want/need that would definitely boost sales as well.
    09-11-11 07:36 PM
    I was expecting you to say iTunes on BlackBerry Playbook LOL D:!

iOS App Player!
    09-11-11 07:37 PM
    8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1. Says you.
    09-11-11 07:37 PM
    blackberry playbook needs skype and netflix .. it would make the playbook 10,000x better and i bet if they would have these 2 apps , there sales would go up ..
    I doubt it would make a measurable difference, honestly. The fact that those apps are not available is indicative of a greater issue (lack of apps in general) but there are other platforms which have those apps and don't sell like hot cakes.

The lack of a Kindle app is a much bigger issue for me, personally... and the lack of native email is even bigger than that (in fact, as much as I want a Playbook I won't buy one until a decent, native mail app is available).

RIM needs to quickly finish the base software suite and that itself would help quite a bit.
    09-11-11 07:49 PM
    Absolutely! Would definately make things interesting. Looking forward to video conferencing. Besides Blackberry Video Chat and ReelPortal, anything else out there for video conferencing? Anyone? Please?
    Last edited by bayotte; 09-11-11 at 07:53 PM.
    09-11-11 07:50 PM
    I think the responses make clear why a lot of apps is a desirable thing. Everybody wants something a little different. i don't need either Skype or Netflix, but there are a few others that would be killer for me. I think we need the Android player ASAP. It would fill the gaps while the number of Playbooks increased to critical mass to get the developers to create native apps.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    09-11-11 08:00 PM
    I think the responses make clear why a lot of apps is a desirable thing. Everybody wants something a little different. i don't need either Skype or Netflix, but there are a few others that would be killer for me. I think we need the Android player ASAP. It would fill the gaps while the number of Playbooks increased to critical mass to get the developers to create native apps.
    The Android player could be a godsend in the short term. I worry about its longterm implications, though.

I honestly think developers will be LESS inclined to make native apps if the Playbook suddenly handles their current Android offerings.

The same situation horribly crippled app support for IBM's OS/2 operating system in the early and mid 90's. It ran DOS and Windows apps so well that most developers just directed OS/2 users to their Windows software.

...and this kills brand/ product loyalty. If you end up using your Playbook to run Android apps, the general consumer will just look to Android devices the next time they want to purchase a tablet.
    Last edited by jtfolden; 09-11-11 at 08:23 PM. Reason: stupid spelling mistakes...
    09-11-11 08:04 PM
    The Android player could be a godsend in the short term. I worry about its longterm implications, though.

I honestly think developers will be LESS inclined to make native apps if the Playbook suddenly handles their current Android offerings.

The same situation horribly crippled app support for IBM's OS/2 operating system in the early and mid 90's. It ran DOS and Windows apps so well that most developers just directed OS/2 users to their Windows software.

...and this kills brand/ product loyalty. If you end up using your Playbook to run Android apps, the general consumer will just look to Android devices he enxt time they want to purchase a tablet.
    I could not agree more. Until reading this I honestly felt like I was the only one against the Android Player in any way
    09-11-11 08:17 PM
    For me a must have app would:
    - a better ADOBE READER
    - a decent calculator (advanced CAS)

Skype isnt needed when there's imo available. Great call quality.
    09-11-11 09:28 PM
    Skype I completely agree with but it's possible it might work with Android Player- at the time being I use IMO.im. As for Google+, the web browser on the PB displays Google+ perfectly as if you're on it from your PC.

Justin.tv is another thing I like to do from the PB and it does a good job of it (can even stream from the camera).
    Last edited by sookster54; 09-11-11 at 09:53 PM.
    09-11-11 09:48 PM
    why Netflix? Everyone I know is canceling it.
    sf49ers and chiefbroski like this.
    09-11-11 09:50 PM
    why Netflix? Everyone I know is canceling it.
    Infact I cancelled my mine as of last week, I don't feel the urge for netflix anymore as I was not using it lately at all (last time I saw a movie was 2 months ago (Ip Man)), now I found other alternatives ..
    09-11-11 09:58 PM
    i am not a Skype or Netflix user, the 2 things i would like for the PlayBook would be a full blown Microsoft Office app, a full functioning Word and Excel would be sweet (my laptop got fried and decided on replacing it with the PlayBook). and the 2nd would be the Bluetooth keyboard that Rim made for the PlayBook (i know its not an app). a bonus would be the case to carry the PlayBook and keyboard together.....
    09-11-11 10:44 PM
    thelink:

I wonder if the keyboard is on hold until they decide there's enough momentum behind the pb itself to justify tooling up production on an accessory.
    09-11-11 11:55 PM
    i don't use skype, and likely never will. i had thought skype worked via the brower? can someone please confirm?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-11 12:30 AM
    I can't agree more....but 2 more added plx....the IM+ and MSN....

also the android player....if ok...iOS player....haha
    09-12-11 03:02 AM
    i don't use skype, and likely never will. i had thought skype worked via the brower? can someone please confirm?

but it doesn't work on the PlayBook browser.
    09-12-11 05:11 AM
    Geez, the PB should be able to run anything that can run on an iPad (I'm not talking about iPad specific apps here). Things you can run from a PC or a Mac through a simple browser like Chrome.
    The PB vid chat seems like a good idea but I have no friends I need to vid chat with that own a PB, so it is useless to me.
    I think it will mature into something more useful as lomg as it is not crushed in the market by the Android clones.
    09-12-11 06:32 AM
    I would like to be able to use my bb keyboard as a keyboard for my playbook. I absolutely despise touch screen keyboards, and am always having to switch to my bb to type, when using my pb.

09-12-11 08:35 AM
    Netflix and Skype would definitely boost sales of the Playbook. If any sales guy in Best Buy can tell a consumer 'You can plug into into your big screen TV and play Netflix' and 'there is a Skype app you can make cheap/free calls with' it would be a big selling factor. The majority of people may not know what a Playbook is, but mention those 2 apps, and 90% of people can now relate to it.
    09-12-11 09:04 AM
    I just want an IM app that works with yahoo and doesn't constantly time out or have the need to refresh every couple of minutes.
    Psye likes this.
    09-12-11 09:57 AM
    For me a must have app would:
    - a better ADOBE READER
    - a decent calculator (advanced CAS)

Skype isnt needed when there's imo available. Great call quality.
    yes there are other apps available for calling, the thing with skype is that it is one of the most popular ones. For years I tried getting parents, friends etc to get whatever the hot calling solution was at the time, and nobody bothered to get it. Too complicated for the average user. I myself never used skype, or any other voip or calling app that required a computer. A phone, even though it might cost more, is so much simpler.

That all changed though with ios. Now i use skype on a very regular basis, as well as viber. its so simple to have someone download an app, and then be able to get push notifications and use it just like a phone, wifi or no wifi.

Infact i bought my whole family (5 people) iphones, just so they could have skype and viber, since we are all in different parts of the world. and te video chat is a great added bonus. THAT is what ubiquitous standards do for your platform. People leaning towards getting a PB, but realizing it doesn't have these basic communication programs, might get the platform that everyone else is using just because of the interoperability.
    09-12-11 10:11 AM
    Infact i bought my whole family (5 people) iphones, just so they could have skype and viber, since we are all in different parts of the world. and te video chat is a great added bonus. THAT is what ubiquitous standards do for your platform. People leaning towards getting a PB, but realizing it doesn't have these basic communication programs, might get the platform that everyone else is using just because of the interoperability.
    Spot on, Zank.
    09-12-11 11:06 AM
    we've been through this a lot of times. This has 'troll bait' written all over it
    09-12-11 12:16 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD