Three weeks ago, the belief was that all the missing things a lot of people have been waiting for would be released at DevCon.
    - Native email (not bridge based)
    - Other Native PIM programs
    - Android player (made it in and as I have been saying, it's as cumbersome as an emulator)
    - Colt?? (longshot, sure, but still would have been exciting)

The whole "Dev BETA" vs "Consumer BETA" was not on anyones vocabulary, and yet, every other thread it is common.

Since there seem to be camps that are expecting this release to offer more than what it does, and the other camp that feels the first camp can't complain... Can we now get back to complai^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hasking for what has been asked for since April?

Opening up the Beta to everyone was a smokescreen. The real GA 2.0 was not ready or something must have gone wrong at the last minute. BETA programs are nothing new, and this BETA could have been just opened as usual so that the Devcon show could release really big things like 2.0GA.

The BBX "announcement" was a smokescreen. What is BBX, the trademark name for the Nextgen BB??? A name? And one that another company already has trademarked a?? If this was a real thought out with t's crossed and Is dotted announcement, the BB team would have not been blindsided by that legal tidbit. Now RIM will have to pay $$ for that mistake to keep the New Mexico company quiet.

Ok great we know now that it will be called BBX. But since 2.0 was not ready for Devcon, we get this scrap of an announcement.

RIM scrambled, twisted and made everyone forget about the real expectations.
    Last edited by melander; 10-21-11 at 08:23 PM.
    10-21-11 08:15 PM
    OK, you got that out but could've gotten it out in any of the many other threads on the same subject.
    BSFA2008 likes this.
    10-21-11 08:26 PM
    We didn't forget about what was expected. RIM had better fix this mess they've made... And fix it fast... I (and countless others I've talked to) are ready to jump ship.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    FF22 likes this.
    10-21-11 08:28 PM
    OK, you got that out but could've gotten it out in any of the many other threads on the same subject.
    The other threads had other themes:
    -"I don't like 2.0 BETA" or "Stop complaining, it's just a BETA"

My point in starting a new thread is, take Devcon for what it was then take it out of the picture, what about the expectations?
    10-21-11 08:34 PM
    The other threads had other themes:
    -"I don't like 2.0 BETA" or "Stop complaining, it's just a BETA"

My point in starting a new thread is, take Devcon for what it was then take it out of the picture, what about the expectations?
    I appreciate your new thread.
    My expectations were high I'll admit... But common! Seriously... A CO-CEO did hype up DevCon and made us all think it was going to include mega goodies (os2.0 info, qnx phone, etc)... Its not like we hyped this up on our own...
    And yes... I am very let down... Extremely

10-21-11 08:42 PM
    Personally I look forward to the day when people stop talking about jumping ship and just jump ship.

Why do you need to stay on BB? You feel constantly let down, switch? Brand loyalty is moronic...
    BBThemes and peter9477 like this.
    10-21-11 08:45 PM
    At this point I can wait as it does most of what I want and it will get much better. That is until we are all told there will be no more updates from this point on.

But hey everyone can do what they feel like.
    10-21-11 08:47 PM
    Personally I look forward to the day when people stop talking about jumping ship and just jump ship.

Why do you need to stay on BB? You feel constantly let down, switch? Brand loyalty is moronic...
    We all made an investment and would like for RIM to be better than the rest. Deliver, deliver, deliver. It may be ok for some to get new devices every 6 months to whatever they feel is "winning" at the time. I think that users should take time to make their voices heard and companies should deliver good tech reasonably because that's what drives the business.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-21-11 08:55 PM
    That's why i participate in areas that are actually heard. Forum rants generally speaking are for site traffic.
    10-21-11 08:57 PM
    I am usually disappointed, but I don't understand people's disappointment this time around. The stuff being shown off is ground breaking! I love how RIM is crucified for not doing something they didn't say they were even going to do. BBX is progressing at a very very rapid rate. It is important to note that OS 2.0 that was released is not BBX, but it is almost! Get excited people and quit "boo hoo"ing for once

10-22-11 12:26 AM
    With all the developer tools, when the BBX phones do come out, heaps of apps will be available straight away.
    10-22-11 12:30 AM
    Its not a full release.

It doesn't matter what you call it.... consumer beta or developer beta. Just recognize it is not a full release...
    10-22-11 12:30 AM
    We didn't forget about what was expected. RIM had better fix this mess they've made... And fix it fast... I (and countless others I've talked to) are ready to jump ship.

The problem is that the pb is still drifting so far offshore that no one can jump or is willing to jump onto the pb-ship. And contrary to some comments, rim did say that they would be showing OS2 improvements and a new phone at devcon - they failed again.
    10-22-11 09:33 AM
    Three weeks ago, the belief was that all the missing things a lot of people have been waiting for would be released at DevCon.
    - Native email (not bridge based)
    - Other Native PIM programs
    - Android player (made it in and as I have been saying, it's as cumbersome as an emulator)
    - Colt?? (longshot, sure, but still would have been exciting)
    While some may have believed that, the belief was completely unfounded.

In the earnings call, which is the only time they'd actually mentioned 2.0 before DevCon, they explicitly said it would be merely shown at DevCon and (quote!) "released thereafter".

Anyone who missed that part simply wasn't paying attention or has a poor memory, neither of which justifies whining that RIM screwed up by releasing a beta for developers to use to test their apps.

And I should note that in the past, when they didn't release such a beta, we developers whined at them, so they should definitely get some credit for doing that this time around. I'm happy to report that both my apps, Battery Guru and White Noise, work perfectly well on 2.0. Thanks for the beta, RIM!

(And, yes, they didn't fulfill the promise to demonstrate 2.0 at DevCon, but that's largely an unrelated issue and not the point here.)
    10-22-11 09:26 PM
    it's all about leapfrogging..so the best you can do is just wait. that's what frog do..wait..see a fly coming around...and HUPPPPP!!! it;s gone
    rafman1992 likes this.
    10-22-11 11:22 PM
    I think the frog is still a tadpole. How long does it take for a tadpole to turn into a frog, I read some species can take up to 2 years. Others as quick as 2 weeks.

Lets hope its only 2 weeks... :-)
    10-23-11 05:13 AM
    I had no illusions that 2.0, Android player or BBX devices would be released at DevCon. I had assumed they would announce 2.0 and perhaps give it to developers and predicted a 3-8 week window in which customers would have access to it (so maybe by Christmas). I imagined that the QNX-based devices would be released Q3 of 2012. So, I wasn't disappointed by DevCon. I'm looking forward to everyone having 2.0 and hearing more about BBX.
    10-23-11 08:54 AM
    I'm looking forward to RIM meeting past and current expectations. If this is leapfrogging, there was not a fully developed platform to leapfrog over at the moment.
    10-23-11 09:05 AM
    Yes where are the Natives.... I've been waiting well over 60 days now

I have seen a few videos from Dev Con and it would appear that the boys at RIM have skirted over this issue and focused more on the concepts. I have actually stopped hoping and now will just accept that RIM do not have their fingers on the pulse of their consumers although they admitted that sales of the PB had suffered due to missing applications

I shall continue to bridge until i see a small logo letting me know that the update has arrived

Still loving the device but please RIM for your sake, get your acts together and make an announcement rather than giving us the 60 day treatment again. There are a lot of people still undecided on the device so your actions could make all the difference.

Long live the PB
    10-23-11 12:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD