01-31-12 08:24 AM
41 12
tools
    Can't the existing Netflix android app be used under the Android player on the Playbook when 2.0 rolls out?
    01-30-12 10:51 AM
    Wishful thinking for anyone that thinks Skype is coming.... Sure the email campaign in another thread is going to try, but its not going to happen! My contact inside RIM has said repeatedly to me that it is NOT coming anytime soon if at all....

Netflix is more likely to make an appearance before Skype is even drafted into plans for making an app. Skype (MS) and RIM haven't had a skype program as of yet, and its not going to have to one anytime soon!!!
    well thats funny. The guy over at n4bb seems to think otherwise. Pretty sure he has some more sources than you and you may or may not be right, but no one really knows besides RIM and Skype. No need to put people down..
    01-30-12 11:50 AM
    dumb and dumber reported "thousands" of new apps. Take it for what its worth.
    Things may not have gone the way they hoped with the playbook but I'm not sure I would call the creator of RIM dumb. Those two guys take a lot of heat of these forums but without them there would be no Crackberry or this awesome tablet I'm using now.
    01-30-12 11:53 AM
    i just wanna know.........can we run audio manager from android app world on the playbook??
    01-30-12 11:59 AM
    Some hits, some fun and ... 1 cloud.
    I sincerely hope there will be a filter strong enough to prevent massive garbage to get in the AppWorld. We want quality, not quantity.
    ericlc2 likes this.
    01-30-12 12:07 PM
    Can't the existing Netflix android app be used under the Android player on the Playbook when 2.0 rolls out?
    Well, there is the $64,000 question. A lot of os 2 beta users report on this forum that netflix is running fine, along with skype, through the android player.

Then you get a poster saying they use os 2 beta and this isnt the case. Why this hasnt been positively clarified one way or the other i dont know.
    01-30-12 12:21 PM
    i think rim stated that there will be a video store with thousands of videos so i doubt it will be netflix since i cant ever find a good movie on there.
    i doubt also that rim would want anything to do with skype since rim is making video chat more user friendly and they want to attract people using their own brand without having to use some other program that they do not own.
    01-30-12 12:26 PM
    well thats funny. The guy over at n4bb seems to think otherwise. Pretty sure he has some more sources than you and you may or may not be right, but no one really knows besides RIM and Skype. No need to put people down..
    well my contact works in the network development who works closely with the app development guys and the outlook is not good for Skype coming... n4bb has great sources but I may have the upper hand on this. And my contact is my girlfriends brother....
    01-30-12 12:29 PM
    Overdrive Media Console has been released in App world for OS 2.0. In case you do not know what this is it allows you check out eBooks from your library on-line. Almost 20,000 libraries use Overdrive.
    01-30-12 12:52 PM
    i doubt also that rim would want anything to do with skype since rim is making video chat more user friendly and they want to attract people using their own brand without having to use some other program that they do not own.
    Giant problem with that is that there isn't a PC/Mac version of BB Video Chat and there aren't any BB phones with front facing cameras. That means you can only video chat with other PB owners. Not a good strategy to get people to stop using Skype.

If they want to have a chance to get people to stop using Skype, they have to have a viable alternative. That means a PC/Mac version of the app.

I don't like Skype. It's a bandwidth hog that takes over your PC. But, my family uses it, my friends use it, it's almost universal. If I want to video chat with them, I have no alternative. They're not going to switch to another platform, no matter how nicely I ask (well my wife might, but other's won't - it's too much maintenance to keep a bunch of video chat applications running on your PC/Mac). Skype is a necessary evil.
    01-30-12 12:55 PM
    Blackberry needs to open up the API to allow for camera control for Android apps. Perhaps this is a setting that's defaulted to off that gives you a warning or something that a company administrator can block.

I just bought my playbook (it's on the way) and am hoping that eventually that will be allowed. The biggest app would be my bank app where I could do a check deposit via the camera. Webex would be another app I'd like to have camera access. Skype as well.
    01-30-12 01:51 PM
    To date The Astonishing Tribe has been everything except astonishing. The antiquated culture of Research In Motion lingers like an unwanted house guest. Thorsten needs to kick some posteriors with the threat of termination for any failure to deliver exceptionally in February. Failure is not an option though it seems to be the perpetual fallback position.
    Agreed, pretty hopeless release schedule of software and hardware from RIM. It's not 2000 anymore, they have some serious competition: many of whom have been eating their lunch for 4-5 years. Wake up Thornsten!
    01-30-12 02:00 PM
    Well, there is the $64,000 question. A lot of os 2 beta users report on this forum that netflix is running fine, along with skype, through the android player.

Then you get a poster saying they use os 2 beta and this isnt the case. Why this hasnt been positively clarified one way or the other i dont know.
    Source me the actual .BAR files they are using and I will check. But frankly the .7111 Android player is terrible for Kindle. And my PB never shows more than 450MB of free RAM. What is the other 1/2GB doing I wonder?
    Yeah, I know it's beta OS, but the Kindle on Android solution is quite, no extremely, fragile. If RIM would wake up and help port some key apps to PB, they could own the portable platform in several key business fields.
    01-30-12 02:03 PM
    if that date is correct, and we assume it takes 14 days for app validation, then we can approximate a release date after 21st of Feb, however a date like the 22/02/2012 is pretty cool. Or if RIM's validators can drink Red Bull, a date of 20/02/2012 for OS2.0 would be a great marketing ploy.
    If the symbolic pattern is what you are driving at with your comment, then the perfect release date would be 12/02/2012 which can be compacted to 12022012 which forms a palindrome. Now that would be FANTASTIC marketing to appeal to the cerebral crowd. Even better marketing if Research In Motion could get the BlackBerry PlayBook into the hands of Sheldon or Leonard in an episode of "Big Bang Theory" on 12 February 2012.
    01-31-12 04:37 AM
    You'd have to do 21/02/2012 to make it a palindrome... which happens to be the exact date it will come out!

Clearly RIM's "marketing" guys have been listening to Mayan predictions or something again, maybe reading tea leaves or goat entrails...
    01-31-12 08:13 AM
    i support a big bang endorsement
    01-31-12 08:24 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD