I'm curious if other app developers have seen a surge in app sales with the recent $199 discounts on PlayBooks.

Personally, my free app has seen double the normal downloads the past 3 days, and e-Mmaneul+ has also seen all-time high in per day sales.
    glassofpinot likes this.
    11-22-11 07:32 AM
    To me it looked like things were down (compared to average) in the roughly 10 days prior to the sale starting in Canada, and since the new units were available I think I've got roughly a doubling in daily sales as well. It made sense to me that there was a drop, if people were anticipating the coming sale and held back on purchasing for a bit.
    11-22-11 07:48 AM
    Too many "book apps" clogging up the system!
    11-22-11 08:03 AM
    Sales are up, but that may be because we released a new version of Files & Folders with box.net support ;-)
    11-22-11 08:46 AM
    To me it looked like things were down (compared to average) in the roughly 10 days prior to the sale starting in Canada, and since the new units were available I think I've got roughly a doubling in daily sales as well. It made sense to me that there was a drop, if people were anticipating the coming sale and held back on purchasing for a bit.
    Interesting, now that you mention it, I notice a bit of a drop off prior to the sale as well, and your thinking makes perfect sense.
    Although, the really wise ones bought ahead of time to miss the rush and then went back for price adjustments
    ninepbs likes this.
    11-22-11 09:18 AM
    up for the grab guys
    11-22-11 09:19 AM
    Interesting, now that you mention it, I notice a bit of a drop off prior to the sale as well, and your thinking makes perfect sense.
    Although, the really wise ones bought ahead of time to miss the rush and then went back for price adjustments
    Thanks, I'd like to consider it a smart idea too
    11-22-11 09:22 AM
    Yep had gone up over the weekend and now down again to 0-3 sales a day.
    11-22-11 09:36 AM
    Sold 2 to 5 copies per day last week - down from 15 per day ave last month. Averaging 10 per day since Saturday.
    11-22-11 10:19 AM
    Too many "book apps" clogging up the system!
    and useless Themes too.
    11-22-11 10:21 AM
    I think that there are clear signs that there is a spike in new PB owners. Sales of What's up are consistently above average these days and I am starting to see a steady flow of new reviews after a three week drought - including this one from last night:

"It was a lot of fun cheking out the sky from the beach of Punta Cana. You don't charge enough for the app."
    11-27-11 07:15 AM
    Sold 2 to 5 copies per day last week - down from 15 per day ave last month. Averaging 10 per day since Saturday.
    it's that bad?!

If there are half a million PB's out there and the biggest issue is they're app-starved, I'd have thought anyone selling PB apps would be making a fortune even selling junk.

I'm considering writing a few for PB but if it's that bad I won't bother. Is anyone making a real return on this thing? as in 200+ copies a day per app, not 2?
    11-28-11 10:29 PM
    it's that bad?!

If there are half a million PB's out there and the biggest issue is they're app-starved, I'd have thought anyone selling PB apps would be making a fortune even selling junk.

I'm considering writing a few for PB but if it's that bad I won't bother. Is anyone making a real return on this thing? as in 200+ copies a day per app, not 2?
    Well my app is getting great reviews so it is probably not "junk". But I'm not getting rich.

A few devs are doing quite well but 200+ sales per day is probably a bit over-optimistic for a niche app. The big names like EA are doing a brisk business it seems and can get top dollar for their offerings. But even they are not likely making as much as they would on other platforms.

I've had some "good" months and some dismal ones - this month has been one of the latter. I hope to do better by adding some additional app to my collection and finally being able to use the magnetometer in my astronomy app will help a lot.

But generally speaking you are not going to get rich writing apps for only the PlayBook. If you're thinking long-term - i.e. getting ready for an OS2 spike or the BBX phones larger volumes may be realistic - or maybe not- depending on whether you have a killer app in your stable. And you will have to be very, very patient until RIM finally starts selling a reasonable number of PlayBooks and BBX devices.
    11-28-11 11:22 PM
    I can say there are definitely new owners downloading apps.

I have a free app that has been cruising at about 15-20 downloads per day for the past few months, but for the past week it's been steady at 80-60 downloads per day.

-------
    Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk
    11-29-11 01:48 AM
    it's that bad?!

It's been mostly that bad, yes. I'd venture to say that nobody independent is selling anywhere near 200 copies per day... maybe 30-40 for the top few aside from the big names like EA. I'd be surprised if even they have managed 200 per day except when they first launch and are still listed in Newest and/or their promotion is fresh.

As for me, I think Battery Guru's pretty decent, for the price and all, but I haven't broken 1000 sales yet and it's been out for 4.5 months. You do the math.

As Buzz said, you don't do this for the money, yet. It's definitely either a labour of love, or an investment for the future.
    11-29-11 09:42 AM
    Well my app is getting great reviews so it is probably not "junk". But I'm not getting rich.

A few devs are doing quite well but 200+ sales per day is probably a bit over-optimistic for a niche app. The big names like EA are doing a brisk business it seems and can get top dollar for their offerings. But even they are not likely making as much as they would on other platforms.

I've had some "good" months and some dismal ones - this month has been one of the latter. I hope to do better by adding some additional app to my collection and finally being able to use the magnetometer in my astronomy app will help a lot.

But generally speaking you are not going to get rich writing apps for only the PlayBook. If you're thinking long-term - i.e. getting ready for an OS2 spike or the BBX phones larger volumes may be realistic - or maybe not- depending on whether you have a killer app in your stable. And you will have to be very, very patient until RIM finally starts selling a reasonable number of PlayBooks and BBX devices.
    I gotta say, thank you for pricing your app at normal, reasonable level. I'll be buying it when I get home from work.

I have no problem paying money for an app. But apps on BB have always been high priced imo. And Im sure this has been beaten like a dead horse. But I really think higher prices are what keep some sales down. Im much more likely to purchase a $.99 app just to try then a $4.99 app/game.

I just think, they prices the apps a bit better, they'd see more impulse/trial sales.

my $.02
    11-29-11 01:10 PM
    Yes the .99 price tag is more attractive. only time I would pay $4.99+ for an app is if I get to try it hands on or a few friends recommend it. I only purchased two 4.99 app and tons of 99 cent apps.
    11-29-11 01:23 PM
    I gotta say, thank you for pricing your app at normal, reasonable level. I'll be buying it when I get home from work.

I have no problem paying money for an app. But apps on BB have always been high priced imo. And Im sure this has been beaten like a dead horse. But I really think higher prices are what keep some sales down. Im much more likely to purchase a $.99 app just to try then a $4.99 app/game.

I just think, they prices the apps a bit better, they'd see more impulse/trial sales.

my $.02
    First, I want to thank you for thinking of buying my app. But at risk of offending you, I would truly like to hear from other crackberry addicts if it is reasonable that all apps, no matter how complex, should sell for a "reasonable" price of $0.99. To me, this type of reasoning is a huge disincentive for independent developers like myself to write quality apps for the PlayBook.

At these low prices, there are two ways to make money. I could write a great app and hope that a low price will deliver high enough sales volumes to make the effort worth while. Or I could churn out high volumes of low value apps and maybe use devious techniques to trick consumers into buying them.

Some of us are in the former category and can hold our heads high. But unfortunately, the high rates of sales that we need to break even are very slow to materialize. We participate in forums like this to share our stories and get some moral support. I can tell you that its really nice to be part of this thriving community and I would have given up long ago if it weren't for your support.

But the other authors pump out repetitive eBooks and crappy "offline" maps and you never see them around here. They also do not respond to your requests for support - to them this would be an unnecessary drain on their profitability. I am willing to bet that these folks aren't making a lot of money either. But they are certainly poisoning the environment for developers and consumers alike.

Now, I am in no way blaming consumers for my problems, but it would be just great if more of them had a keen eye for value and were willing to pay a reasonable price for my offerings. And just as importantly, I think it would be great if consumers would stop rewarding the ne'er-do-wells that seem to plague BB App World.

So there you have my $0.02
    Rob Robertson likes this.
    11-29-11 02:06 PM
    BuzzStarField - I will gladly pay $4.99 for a good app, BUT to be shown it is a good app there needs to be a Free Trail version, I find the problem with some of the great apps is they are priced exactly what they are worth in the $3-5 range, but I'm not dropping $3-5 to get hosed on a bad app, been there done that far too many times.

as it is some $.99 apps I wont even buy just because I don't see the value right away.
    11-29-11 02:20 PM
    and useless Themes too.
    que themes? playbook?
    11-29-11 02:26 PM
    First, I want to thank you for thinking of buying my app. But at risk of offending you, I would truly like to hear from other crackberry addicts if it is reasonable that all apps, no matter how complex, should sell for a "reasonable" price of $0.99. To me, this type of reasoning is a huge disincentive for independent developers like myself to write quality apps for the PlayBook.

At these low prices, there are two ways to make money. I could write a great app and hope that a low price will deliver high enough sales volumes to make the effort worth while. Or I could churn out high volumes of low value apps and maybe use devious techniques to trick consumers into buying them.

Some of us are in the former category and can hold our heads high. But unfortunately, the high rates of sales that we need to break even are very slow to materialize. We participate in forums like this to share our stories and get some moral support. I can tell you that its really nice to be part of this thriving community and I would have given up long ago if it weren't for your support.

But the other authors pump out repetitive eBooks and crappy "offline" maps and you never see them around here. They also do not respond to your requests for support - to them this would be an unnecessary drain on their profitability. I am willing to bet that these folks aren't making a lot of money either. But they are certainly poisoning the environment for developers and consumers alike.

Now, I am in no way blaming consumers for my problems, but it would be just great if more of them had a keen eye for value and were willing to pay a reasonable price for my offerings. And just as importantly, I think it would be great if consumers would stop rewarding the ne'er-do-wells that seem to plague BB App World.

So there you have my $0.02
    Yeah, like i siad, I have no issues paying for apps. I have no issues paying more money for a good app that gets developer support. I guess part of the frustration is coming from other platforms, where I can buy a game for $1.99 or $2.99, and that price is double or triple on BB. Why? Im not a developer. Maybe thats why I dont understand?

I know on Android, they have ad & ad free apps. Either way they can make something off the app. Im not sure that option is there for BB devs?

And yes, I think its bogus to have a $.99 app that links you to a mobile site or to a map or something like that. But those are on Android & iOS as well.
    11-29-11 02:40 PM
    BuzzStarField - I will gladly pay $4.99 for a good app, BUT to be shown it is a good app there needs to be a Free Trail version, I find the problem with some of the great apps is they are priced exactly what they are worth in the $3-5 range, but I'm not dropping $3-5 to get hosed on a bad app, been there done that far too many times.

as it is some $.99 apps I wont even buy just because I don't see the value right away.
    You are wise to expect a trial version or at least wait until a new app has a history of good reviews both inside and outside of App World. But I think you may be in the minority.

My last post was getting long-winded so I didn't go into some of the other devious techniques that "smart" devs use to lure their prey. Offering a low quality but overpriced app also can be attractive to an unwary consumer - this type of person believes that you get what you pay for but forgets to do their due diligence. It does not help in the least these devs think it's fine to manipulate reviews. If you see only three reviews for an app, you should be very concerned. Now you might say that it would be easy for RIM to simply disallow this practice. But even reputable devs get lots of reviews that are totally inappropriate and need to be removed.

BTW, I offer a free demo and it has absolutely no effect on sales volumes. A couple of months back, I removed it from App World for three weeks and there was no change on the trend line.

A quick question: For me, visibility in App world seems to be a big problem. Do you actually scan the categories from time-to-time or do you mainly get your cues from the "featured" page in App World?
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 11-29-11 at 02:51 PM.
    11-29-11 02:43 PM
    I dive right in. IMO its the only way to find apps. I dont do it as often, but if I have a specific app in mind Im looking for, I head for that category and hope I can find something.
    11-29-11 02:47 PM
    I dive right in. IMO its the only way to find apps. I dont do it as often, but if I have a specific app in mind Im looking for, I head for that category and hope I can find something.
    When I am in consumer mode, I often visit categories for no particular reason just to see what's there. Positions are determined by the number of reviews (and to a certain extent the number of stars.) So I like to see if there is any correlation between the top selling apps (on the featured page) and their relative ranking in the category. It's a very telling experience, I can tell you. Those apps we all like to hate are certainly not at the top of the list.
    11-29-11 02:55 PM
    yup, its always good to browse around. For example, I just found the Crackberry app last evening. Not sure how I never saw it before.

Im gonna look extra hard tonight to find gtalk & gmail lol
    11-29-11 02:57 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD