Maybe the holdup this whole time was the lack of support for in-app payments?
    06-07-11 02:03 AM
    The way Amazon has worked in the past was to bypass the in-app payment system and simply provide a button that redirects through a device's browser. This was done to avoid any revenue sharing with the device manufacturer (Apple, RIM, Google).

Given the browser quality of the Playbook, though I hate to say it, I doubt this changes the likelyhood of a Kindle app hitting sooner. If anything, from what some developers have posted, this update will beak any apps written using the earlier versions of the SDK. this appears to be true, as people are reporting that Reader's Digest is not working following the update.

What this means is there is the potential to increase the delay if Amazon was using the older SDK. Hopefully not, just a thought though.
    06-07-11 02:31 AM
    What this means is there is the potential to increase the delay if Amazon was using the older SDK. Hopefully not, just a thought though.
    So, playing along the lines of the issues with older vs newer SDK, if they KNEW (assuming RIM was giving them a 'heads-up') that this update was coming out and would 'break' apps written with the OLD SDK, what are the chances that Amazon has been holding out for RIM to do their thing with THIS update? Hence the "coming soon" messages we've been hearing from Amazon for several weeks now, as we all know RIM delayed this update several times...

Not being a programmer, myself...I'm assuming that apps created in the NEW SDK would not have functioned well, or at all, without this NEW update RIM just released...???
    06-07-11 09:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD