Hi all,

First time poster here so please be gentle!

I have just purchased my first Playbook from eBay - 16GB early model I think - and have updated the OS to the latest release so all is as current as possible.

The reason I bought one is simply to have a small device (but with a bigger screen than a phone) that I could have to do basic browsing and occasionally use the Wifi Analyzer Android app - I am a BlackBerry handset fan, having been using them since about 2001 so wanted to stay brand-loyal.

Before committing to the device, I checked in AppWorld and confirmed that the application is indeed available for the PlayBook and there it was - https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...countrycode=GB - and says to "Visit this item in BlackBerry World on your PlayBook to download.". So I did!

Alas, it won't download - when I go to the page on the device I am told that "This item is not supported by your current device profile".

Not being one to be beaten, I did some reading and found that I can pull down the APK file and convert it to a BAR and then off we go. So, with the help of DDPB that has now been done and the app has been sent across. And it opened. How happy was I. BUT...

It doesn't work - it seems to only detect one network which I know is not right as the Device is seeing at least 5 when I am sitting at home (I have 2 in the house and only the one it is connected to appears to be being seen). It sees "BlackBerry WiFi Network (00:1f:ca:fe:ca:fe)" and I assume the latter is my MAC address. All settings it sees on the Network (IP, Gateway, etc.) are correct. But the main page sees nothing and the strength graph just goes to maximum green which isn't right.

Now, I know this sounds a bit application-support specific, but I thought it could be something in the conversion so found an alternative tool to see if that could help me in my Wifi quest (InSSIDer). Interestingly, when I try to use this (converted again from an APK file) I get similar symptoms - there's no Wifi networks detected beyond the device itself. It is as if the Android "emulator" is not seeing the real wifi adaptor but some pseudo-virtual one that is the actual adaptor inside the device.

Does this make sense to anyone and has anyone come across anything similar when trying to use Android Wifi tools on the PlayBook? I am wondering if it could be OS related or similar but am not sure - any pointers greatly appreciated. I have also found an archive of older versions and tried from 2014 but still no luck.

Other than this, I am mightily impressed with the Playbook - definitely going to do what I need it for; if I could just get the danged Wifi scanning working properly...

Thanks in advance.

Regards

TMW

P.S. To confirm, OS is 2.1.0.1917, Build ID 683354.
    Last edited by tmwsccsh; 11-06-16 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Typo
    11-06-16 11:38 AM
    Might have to go back even further for a compatable APK... think the PlayBook works with Android 2.3 or 2.4 and lower. But Android compatibility was pretty low even back then.

Staying loyal to the brand.... hope that works out ok for you.
    11-07-16 03:16 PM
    The Android Runtime can only "see" the WiFi network that the OS is connected to. It's just a limitation of the BlackBerry OS / VM setup.
    11-07-16 03:28 PM
    Hi,

Thanks both for the response.

Odd that the app exists in AppWorld then if it couldn't work as intended (but the screenshots show it should).

Ho hum - back to the Wifi drawing board.

Coming at it from another angle, does anyone know of a good App for Wifi scanning for the PB? The great feature of the Wifi Analyzer is that it is real-time tracking of signals so as you approach an AP the signal strength indicator increases immediately - makes it easy to find APs in buildings that you can't track them down in.

Thanks in advance.

TMW
    11-08-16 08:41 AM