1. halliguy's Avatar
    Hi all,
    My daughter will be going to college in France next year.We have a family smart choice plan. We both have BB's with unlimited data, etc with Alltel..She has the 8830. What do we need to do so she can use her phone there ?
    Any info would be appreciated.
    08-11-08 05:58 PM
  2. asp13's Avatar
    If she has the 8830 you need the SIM card to make it work. You can order it through Alltel it sells for $14.99. But using it for an extended period of time can be fairly expensive.
    08-11-08 06:14 PM
  3. kch50428's Avatar
    It depends more on what version of the 8830 she has - if its a newer IR version (international roaming) - you can get the SIM from Alltel...otherwise, with an older 8830 - you can check out Alltel - TravelComm for available options.
    08-11-08 07:58 PM
  4. halliguy's Avatar
    Will check out the sim card...I guess we'll have to do some more surfing too..
    Thanks for the responses,
    08-13-08 05:11 PM
  5. MaxGunner's Avatar
    Does the phone have to be unlocked, first? Or are Alltel phones already unlocked? How can I tell if mine is or not?


    08-18-08 10:14 AM
  6. kch50428's Avatar
    Once you acquire the GSM-sim card for whichever version of the 8830 you have, you put it in the phone, and follow the directions that come with the card for activating
    08-18-08 06:46 PM
  7. MaxGunner's Avatar
    But that's only if the phone is unlocked, right? Otherwise, the only card you can use is one from Alltel?

    08-18-08 08:25 PM