I currently have Simple Mobile which has been great (using Tmobile towers) but am interested in an ATT MVNO since they have better coverage nation-wide. Which pre-paid carrier using ATT's network gives you the most data for your buck?

P.S. Cricket I'm not too interested in seeing as they cap the download speeds to 8mb/s
    05-03-15 07:38 PM
    It might be Cricket. $40 (35 with auto-pay) gets you 2.5GB, while $50 (45 with auto-pay) gets you 5GB. AFAIK, the best in between these two is Straight Talk 3GB+unlimited slow data for $45/month.

Cricket throttles speeds. Max for 3G/HSPA+ is 4mbps and max for LTE is 8mbps. IDK about Straight Talk.
    05-03-15 08:25 PM
    As far as I am aware, all of the MVNO's only offer plans that are downgraded / feature reduced / speed throttled as compared to their NO's. It makes sense to me that MVNO's would have to give up something to account for their lower prices as compared to the NO.
    05-10-15 03:23 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I eventually went with Cricket. I can deal with capped speeds for such a great price. I love having the ATT coverage for $55/mo
    05-12-15 10:13 PM
    Cricket is a really great deal. I had the 5 lines for $100 plan and had two phones for myself, my business partner's phone, another office phone, and even an AT&T hotspot device going. Worked great when it works. I did just leave to try Consumer Cellular for one reason, though. Roaming.

There are some places where AT&T does not have towers but AT&T postpaid customers never realize it because they roam there automatically. I first found this out on a trip to the Grand Canyon when a friend was texting me and I did not get the messages until that evening when we left the park. It happened again on a mountaintop observatory when we were bringing her kids to go look through the telescopes at night. She was inside waiting for me, and I was outside waiting for her for an hour because I thought I beat her there and never got her texts that she was early. She was on AT&T and connected, I was on Cricket and zero signal except emergency calls.

I can't say whether some of the other times when I've had zero signal would have been alleviated were I on AT&T postpaid. I am very curious when I go to a friend's house outside of city limits where AT&T has no towers but T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint all do if I will have coverage now. Consumer Cellular, though, will work on the entire AT&T map including roaming areas. No "unlimited" data, and if you exceed your bucket you will start paying. Not quite as generous on the terms as Cricket - but still pretty darn reasonable compared to AT&T postpaid and as far as I can tell, no difference in coverage at all.

For most people Cricket will be the best choice. If I could pay $10/mo to add domestic roaming to Cricket and stay with them, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    raino likes this.
    10-05-15 11:47 AM
    I am very curious when I go to a friend's house outside of city limits where AT&T has no towers but T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint all do if I will have coverage now.
    New info: I have been using the Consumer Cellular plan for a few months now. A few observations:

• Roaming works on AT&T's roaming partners without issue
    • Mobile hotspot works, but I did have to call Consumer Cellular to have them program their system. No additional cost - just data used.
    • Consumer Cellular has deals with both AT&T and T-Mobile. I have three phones on the same plan sharing data - two with AT&T SIM cards and one with a T-Mobile SIM card. Makes no difference for sharing data - but the phones do have different coverage. The AT&T SIM works with AT&T's roaming partners. T-Mobile's SIM appears NOT to work in T-Mobile roaming areas - only T-Mobile native areas.
    • When the T-Mobile SIM is in my Priv, it will try to use WiFi calling and fail with messages in the notification tray pretty much constantly. You have to go into the control panel and completely disable wifi calling so it doesn't try.
    • I do wish I could buy more than 4gb of shared data, but once you are on the 4gb plan the per megabyte data charges are pretty reasonable.
    • Speeds do not appear to be capped on Consumer Cellular like they are with Cricket.
    01-18-16 04:24 PM
    Hands down the best is harbor Mobile 2.0

$30 bucks month to month unlimited talk and text and 2GB of LTE data.

Not unlimited data. No throttling. etc. just no data after 2 GB i think.
    01-18-16 06:12 PM
    Agree with Deremi. I looked at all of them. I am now a Harbor 2.0 customer. 50 dollars for 10 GB.
    And you are Tier 1 on AT&T towers.

Attachment 388188

Attachment 388189

"I don't think that word means what you think it means."
    01-18-16 07:05 PM
    New info: I have been using the Consumer Cellular plan for a few months now. A few observations:

• Roaming works on AT&T's roaming partners without issue
    • The AT&T SIM works with AT&T's roaming partners. T-Mobile's SIM appears NOT to work in T-Mobile roaming areas - only T-Mobile native areas.
    It is pretty much established that CC gets the same coverage as AT&T postpaid, which is why 1) you're seeing the good roaming coverage, 2) Don't have capped speed--although I don't think any AT&T MVNO caps speeds initially 3) are probably paying taxes on your monthly bill

But TMO, IIRC is a new partnership for CC. Do you think it's postpaid as well? Do you pay taxes on this line?

Generally speaking, poor roaming is a hallmark of prepaid service, but it sounds odd that CC would partner up with TMO (the cheaper of the two MNOs) in a prepaid agreement, especially given CC's business model and rationale behind it.
    01-18-16 09:22 PM
    CC is postpaid - so yes, I am paying taxes. I was getting a great deal with various prepaid carriers and no taxes - but I travel a lot for work to some pretty remote locations. At home, anything would work. Even Sprint! But I need better coverage when I travel.

There is absolutely no difference for billing the T-Mobile line VS the AT&T line. You can't tell them apart in the customer portal, and you would have to read the numbers off the SIM cards to visually identify which is which. To the customer, they are really just pitching it as "If you live an an area with no AT&T service but you do get T-Mobile service, or if you have a phone which is carrier locked to T-Mobile, let us send you this other SIM instead." I did one of each so I could have a spare phone that might sometimes get a signal out in the stix when the first does not. In my case, it is worth $10/mo for me to have that.

As for the caps, I'm pretty sure that Cricket (if that fits the odd definition of wholly owned MVNO) does cap speeds initially, and also doesn't enable the mobile hotspot feature.

For most people I'd recommend Cricket over CC. I really did well with them, and with the fifth line free I just popped a SIM into an AT&T hotspot (which did work for some reason). But I am pointing out the comparative differences so readers can come to their individual conclusions based on their needs.
    01-21-16 05:50 PM
    Email received today (talk about short warning):

Dear Harbor Customer:
    Due to circumstances beyond our control, Harbor will no longer be able to provide AT&T mobile services to the public. At AT&T's direction, we have been instructed to inform you that you have until Sunday, May 8th, 11:59PM to sign on with another mobile provider. You may call 888-444-4410 dial 2 and then 5 to do a change of financial responsibility with AT&T.

We apologize for this inconvenience and thank you for your support.
    Sincerely,
    Harbor Mobile
    05-06-16 05:10 PM
    Ooh, that's cold...just two days to port out (including a weekend.)

Well, not totally unexpected, given that these guys were reselling business service to...non-business customers. TMO also busted them for it, but at least kept the subs.
    05-06-16 05:35 PM
    I've had relatives from overseas use ATT MVNO H20 Wireless reliably the last couple times they have visited with no issues. With automatic billing and no hard data cap...just throttling...they've been able to travel around the US with solid coverage. Prices seem reasonable.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-16 06:00 AM