11-11-09 10:30 PM
29 12
tools
    I just got an 8330m yesterday. I've tried a number of different GPS apps (BB maps, Google maps, Nav4all, amAze..) and I can't get any of them to find my device using internal GPS. Google has a feature that uses cell towers to triangulate my location. While probably good enough for my uses, it's not as accurate as I'd like. All I can find on the phone GPSwise are the options "Location On" and "Location Off". I presume it needs to be on. Anyone have the same problem?
    03-14-09 05:49 AM
    Try it outdoors or in your car. The GPS doesn't work very well indoors. Give it some time. Sometimes it takes awhile to get a lock.
    03-14-09 11:14 AM
    I am having the same problem with the 8330m US Cellular phone I just got. GPS is turned on, but it just sits there trying to find satellites.
    04-07-09 10:26 PM
    One of the things that has been reported is that the first time it tries to find satellites, it takes a while. It might take several minutes to lock onto satellites the first time. Subsequent connections should be much faster.

I would suggest firing up BBMaps, giving it five minutes or so to connect (with aclear view of the sky) and see if it finally connects.
    04-07-09 10:54 PM
    I had the same problem when I fired up the GPS for the first time. It finally worked when I was driving home one afternoon. If you give it a few minutes and it doesn't capture try hopping in your car and see if that helps.
    04-08-09 03:24 PM
    There are a few free programs you can load and try. GPSed and Blackstar (you can find reference on google or in the GPS forum) are both small, quick GPS programs that fire up and lock quicker than most others. Once you have that out of the way then you can open any other program you want to run. So far the Garmin has been the quickest, most reliable and accurate one I've found. They have a 7 day free trial too.
    04-08-09 03:51 PM
    Over on HoFo, there has been quite a discussion about the non-functioning GPS on the 8330 and 8330m. The fix they found was actually here on CB. I can't post links yet, so do a search in the forums for the user name "TheHeartlessHero" or "A Real Fix For Broken GPS - Guide v1.0"

Hope this helps and good luck!
    04-18-09 12:49 AM
    My exact problem. And I've let BBmaps sit and try to get a lock outside on a clear sunny day with no tall buildings.. Pretty much perfect GPS area and day. I let it sit and try to get a lock for over an hour with absolutely 0 results. I've been in to talk to reps and they all tell me to open Google Maps and the posistion it gives me is all the GPS is supposed to do.. Which is BS.

Also, I've already tried the GPS fix and it wouldn't work because you have to downgrade the OS to get the MSL/SPC code and since I have a 8330m I can't downgrade OS (to my knowledge). :/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-07-09 01:59 AM
    Also, I've already tried the GPS fix and it wouldn't work because you have to downgrade the OS to get the MSL/SPC code and since I have a 8330m I can't downgrade OS (to my knowledge). :/
    You don't have to do all that to get your SPC. Just call CS and ask them for your "unlock" code. I've heard some horror stories about how people have had a hard time getting their SPC. I've also heard about people being told they can't have theirs because it's "against policy." I would like to know what policy they are referring to, 'cause I work in tech support and I give out SPC's on a daily basis when verifying programming/activating new phones. I guess I'd better quit that, shouldn't I?
    05-17-09 08:36 AM
    Do you have permissions set to Allow?

05-17-09 02:00 PM
    I have the same issue, and I've also returned a bb b ecause it was within30 days, still same issue.

I think it an .138 issue on usc??? Thoughts?

06-01-09 10:45 PM
    I have the same issue, and I've also returned a bb b ecause it was within30 days, still same issue.

I think it an .138 issue on usc??? Thoughts?
    It's not necessarily a problem with the .138 software. If you'll see my earlier post, there is a forum thread already started about this issue. Now that I can post a link...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/rea...v1-0-a-192999/

As you will see, this problem is not specific to USCC and I can personally attest to the fact that the fix works. My BB would never get a GPS lock when I first got it but after I went thru the steps stated in the thread, I was able to get a lock on 9 satellites in about 20 seconds.
    06-02-09 06:09 AM
    I looked at this but it was not straight forward, do u know what apps I need to make these changes?

This is my last resort nobody can help, not usc and not even RIM, which is where usc transfered me to after giving up!

06-02-09 11:30 PM
    I looked at this but it was not straight forward, do u know what apps I need to make these changes?
    You will need QPST (the version you need is in the thread I posted the link for in my last post) and your SPC or "lock code". There has been some discussion about how to obtain your lock code, but you should be able to call customer service and ask for it. Then just follow the instructions step-by-step in the guide. I had to go thru it twice, but I was able to correct the problem with BB Maps.
    06-03-09 06:49 AM
    I was an 8830 WE user. Since I was having trouble with it, and my contract was up, we changed to Curve 8330. The 8830's GPS worked flawlessly. The Curve never worked. After a 2 hour phone call with USCC, and then on to RIM 2nd level support, RIM suggested we go back to USCC to get a new Curve because that must be the problem. So we did that, and had the same trouble. There was another guy going to the same USCC agent with the same problem on another Curve, and they had a guy in there office (The Beeper People) that has a Pearl with the same issue. It's like the GPS never worked at all.
    06-07-09 07:10 PM
    I've called customer service and sat on hold for half an hour just to have them refuse to give me my unlock code because it's "against policy". I've emailed about 4 customer service reps and they've all also denied me access to my unlock code.

However, I've had my GPS working 2 times.. Both were really random.. I've had better/same conditions as far as I could tell and no lock. And when I try BB maps it comes up pretty quick with a message saying it couldn't find a lock.. So it won't sit and search for 10 minutes or anything.. The 2 times it worked it did so in about 2 minutes. The times it doesn't work and doesn't come up with a message saying no lock, it will sit and search for hours.. I've tried it at the start of a car ride, and had it trying to get a lock until I got home later in the day.

06-10-09 09:08 AM
    There are a few USC employees on this forum. If you contacted them directly they might be able to get you the info you need.
    06-10-09 05:07 PM
    There are a few free programs you can load and try. GPSed and Blackstar (you can find reference on google or in the GPS forum) are both small, quick GPS programs that fire up and lock quicker than most others. Once you have that out of the way then you can open any other program you want to run. So far the Garmin has been the quickest, most reliable and accurate one I've found. They have a 7 day free trial too.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

GPSed has been installed and running for hours on my 8830m sitting on an uncovered porch that I can get GPS fix using MS Streets and Maps on my work HP laptop. Still unable to find sats........

Cannot access the Garmin Mobile app website, keeps giving error 505 time out. Anyone have this as a downloadable file I can install using Desk Sync?
    07-26-09 02:33 PM
    Did you delete the "www"? The address is Garmin Mobile. Just went there, works fine. If not, suggest a battery pull and then enter the address again. Or, clear out your history, cache, and cookies, then try.

EDIT: For some reason, the link I posted above was converted to "Garmin Mobile" instead of the actual link. Apparently I don't know how to post a link. Anyway, go to post # 14 in the "An easy solution for GPS fix on 8330!" thread and get the address there- just don't use a www.
    Last edited by jrr2020; 07-26-09 at 03:21 PM. Reason: link problem
    07-26-09 03:15 PM
    __________________________________________________ _______________

GPSed has been installed and running for hours on my 8830m sitting on an uncovered porch that I can get GPS fix using MS Streets and Maps on my work HP laptop. Still unable to find sats........

Cannot access the Garmin Mobile app website, keeps giving error 505 time out. Anyone have this as a downloadable file I can install using Desk Sync?
    Just noticed on your profile you have an 8830. This thread is for 8330m's. For all I know you have a completely different problem. But try the Garmin thing anyway, you have nothing to lose.
    07-26-09 03:44 PM
    As you will see, this problem is not specific to USCC and I can personally attest to the fact that the fix works. My BB would never get a GPS lock when I first got it but after I went thru the steps stated in the thread, I was able to get a lock on 9 satellites in about 20 seconds.

Frontal_Lobe, did you use the following settings or something else?
    I am still unable to get mine to work.

US Cellular (Same as Alltel)
    PDE IP Address = 205.142.19.100
    PDE Port Number = 8888
    PDE Transport = IP
    Position Calculation = Mobile
    08-07-09 02:58 AM

PDE Port Number = 8888
    PDE Transport = IP
    I know who you are! And yes, those are the exact settings I used. Worked like a champ for me. Don't see you any more at work. Stop by and visit sometime. Have a great day!
    08-07-09 08:00 AM

PDE Port Number = 8888
    PDE Transport = IP
    See my posting called "An easy solution for GPS fix on 8330!" in this forum. Basically, just install the Garmin Application and that will fix the GPS.
    08-07-09 03:54 PM
    I have tried the hacks to get my GPS functioning properly on an Alltel 8330m with OS 4.5.0.169.

I have run the QPST tool and set the GPS, IP and Port. This all survives a battery pull or reboot with QuickPull.

The problem is, even with going into the phone with the QPST tool, I have to go the the site to enter the engineering screen. From there, I select Radio Engineering Screens and then GPS. I then press the application button and select Start GPS. This setting always goes back to OFF after any reboot, etc.

Does anyone know how to lock the GPS in the ON positon using the QPST tool so this will survive a a reset and not require me to access a 3rd party web site to get a special code to unlock the engineering screen?
    08-26-09 02:36 PM
    I have tried the hacks to get my GPS functioning properly on an Alltel 8330m with OS 4.5.0.169.

I have run the QPST tool and set the GPS, IP and Port. This all survives a battery pull or reboot with QuickPull.

The problem is, even with going into the phone with the QPST tool, I have to go the the site to enter the engineering screen. From there, I select Radio Engineering Screens and then GPS. I then press the application button and select Start GPS. This setting always goes back to OFF after any reboot, etc.

Does anyone know how to lock the GPS in the ON positon using the QPST tool so this will survive a a reset and not require me to access a 3rd party web site to get a special code to unlock the engineering screen?
    Hello there,

What exactly do you mean when you say "go the the site to enter the engineering screen"?

What site?

What engineering screen? How do you get to this screen step by step?

Thanks.
    09-01-09 11:08 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD