I saw this on BGR:
    N95 8GB NAM Gets FCC Approval | The Boy Genius Report

I was just wondering, what does "NAM" mean? I'm thinking North American, but I feel it could be something else.
    01-30-08 01:02 PM
    The NAM is the electronic memory in the cellular phone that stores the telephone number and an electronic serial number. Phones with dual- or multi-NAM features offer users the option of registering the phone with a local number in more than one market.
    01-30-08 01:04 PM
    The NAM is the electronic memory in the cellular phone that stores the telephone number and an electronic serial number. Phones with dual- or multi-NAM features offer users the option of registering the phone with a local number in more than one market.
    Oh wait, I remember this now.

This brings me to another question. I have always wondered with these ultra-highend Nokias how you get them activated since carriers don't offer them in-store on on their sites.

Would I just buy this phone (for $700 btw) and walk into my nearest GSM store and have them activate it? If I do that will it have all the functions that come with the phone assuming I just get a normal data/voice plan?
    01-30-08 01:44 PM
    Nah, that's wrong. NAM stands for North American Market.

NAM may also be the term/name of the electronic memory as you mention, but the NAM at the end of a mobile phone model means what i've mentioned above.
    I've never heard of NAM memory, i've heard of NAND memory. What you're describing sounds like NAND memory to me. You sure you haven't got the 2 confused?

[i know this is a really old thread, but people can come across it from a google search and get the wrong info, so i just thought i'd post something]
    03-16-09 01:21 PM
    I thought it was north american model? Which means it will have warranty and at&t 3g band.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-09 01:47 PM
    NAM for cell phones is generally for North American Model. This means 3G support for AT&T, Rogers and Fido.
    03-16-09 08:51 PM
    I remember my old audiovox phones had a choice between nam1 or nam2
    Never knew what it meant or did

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-09 01:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD