I currently own a BB bold, and I'm ready for something different. I am with ATT, and here's my possible choices.

-bb 8900
    -htc g1
    -nokia e71x
    -htc tilt

And, I'm not sure which one of these phones would be the best. I need one that I can get a data plan on.

I pretty much:
    :text
    :camera
    :facebook
    :check weather

apps aren't a big deal, as long as it supports that. I'm also open to new ideas.

I don't want a touch-only phone, such as the iPhone or Storm.

Thank you,
    Jordan
    05-18-09 01:17 PM
    tilt is a major downgrade, so is the g1 and the g1 would have to be unlocked since it's of course on tmobile

dunno about the nokia, so the best bet is the 8900, but if you get the 8900 that's also a downgrade!

go into a store (att and t-mo for the g1) and play with all of the options availabe to you
    05-18-09 01:25 PM
    Get a bold again. If not get a 8900.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 01:28 PM
    I like my bold and all, but it's too bulky. Also, I have no 3g coverage in my area, and the 8900 has a better camera. I was liking the touchflo type screen on the g1, and the tilt wasn't really a contender.

I'd like bb to come out with a storm with a keyboard
    05-18-09 01:29 PM
    you're best bet is to just stick with the bold since it's way better than all of those, unless you upgrade to the HTC Touch Pro which would be considered a new idea. However T-Mobile is receiving the Touch Pro 2 in July, so you may just want to wait and try to switch to t-mo.

I had AT&T for 5 years and will never look back.

With T-mo, you only have to wait about 10 secs to talk to a representative that isn't based in India. Plus you can get the TP2 when it comes out if you sign up then.

g1 touch flo? go check out the Touch Pro at AT&T (has a keyboard unlike the htc diamond), then you'll know what touch flo is all about. and you can check your weather with the tap or slide of a finger. and you can check it for a lot of different cities as well.

g1 is a toy like the iphone and it's freakin ugly too, g2 is coming out this year too, and it's even uglier

the 8900 is bulkier than the bold

if not the touch pro, then try the pearl, I love my pearl. I have the Touch Pro, but it's broken and at HTC HQ.
    Last edited by andrewopolis; 05-18-09 at 01:37 PM.
    05-18-09 01:33 PM
    But I've heard about the HTC touch and FUZE having hardware problems? A friend of mine had three FUZE models before he traded in for a blackberry. And, I was liking that diamond from SPRINT, but I'd need to get an HTC model that would be usable with my data plan and facebook, without the OS throwing me off (BB user for a while)
    05-18-09 01:36 PM
    Yes it has a defect. Read my thread

HTC Phones Overheating Defect - PPCGeeks

the fuze is the touch pro, AT&T renames all of their phones.
    05-18-09 01:42 PM
    Once ATT gets the 8900, I'm thinking about going to it, and as far as the touch pro goes, is it hard to get used to with it going like, the slideout keyboard? because i'm pretty used to my BB
    05-18-09 01:52 PM
    well you wanted the storm to have a keyboard, the only way it would have one would to have it slide out...

the 8900 is a downgrade and is bulkier, you said the bold was bulky, well the 8900 is bulkier

the htc touch pro keyboard is fantastic
    05-18-09 01:54 PM
    Like, slide out keyboards would seem awkward to use one-handedly (like, impossible).

And, I know the 8900 is a downgrade in the processor area, but I'm not using it for business purposes. I'm thinking the better camera and more curve-esque styling would make it easier. Isn't the bold bulkier than the 8900?
    05-18-09 01:59 PM
    no, the 8900 is bulkier.

slide out keyboard requires 2 hands but it does have T9 if you want to try with 1 hand. Don't bother driving and texting though, it's impossible.

It does have the onscreen keyboards as well and you can download custom keyboards for bigger or smaller letters.
    05-18-09 02:01 PM
    I do drive and text, and is the 8900 more ergonomic then? And would I be better off just sticking with my bold?
    05-18-09 02:17 PM
    yes bold is what you need to keep
    05-18-09 02:22 PM
    8900 only difference is that its older and possibly slower, dunno what the difference in features is, but it does have spaces between the letters on the keyboard unlike the bold
    05-18-09 02:25 PM
    Don't know why you think 8900 is 'bulkier' than Bold. I beg to differ!!!
    05-18-09 02:58 PM
    I'm wanting the 8900 mainly for the camera and the fact that it's something new, that and ATT gets it in may.

But at the same time, I can't help but to wonder what would happen if I were to get an iphone or a storm. I don't really like touch screens, but I'd be willing to change around.

Any other suggestions?
    05-18-09 03:25 PM
    you can't get the storm unless you have a CDMA network, which would be Verizon or Sprint or somebody else. You don't want it anyway because you have to click the screen to do everything, you can't just touch it, you HAVE to click it.

bold is newer than the 8900...

iphone is a toy!
    05-18-09 03:27 PM
    So, no way to get a storm for GSM?

And the iphone next gen looks like it might be cool if they ever release it.

basically, i'm tired of my bold and i've had it for a month haha, it's not what I thought it was gonna be, and i loved my 8310, so I was thinking curve II, or maybe something that had a touch screen with a keyboard, like a xenon?
    05-18-09 07:42 PM
    well if you switch from BB or windows you won't have an operating system anymore that has a bunch of apps and free apps available for it

the gsm Storm is known as the Thunder, don't think it's out yet and supposedly it's going to T-Mobile when it comes out

bold vs 8900:

MarketnewsGadgetTalk: BlackBerry Bold Vs. Curve 8900 I thought the bold was the phone on the left, apparently that's the 8900.. my manager at work just got a curve from alltel, maybe it was the older version because it looks as big as the bold in that picture

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/bold-vs-8900-a-112918/

"I am going to get the Bold over the 8900 because of the 3G. Where I live there is blanket 3G/HSDPA coverage. Since 3G was launched here when it first came out EDGE never became popular. GPRS works... just but 3G is much quicker.

It's also a "world phone" - if you go to Japan or South Korea GSM phones don't work at all and 3G is a must."

8900 does have a better camera though, just not a world phone so if you travel you may be in trouble.

ok, my bad! didn't know the 8900 was the new version, so just go to a store and play with it and make up your mind already lol
    Last edited by andrewopolis; 05-18-09 at 08:22 PM.
    05-18-09 08:19 PM
    well if you switch from BB or windows you won't have an operating system anymore that has a bunch of apps and free apps available for it

the gsm Storm is known as the Thunder, don't think it's out yet and supposedly it's going to T-Mobile when it comes out

bold vs 8900:

MarketnewsGadgetTalk: BlackBerry Bold Vs. Curve 8900 I thought the bold was the phone on the left, apparently that's the 8900.. my manager at work just got a curve from alltel, maybe it was the older version because it looks as big as the bold in that picture

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/bold-vs-8900-a-112918/

"I am going to get the Bold over the 8900 because of the 3G. Where I live there is blanket 3G/HSDPA coverage. Since 3G was launched here when it first came out EDGE never became popular. GPRS works... just but 3G is much quicker.

It's also a "world phone" - if you go to Japan or South Korea GSM phones don't work at all and 3G is a must."

8900 does have a better camera though, just not a world phone so if you travel you may be in trouble.

ok, my bad! didn't know the 8900 was the new version, so just go to a store and play with it and make up your mind already lol
    I don't think you know what you're talking about. The 9530 can be unlocked and used on AT&T.

I would stick with the Bold. The 8900 does not have 3G and it's 2009. Smartphones should have 3G. The only other device that compares reasonably well with the Bold is the iPhone 3G and you didn't want the iPhone 3G.
    Last edited by godzilla07; 05-18-09 at 08:52 PM.
    05-18-09 08:48 PM
    I know what I'm talking about, I made one mistake, I'm bound to make another. However, you didn't make much of an effort to realize that the OP doesn't care about 3G since they don't have 3G coverage in their area.
    05-18-09 08:53 PM
    But how is the OS on the 8900 vs the BOLD?
    Like I said in the beginning. I don't travel internationally, or outside of my local area, really.

And, no one ever said for certain if the storm was available to use on GSM networks (ATT), and if I got a storm and unlocked it, would I be able to use the internet and the app store through ATT? (I don't care about media net or whatever)

Or, are there any other phones out there that I can text one-handed with that has an OS similar to BB?

Price isn't really an object here, I'm just trying to find what's good.
    05-19-09 10:52 AM
    just go to the store and try that **** out already lol!
    05-19-09 11:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD