Nokia E71 video walkthrough : Boy Genius Report

I was watching this video on BGR. It looks like the E71 has some pretty powerful features. I think it also looks better than the Bold (don't get me wrong, the Bold is also a pretty good looking device)

If it comes out in the US, it might be tempting to defect from my Crackberry. What do you think?
    06-12-08 12:07 AM
    Don't think so... But it is a nice phone. I've always been a fan of Nokias.
    06-12-08 08:29 PM
    OMG....Better than the Bold Traitor! lol

I'm for whatever works for the individual.
    06-12-08 11:13 PM
    install blackberry connect and all will be forgiven
    06-13-08 12:14 PM
    I used to like Nokia phones for a long time. But I switched from Nokia E61 to BB Curve because I hated S60 OS despite it's a 3G phone (my carrier has 3G but not so much EDGE, I'm on GPRS almost all of the time). I don't think I would like this E71, even if it looks good...
    06-13-08 02:03 PM
    Here's a brief article about the nokia E71 and RIM.
    Nokia unveils new business phones - Yahoo! News

The E71 looks nice but BBs rule
    06-17-08 10:01 PM
    I may pick it up as a backup to my Bold. Nokia's build quality on E-series has always been top notch, and this things 10mm thin!
    06-22-08 10:06 AM
    My wife brought home an unlocked N95 8 gig Nokia from Kuwait a couple of months ago and it's an awesome video machine - even on T-Mobile. It even came with Spiderman preloaded. But she still looks at my Curve with envy when I'm online or texting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by exelant; 06-23-08 at 02:24 AM.
    06-23-08 02:21 AM
    I agree that Nokias rock. I think the Bold interface gives it the edge though.
    07-03-08 07:53 PM
    i think this phones looks amazing... even better than the bold. love the size and build quality... i was about to switch from nokia to BB but i might have to hold off for another year or two...
    07-03-08 07:59 PM
    i think this phones looks amazing... even better than the bold. love the size and build quality... i was about to switch from nokia to BB but i might have to hold off for another year or two...
    I totally agree, the E71 does look much better in design but it sure cant be a BlackBerry.

07-15-08 09:10 AM
    It's out in Chicago!
    Nokia's North American E71 now available at Chicago flagship store - Engadget

I personally like it on white, I'm gonna buy one when I get my check.
    07-21-08 04:38 PM
    I, for one, think the Bold is much prettier and appealing to the eye than the E71, besides the back of the phone, the E71 wins there. It looks like it does have a lot of nice features like flash player, Adobe Reader and WiFi. I guess we'll just have to see what the finalized full production Bold has to offer. But as of right now... GO BOLD!!
    07-21-08 04:46 PM
    I totally agree, the E71 does look much better in design but it sure cant be a BlackBerry.
    Ok, I honestly have no idea what you're (and the other who have said the same thing) talking about.

I think that Nokia is one of the ugliest smartphones i've seen this side of 1999. And the UI is worse than WM.

And while the Bold doesn't blow my mind, it does look pretty sleek. Plus the new Blackberry icons/UI is QUITE aesthetically pleasing.

To each his own I suppose.

And as far as which is better? The nokia MAY have a few features over the BB, but when factoring in email handling, browser (I love the current BB browser ,and it's supposed to be improved on the bold), user experience, and a host of other factors (3g?, Bold having one of the best smartphone screens TBGR has ever seen), I think the Bold wins hands down.
    07-21-08 11:35 PM
    Nokia makes some quality/well-built phones. However, I don't think comparing the Bold to the E71 is an even comparison...mainly based on the quality of the Bold's screen over that of the E71. And that alone; is more than enough of a reason to not be able to compare the two devices.

Also, Nokia's symbia-based OS is buggy/lags. The design of the E71 (with how it tapers down towards the bottom of the keyboard) would make the phone feel a bit less comfortable to hold; compared to the Bold's design where it's uniformly-shaped from the top to bottom.
    07-22-08 02:24 PM
    For all the blokia fans: Nokia E71 Makes Its US Debut at the Nokia Flagship Store and check out the price
    07-30-08 02:32 PM
    07-30-08 07:32 PM
    Using it since it came out, and love it, but will be buying the bold this week. They both complement each other! Awesome phones.
    08-24-08 07:27 AM
    I got the E71 at newegg for $389.99 (with free shipping and no tax ). Price just went up to $409.99 though. The great thing is that it worked out of the box with HSPDA without having to call AT&T. I needed to call AT&T to get the tethering to work though. Wound up with a data plan that cost $5 per month less.

It's a nice phone but if the Bold is like my old 8700c at all than I will need to have the Bold. The keyboard is better and things are just laid out better. It's all the little things that you don't think about until you leave the BB nest the will bug that crap out of you with this phone. Obviously a lot of it has to do with the fact that I just got the phone and haven't figured it out yet.

Because my trackwheel was stuck I couldn't save my contacts and stuff to my sim card so I used DM to save everything to Yahoo. When I tried to retrieve everything using PC Suite, Nokia would only retrieve contacts from Lotus Notes, Outlook and something else I can't remember, but not Yahoo. Not sure what to do about that now. There is probably some app I will need to hunt down. Oh, there is no trackwheel ot trackball. There is a scrolling square though but it's not a good replacement. There are just a lot of little quirks that will take time getting used to.

Push email - they have this great beta service to get my yahoo mail pushed. It gets sent in a text message but for some reason I haven't received the text message yet (I did test and texts work so why am I not receiving them from nokia?).

Nokia provides software for tethering. I would have preferred to use AT&T's software but that didn't recognize the device. The Nokia software works but doesn't give me a 3G indicator. And the phone doesn't seem to have a setting to keep the scren lit while powered, which brings up the biggest annoyance.

Plugging the E71 into a USB port doesn't seem to charge the phone. But it seems to have very good battery life.

Overall it's a nice phone and it's almost too small but I don't see it being better than the Bold. Maybe I'm just used to that big clunker 8700 but it seems the E71 is always trying to slip through my hands. I hope it keeps its good resale value.
    Last edited by unmasked; 08-25-08 at 03:50 PM.
    08-25-08 03:48 PM
    Nokia's always have good resale value.
    08-25-08 04:38 PM
    I finally got the push email beta app working but right now it's pushing everything, including the spam folder.
    08-26-08 03:35 PM
    I finally got the push email beta app working but right now it's pushing everything, including the spam folder.

I'm looking at purchasing an E71 and was wondering where you downloaded that app.
    09-02-08 06:07 PM
    You go to this site and sign up with the email address you want to access. You may need to use your email password as the password. I'm not sure you need to but I did and it works fine (Yahoo). I still have not worked out how to avoid the spam though.

http://email.nokia.com

When you give them your phone number add 1 (assuming you're from the US). The site sends you the link to download it via SMS and without the 1 you won't get it.
    09-02-08 09:05 PM
    Thanks. On a different topic, will JiveTalk work with the E71? If not is there anything just as good or better that will?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-08 02:42 PM
    I know little about IM apps but I checked and from what I could tell, it's only available for WM, BB and iPhone/Touch but not S60 so you may need a different IM app if you go for the E71, at least until a version is released for Symbian.
    09-03-08 02:59 PM
99 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD