Just got a new Nokia E71-2 .. Newest Firmware.. all I can say is wow!
    My Bold is not going to be used for a while if ever..
    Sync with MAC via iSync is stellar!
    Battery Life is ridiculous!! ALL day .. GPS on while I worked out.. 2 hours, running, skating, emails, etc etc.. 2 AM.. still half a charge left!
    tremendous apps.. available..
    the Build is the best of the best..
    can use my SKYPE account, via GPRS or wifi !!!
    voice , speakerphone is best I've ever heard
    it is very very fast!.. multitasking is superb! doesn't crash, don't have to do a battery pull every few hours ala Bold
    Nokia Mail is great!! for my Gmail and Mac mail..
    best of all.. my data plan is now $15/month from $30.00!

love it!
    05-14-09 03:22 PM
    Interesting. Most reviews say battery life and speakerphone are better on the Bold.

Im still considering getting a E71, or at least trying one out for a while. Is there a big diff between the E71 and E71-2?
    05-14-09 03:28 PM
    Sounds spectacular... Nokia is causing waves with this phone.

What about third-party app availability?
    05-14-09 03:32 PM
    there are tons of symbian apps available. Is the reception issue fixed from the first release??
    05-14-09 03:41 PM
    Battery Life is ridiculous!! ALL day .. GPS on while I worked out.. 2 hours, running, skating, emails, etc etc.. 2 AM.. still half a charge left!
    it is very very fast!.. multitasking is superb! doesn't crash, don't have to do a battery pull every few hours ala Bold

love it!
    Sounds good but I wil not be replacing my bold for anything, that is until the onyx comes to tmo.
    But if you are not going to use the bold I will take it off your hands as I have a friend that wants one pm me if you want to sell it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-09 04:18 PM
    Not to mention 2.5mm audio jack, woooo....
    Also I don't think I'd want to downgrade to a 320x240 screen with smaller keys on the keyboard...
    From everything I've read the email isn't anything close to BB push email.
    Last edited by papped; 05-14-09 at 04:26 PM.
    05-14-09 04:22 PM
    Everyone else in the company has a E71 (I insisted on a BB Bold).

The E71 is ok but having used a E61i for 2 years it was time for a change for me. The software is not intuitive at all. Although it is much faster on the E71 it is still not perfect. The push-email, at least on Vodafone, is really not good either. Hard to setup and even once you get it working it generally only stays working for a week or two before it breaks again. Generally that's about as far as you get with it because it never gives you a chance to really find out what it can do in terms of scrolling around e-mails, replying, and what not.

The keyboard is ridiculously small for a qwerty keyboard. It's not really usable at a half decent speed.

But the plus points are the battery life and that it is very small for a smartphone.

Having been using my BB Bold with BIS for a week now I can confidently say that I am a convert and won't be changing back to Nokia et al for a long time. I like the fact that BIS is centrally managed by Blackberry. It's not a shoddy server that goes up and down every few days due to it being hosted by Vodafone or whoever your carrier is. But the Bold phone itself is also very fast to use, and easy to use. All the menus are just plainly laid out and don't try to "hide" advanced things from you all time like the Nokia does.
    05-14-09 04:47 PM
    Couldn't agree more with papped & NathanE

E71 definitely feels more solid and more 'fashionable' vs the professional 'Business' feels on the Bold. Metal body is always nice as well as metal battery door.

Having used the Bold + Curve 8900 for a few months, I am sure I can not go back to the good old 320x240 screen , no 3.5mm earphone socket, which would automatically makes my Ultimate Ears Earphone useless and there is no way I'm buying another earphone just to use on E71 by itself! Camera is the same as the Curve 8900 but E71 keyboard sucks big time! it's so cramped I can't type properly, I keep mis-typing the key above/on the side all the time! Plus, like NathanE said, for push email, there is nothing better/reliable than BB

However, the only downside is BIS/BES plan is more expensive (My phone bill tripled because of BIS...) . If you don't need this kind of service from BB then E71 should suffice for most casual users
    05-14-09 05:15 PM
    I think certain smartphone manufacturers *cough HTC* really underestimate how much of a problem not using a 3.5mm jack is...

2.5mm isn't that much better than a proprietary cable because you still have to lug around a converter...
    05-14-09 05:17 PM
    Ahhh a typical Shawnfb post....my bro has the E71 and honestly other than being a well built device...its nothing to get excited about...the bold does eveything the E71 does but better and I've used my bros E71 extensively...in fact he prefers my Bold over the E71...heck even my new HTC Magic google phone is a much nicer device....I despise Symbian just as much as I hate winmo but symbian is slightly better. How you can prefer the screen of the E71 over the Bold is beyond me...I like screens that are crisp...the E71 isn't crisp...try turning up the brightness and see how long your battery lasts ;-)...the keyboard is way too small for my liking...can anyone say hand cramp?? Lol. Anyways enjoy your E71 dude, in a way I'm glad u like it...at least we won't have to be subjected to your posts about how bad the bold is.

05-14-09 06:45 PM

love it!
    wow all this excitement of a nokiae71 in the bold forum. im glad that you are a nokia convert. you can enjoy all the goodies the 71 is offering. i for one, will be sitting on the beach and catching up on my favorite shows with my bold rockin skyfire with os 5.0.
    05-14-09 08:15 PM
    wow all this excitement of a nokiae71 in the bold forum. im glad that you are a nokia convert. you can enjoy all the goodies the 71 is offering. i for one, will be sitting on the beach and catching up on my favorite shows with my bold rockin skyfire with os 5.0.
    He'll be able to do the same using a $15 a month data plan. Not to mention the Nokia Browser has has flash support, last I checked that isn't available on the Bold.
    05-14-09 08:23 PM
    He'll be able to do the same using a $15 a month data plan. Not to mention the Nokia Browser has has flash support, last I checked that isn't available on the Bold.
    Skyfire has flash support...
    05-14-09 08:24 PM
    Its beyond me how smartphone manufacturers think they can compete in a market with archaic technology such as low resolution screens. Does the E71 have wifi?

05-14-09 08:25 PM
    Hi all,

I had the E71 on trial from WOM world and after my E90 decided besides the great build materials it was very average so got a Bold instead. I know i made the right choice as bar the build materials the Bold is just so much better and more advanced than the E71 is it's a joke IMHO. It's a bit like all of Nokia's products since the E90 and especially their screens on their business phones @2.4" in 2009 are sad.

Oh and not everyone gets ripped off with a BB BIS plan my costs just �2.50pm for E-Mail and Internet which is half what it would cost me using a E71. But as always there is no one device perfect for all and the E71 wasn't even close to perfect for me. Where as the more I've got to know the Bold and what it can do the better it keeps on getting plus the leaked OS 5.0 is good now with more to come.

Marc
    05-14-09 08:39 PM
    I like the look of the E-71. I love BBM and Pinning..... whats so good about it!?!?
    05-14-09 09:46 PM
    I moved from the E71 to the Bold because of the unlimited international data plan for the Bold. There were a number of things I miss about the E71 including on handset VOIP and Jokuipot.

The Bold's e-mail is much better. Mail2Exchange didn't support HTML and had minimal folder support. Roadsync claimed that it was HTML, but it wasn't. Nokia's prorietary mail service had promise, but wasn't exchange compatible.

Maybe they got it better in Version 2.0. I still have the phone and will try it.

The Bold's screen is gorgeous, but you can't run apps from the smart card and I've already filled up my Bold's memory.
    05-14-09 10:27 PM
    ok people listen up. i traded my e71-2 to get my bold and yes the e71 (with the newest firmware update) has a better camera, better signal, absolutely freakin amazing build quality and more features (fm radio and flash support) than the bold, but it is NOT a better phone. the keyboard is very cramped, the screen resolution is horrendous, speakerphone SUCKSSSSSSSSSSS, and push email is nowhere to be found. this being said i would NOT trade my bold back for that phone and i have been a nokia believer since day 1. the nokia is more flashy and has more features overall but the bold does what it does well and does it seamlessly. the bottom line is the e71 has more to offer in a hard to use package and the bold gets the job done and has all the features you will use EVERYDAY in an easy to use package.
    05-14-09 11:15 PM
    i agree with the previous poster...i cant get used to the keyboard at all...the build quality is amazing but i just cant get used to the small keyboard...at all.
    05-14-09 11:36 PM
    the keyboard looks nice and plump from far away.. and then you use it and realize how wrong you were. squishy, with bad tactile feedback. (plus a horrible design. who puts the z right under the a?)
    05-14-09 11:44 PM
    Interesting. Most reviews say battery life and speakerphone are better on the Bold.

Im still considering getting a E71, or at least trying one out for a while. Is there a big diff between the E71 and E71-2?
    Nope E71 > BOLD when it comes to battery life.

I own both phones and I think the BOLD is much better overall. There are quite a few things that are nice on the E71, however, biggest complaint is email is SLOW on it. ALso, I like the BOLD OS much more too.
    05-15-09 12:12 AM
    Hey.. I caused a stir..
    anyway.. In response to the many that have asked questions..
    see if I can get to them all..
    OKAY.. for me and this particular E71-2 with the 2.xxx firmware.
    The Battery is at least double the time of the Bold given the same tasks..
    ie. If I used the Bold with GPS on.. etc.. I would have to charge before the day is up. The Nokia it just seems to go and go.. really amazing.. maybe attributed to the lower res screen..
    Now the screen.. it is 320x240.. but appears MUCH better than it sounds.. the screen is EXCELLENT..
    It has Wifi , and a great browser..
    I have Sports Tracker installed.. I must say if you workout, track your runs, skate, bike etc.. this is the nicest app I have EVER seen.. it's free..
    also Wellness Diary.. awesome!
    Market Simplified.. for TD Ameritrade.. works great
    Google Maps of course.. with INSTANTANEOUS GPS recognition..
    Nokia Maps 3.0.. with 3d rendering.. VERY NICE
    threaded sms with Conversations
    QuickOffice.. Word, Excel editing.. very nice
    I use Nokia Mail.. with MAC and Gmail.. side by side.. the speed to the phone vs the blackberry is exactly the same time. renders HTML.. and syncs all my folders.. what more can I ask for there?? it's great
    The form Factor is slick.. in your pocket is is so much smaller than the Bold.
    Very good Voice dialing, and The Phone reads my Mail to me, SMS, etc when I'm in the car!!!!
    I have an 8gb card in, I load apps and maps to the Card.. works perfectly
    The Gallery... for songs, images etc.. is so much faster rendering data than the Bold.. Pictures on my Bold would take forever..
    Podcasting on the E71 is very cool

and of course .. the $15.. vs $30 per month is a nice treat... I'm all for keeping as much money as I can.
    OH.. PS. I have the Black stainless Back on my Unlocked E71-2.. looks great

I like quality stuff.. this is a very high quality phone. Feels great in the hand, comes with Very nice headphones, (i also have the 2.5mm converter.. it's tiny and makes absolutely no difference.. complaints of 3.5 to 2.5 mm jacks i think is way over blown.. sure would be nice NOT having to use the converter.. but really, once it is on the cable end.. I never know its' there.

My Speakerphone is excellent!! VERY loud, VERY clear.. and the call quality is the best I have ever had on a phone.. the signal is extremely strong.. everywhere.
    hmm... what else..
    oh yeah..
    It also has infrared.. syncs with my printer, and you can control audio /video equipment..

what's best is I can actually use all of the features, all day and not worry about crashes, and battery life.
    05-15-09 04:12 PM
    The Gallery... for songs, images etc.. is so much faster rendering data than the Bold.. Pictures on my Bold would take forever..
    Pictures certainly don't take forever on 4.6.0.266 and the OS5 media viewer is even better...

Also, regarding the screen, the clarity doesn't really matter much if it's 320x240 because you don't have enough real estate compared to modern devices (and you get double penalized here because you have 2.4" dimension screen and lower res).
    Last edited by papped; 05-15-09 at 04:17 PM.
    05-15-09 04:15 PM
    Pictures certainly don't take forever on 4.6.0.266 and the OS5 media viewer is even better...

Also, regarding the screen, the clarity doesn't really matter much if it's 320x240 because you don't have enough real estate compared to modern devices (and you get double penalized here because you have 2.4" dimension screen and lower res).
    I think.. when I loaded pics on my card that were of high res taken from my dslr.. and viewed on the bold.. those pics took forever to load.. not so with the E71..

that's funny.. "modern" devices... The E71 isn't "modern" ?? The screen is very good.. yeah it is .4 inches smaller diagonally.. but the battery life is at least doubled, feels better in hand, and Pocket.. pros and cons..
    05-15-09 04:27 PM
    I use both phones daily as well. I can type the same speed on either phone. Though I can type much faster one handed on the E71. I charge my Bold every other day and my E71 every third day, I could get about another 1/2 day out of the E71. The main thing that the Bold has over the E71 is email, I could never get the E71 to get push email from my work account via MS OWA.
    05-15-09 04:35 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD