View Poll Results: Is a BlackBerry a Smartphone?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 60.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • I have no earthly idea

0 0%
  • I don't really care either way

2 40.00%
    I was just looking at the BlackBerry website for 'new' applications etc. Then, I saw this:

So, begs the question, is a BlackBerry a 'Smartphone' or not? And thus should it really be called 'BlackBerry Smartphone'?
    03-15-07 08:42 AM
    I'd say it is since it has evolved from more than just an email device.
    03-15-07 09:09 AM
    According to WikiPedia:

A smartphone is a full-featured mobile phone with personal computer like functionality. Most smartphones are camera phones that support full featured email capabilities with the functionality of a complete personal organizer. An important feature of most smartphones is that applications for enhanced data processing and connectivity can be installed on the device[1], by contrast to regular phones which support sandboxed applications. These applications may be developed by the manufacturer of the device, by the operator or by any other third-party software developer. "Smart" functionality includes any additional interface including a miniature QWERTY keyboard, a touch screen, or even just secure access to company mail, such as is provided by a BlackBerry.

Smartphone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    03-15-07 09:10 AM
    I guess that pretty much sums in up, kasperapd.

Here at work, we call Blackberries "smartphones", and we call Treos "dumbphones".
    dakidnel and oldmanjenkins like this.
    03-15-07 09:17 AM
    For me it's hard to say. I could do more my Treo then what I can on my BB but at the same time, my BB is more stable and solid as a rock. I don't consider it a smartphone but more a additional limb of my body.

To me a smartphone handles your e-mail, text messages, portable Web browsing, casual photography, cell phone calls.

Now yes we do have Blackberry's that have the camera in them now so I would say that they can be considered smartphones. A little late to the party per say but they made it.
    Last edited by audit01; 03-15-07 at 09:56 AM.
    03-15-07 09:35 AM
    It is a smart phone of sorts but i would just name it a "Blackberry"

Not many people who carry a Treo, I-Mate etc call there phones "my smartphone".

Some people name the Pearl as a "Multi Media Phone"..- whats that all about...?
    03-15-07 10:45 AM
    ...am seeing BlackBerry labled as a 'SmartPhone'. Maybe it's been ike that for a while, but I never noticed...
    03-17-07 10:29 AM
    I really started seeing it labeled as SmartPhone when the Pearl was first released.
    03-17-07 12:48 PM
    ...that it's a SmartPhone, no? My BlackBerry Pearl is pretty smart, it rings a certain way when the wife calls...
    03-23-07 11:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD