So I have a problem. I have been a BBlover for over 8 years. The new company I am at does not have a BB Exchange Server...I work offsite through a Citrix connection to access my Outlook. Citrix will only stay connected for a few minutes of being idle.

After speaking to the IT group they tell me that to setup the BBES is $2,000 ad a monthly fee of something like $200. They recommend me switching to a Microsoft Exchange Server phone...

I am currently with Verizon and really really like them....and really really really dont like at&t for the areas that I am usually in...dropped calls, etc.

Since I am so loyal to BB I have never considered even looking at another phone...even if she's cute... I just started looking at it appears that Verizon doesnt have too many choices. What phones would you suggest? Can I buy a Sprint phone (also CDMA) and will it work properly? Ideally I would like full qwerty, wi-fi, gps, cdma (verizon), 3g....and and and.

Thanks in advance!
    03-02-09 08:02 PM
    Ahh the mis-informed IT dept. You can keep your BB. I repeat you can keep your BB. Log into your BIS, and add your company's email information as an IMAP server. The reason for the IMAP and not the OWA settings, is because using IMAP you can get your email faster. BIS Poles MS Exchange every 15 minutes, if you go the OWA way. Just ask them for the IMAP settings.
    03-02-09 09:30 PM
    Thank you very much arch378!
    03-02-09 09:38 PM
    Hope it works out for ya...
    03-02-09 09:41 PM
    A couple of things though, which I just remembered. Your Exchange contacts isn't going to sync with your BB under IMAP/OWA, I believe that only works with BES. Not sure if that will be the dealbreaker for you.

IF having constant email access is highly important, I'd suggest asking if they will reimburse you for your dataplan, or provide you with a WM phone. The second might be a stretch, but you never know.
    Last edited by arch378; 03-02-09 at 09:49 PM.
    03-02-09 09:46 PM
    I dont care too much about the contacts coming over since I already have them all in my BB. Will the messages sent from my BB sync? I can deal with a 15min lag...its better than having to switch phones.
    03-02-09 09:57 PM
    It will, you'll have a new folder on your outlook called Sent Messages, and that's where emails sent from your BB will show up. I just double checked with my work account. Just make sure that all of your emails go into your inbox and not into a folder.
    Last edited by arch378; 03-02-09 at 10:03 PM.
    03-02-09 10:00 PM
    Great! I will post again tomorrow to let you know how it worked out. Thanks again!
    03-02-09 10:05 PM
    I spoke to our offsite IT department. They wouldn't hand over the IMAP settings. They are concerned about security...what ports need to be open...firewall....blah...etc. I am pretty illiterate when it comes to tech stuff so I didn't know what to do except find more information for them. Anyone know where I could find more details that would possibly satisfy the IT department?
    03-03-09 01:35 PM
    Imap is port 143. IMAP over SSL is 993. After opening up that port they'd then have to enable - imap support on your exchange account.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-09 04:47 PM
    If they are going to give youy a hassle ask them if they'll be willing to provide you with a WM device and service.

03-03-09 04:51 PM
    Thanks!

IF it comes to a new device.... Any recommendations? I like the new PRE but that is Sprint and Im with Verizon....both are CDMA so I wonder if that PRE would work on Verizon when it comes out.
    03-03-09 04:55 PM
    The CDMA carriers don't permit crossover on their respective services, unfortunately.

03-03-09 05:06 PM
    Imap is port 143. IMAP over SSL is 993. After opening up that port they'd then have to enable - imap support on your exchange account.

I got this from IT guys... "See if you can find a link on your providers web page that has more specific info." Now I'm trying to find something on Verizon site.
    03-04-09 05:37 PM
    I have no idea what they are looking for. It sounds like a) they just don't want to do anything b) don't know how to do enable IMAP. All the security is done from the company's firewall and from exchange, and has nothing to do with if you're trying to use IMAP from a phone, or from your home computer using outlook. The IMAP ports 143 and 993, are standard ports that Exchange uses, just like port 80 is used for HTTP.

I think they're just trying to give you a hard time.
    03-04-09 10:17 PM
    I believe the answer is "c) all of the above"

I'm still bugging them...hopefully they listen soon. Thanks again!
    03-05-09 10:03 AM
    granted i may be switching back to a bb. I have a VZW saga, it has everything you need or asking for. slightly bigger then the curve but not as thick. should check it out
    03-29-09 10:36 AM
    The CDMA carriers don't permit crossover on their respective services, unfortunately.

VZW offers and open network, starting back in 2008. they dont talk about it much, if you have a cdma device that has been unlock it can take 2 weeks forr verizon to build a network for it or longer. and there is no tech support if the device has issues.
    03-29-09 10:41 AM
    Well...just an update. They finally got me setup. I dont know exactly what they did but I had to create a blackberry email address and now they forward my company email to that address. Thanks again for all the info!
    03-30-09 12:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD