I am getting an HTC Hero cdma from Sprint WED. So tell me why I shouldn't keep it.. Or why I should return it....

If you don't want to reply fine

Please don't flame the thread

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-09 01:02 AM
    The hero is cool. I've been thinking of an android device myself. Plus, I believe the hero will get 2.0.

11-28-09 02:19 AM
    I have mine. The only downfall I have with the phone is that it is a little laggy at times and the messaging is no where near the standard of bb. I'm still debating going back just for the messaging godness of bb.

11-28-09 02:20 AM
    Hero will get 2.0. It's one of the only android phones that they have announced will get it.

11-28-09 02:21 AM
    Whatever you guys do just don't get the T-Mobile G1 it sucks
    11-28-09 02:44 AM
    I have a hero.

I used to have a pearl, and in august I tried a tour for a few days. I returned it because the home row of lights would not shut off, and signal strength was less than my pearl.

The hero rocks, the interface is amazing, but there are a few problems. Most of the issues were resolved in a recent firmware update but there are two that will not be be changed:

1.) The phone is a bit laggy. There is talk about 'Android 2 this, or hacked roms that.' I really doubt either of these updates will significantly improve the response.

2.) Dust under the glass. It is amazing to me this would be an issue, but the screen is not sealed on the hero, I had my first hero for a week before dust started showing up under the glass.

I took my hero apart, but I couldn't separate the screen assembly from the front cover and stopped because I didn't want to break it.

I swapped it for another hero because of the dust and a few dead pixels, the second hero had a dead pixel, the third was fine.

I just fear if I am already on my 3rd hero, if this is really the best idea.

I am considering going back to a tour. So conflicted.

Strengths:
    Touchscreen
    Interface
    Web Browser
    Form Factor
    Scalability of OS

Weakness:
    Speed
    Dust Under Glass

11-28-09 03:32 AM
    the HERO is really cool... if you want it badly go for it
    11-28-09 06:01 AM
    I have one and love it but my company is switching back to T-Mobile so I have decided to jump to a Blackberry Bold 9700 instead of one of the crappy android phones T-Mobile offers.

Honestly this 9700 will be my first Blackberry so I can't really compare them.
    However, the Hero is the best phone I have owned to date, and I have been through quite a few smartphones. I've had just about every Winblows mobile device and had the iPhone for about a year and a half. Android is definitely the smoothest operating system out of any I have used.

Hopefully the Bold 9700 doesn't let me down.
    11-28-09 08:43 AM
    im sure they will close this thread, but is there any cool sites or forums for android or hero?
    11-28-09 12:02 PM
    I have a hero and have had for about 2-3 weeks. I love it and reccomend the phone to anyone that would like a touch screen phone with endless possibilities. I came from a curve which was an awesome phone but the apps and internet alone were reason enough for me to switch. I'm not so thrilled with the battery life, and if you do end up getting the phone i highly recomend getting an app such as taskiller to close out of applications. I also highly discourage you from root accessing the phone. Maybe i was under the wrong impression before my brother in law and i rooted our phones, but it sucks. lol. I never had issues with my phone lagging before rooting it and now there is a slight delay where there wasn't before. If you get something like taskiller it will improve your battery life emensly! The nicest thing about it is putting a widget on one of your home screens and having the ability to close all programs at once. I also expected to be able to uninstall any sprint software that i do not want or use, such *** sprint tv or nascar. I guessed it was my fault for assuming but when positioned as an "open ended" operating system i couldn't help myself =) overall i am very impressed with the phone. as far as the dust in the screen goes i haven't seen any issue but i also put a screen protector on which by the way supprisingly enough did not alter my screen response at all. Very impressive. overall i give the phone a 9.5 out 0f 10, only because of the battery issues. hopefully htc and sprint will come out with an extended life battery but who knows?

Hope this helps, and if you decide to get the phone i hope you enjoy it!
    11-28-09 05:55 PM
    The Hero is an incredible phone, I've had no issues with it at all, I don't run a task manager/killer, and I enjoy 12-14 hours of battery life each day. I have 7 full screens of widgets/shortcuts, and the phone is always in my hand. I would not consider going back to a blackberry after having enjoyed the greatness that is Android. I have no dust under the screen, or lag when using the phone. I could not be happier with the look and functionality of the Hero.
    11-28-09 10:42 PM
    I was given a free htc magic-which was nice. But problems galore: apps caused problems on phone and caused problems with emails. I was getting a few and some were being sent. Problems was some of the apps. Also, if you received an email with pdf or some form of attatchments, you could only open them up if they were sent to a googlemail account. No good to me as I did not have a googlemail account-so I had to go to a computer to open them up. What a silly system. Also using phone abroad was Extremely expensive. Beware of this- you have to turn roam off or you will incur huge cost. This is where bb comes into its own. Ok, maybe the hero is slightly better, but I stuck to all my bbs thru the years and they are ultra reliable. Good browsing on htc though, it is a nice phone. I keep it as a spare. But bb for me. My take

11-29-09 01:13 PM
    Semantics 12-14 hours of battery life each day is very impressive. Would you mind telling me how your getting such good battery life could you post your settings? I get about 6 hrs of solid use from mine. I was thinking about going with a extended battery but don't really want to spend the extra money know what I mean. Thanks
    12-09-09 05:22 AM
    Semantics 12-14 hours of battery life each day is very impressive. Would you mind telling me how your getting such good battery life could you post your settings? I get about 6 hrs of solid use from mine. I was thinking about going with a extended battery but don't really want to spend the extra money know what I mean. Thanks
    You can buy a bigger battery... 1750mAh
    12-15-09 12:09 AM
    The Hero is a great phone. It is laggy because it *should* have better hardware, but from the time I have played with the Eris (same phone), it is not too bad and very usable.
    12-16-09 08:24 PM
    I used to have the Hero and I loved it, I switched to the Moment because I can't live without the Keyboard :P
    12-21-09 10:46 PM
    I used to have the Hero and I loved it, I switched to the Moment because I can't live without the Keyboard :P
    I have the HTC Hero right now and I LOVE IT

What differences is there between the Moment and Hero besides the keyboard?
    12-21-09 10:49 PM
    I love my Hero. I think it is one of the most interesting devices that I have ever had. I had an iPhone, but I got bored with it. Outside of the apps, the Iphone didnt show me anything new. I love blackberry devices but I wanted a touchscreen. I decided to give Android a try and I must day that I am really impressed. The Hero is like the middle child between the iPhone and blackberry.

03-11-10 07:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD