Okay, I know this is a Blackberry forum, but I have to admit that I'm a little sad to see that Palm will no longer be supporting it's namesake operating system. I mean, Palm OS devices are what clued me in to the joys of a smartphone. Ultimately it was the limitations of Palm OS & the Blackberry's evolution from a portable email device to a more robust smartphone which led me to embrace the Crackberry. Haven't looked back once!

R.I.P. Palm OS

My lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Edge -> Palm m505 (upgraded to 16 Mb) -> Palm Tungsten T2 -> Handspring Treo 600 --> Palm Treo 700p --> Blackberry Pearl 8130 + Palm TX --> Blackberry Storm 9530
    02-11-09 07:05 PM
    I have never used a Palm really i have tried it for like a day and HATED those OS for the palms, i had to go back to my BB
    02-11-09 08:38 PM
    I have never used a Palm really i have tried it for like a day and HATED those OS for the palms, i had to go back to my BB
    Good to see that you saw the light...even if it was only a day.
    02-11-09 08:39 PM
    Na na na na kiss it goodbye!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 09:25 PM
    You have to respect though that back in the days Palm's were THE device to have. Too bad they're not relying on POS WM OS.
    02-19-09 09:10 PM
    Heh -- I'm old enough to recall that the song "Easy come, easy go" was Bobby Sherman's last hit -- after which he dropped off into near-total obscurity. IIRC, he's running a paramedic / rescue company these days.....and probably using a BB.

Unlike in the early days of the Palm: there are a gazillion different smartphones / PDA's / etc. available on the market today. And on the top-end of those models, I'm not so sure that any one smartphone maker or model blows the others out of the water -- rather, it's all a matter of individual tastes & needs. It just depends upon what meets *your* particular requirements.

I don't like iPhones -- but other people think that they're the best around. So for them: they are the best around. But not for me.

Personally, I've always liked the Palm OS. I still use it on my 3+-year-old PDA. And it serves me well. But.....there comes a time for a change. I don't think that you'd go wrong with most of the cream of the new devices. Whether those devices were made by RIM or by Palm. Or even by somebody else. Now.....the cheaper smartphones are a different matter.....but hey: some people love Centros, too. And if that's their taste: then it's right for them. Perhaps a Centro is all that they can afford, and still own a smartphone.

BTW - I don't think that Palm as a company is dead. Not by a long shot. It's been an amazing turn-around for them. Even Apple seems to think that the new Palm is enough of a threat to hint at legal action against them.

Personally, I suspect that Steve Jobs is just upset that he lost some of his top talent to Palm, of all companies. What an insult......to pride.
    Last edited by Sword1; 02-20-09 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Stylistic.
    02-20-09 02:31 AM
    Apple was on the ropes a few years back, too. Some people were even predicting Apple's impending demise at the time.
    02-20-09 02:39 AM
    I tried the 650 for a weekend and I was so glad to have my back then 8700 back in my hands. I personally think the Palm OS is a bit confusing but maybe that is just me. But we shall see how their new OS works out for them though

02-20-09 02:56 AM
    RIP Treo 680.

I loved it, but now I'm a blackberry addict!

Kinda sad to see palmos go, it wasn't so bad.
    02-20-09 12:17 PM
    Okay, I know this is a Blackberry forum, but I have to admit that I'm a little sad to see that Palm will no longer be supporting it's namesake operating system. I mean, Palm OS devices are what clued me in to the joys of a smartphone. Ultimately it was the limitations of Palm OS & the Blackberry's evolution from a portable email device to a more robust smartphone which led me to embrace the Crackberry. Haven't looked back once!

R.I.P. Palm OS

My lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Edge -> Palm m505 (upgraded to 16 Mb) -> Palm Tungsten T2 -> Handspring Treo 600 --> Palm Treo 700p --> Blackberry Pearl 8130 + Palm TX --> Blackberry Storm 9530
    and then you'll use the pre and realize it blows the storm out of the water. you're ******** if you're sad about webOS. it will blow the socks off of everything thats out there right now, all it's really lacking is more storage space and better apps - both of which time will fix.

blackberry however lacks being in the year 2009, **** it lacks being in the year 2007. bb = old tech. webos, android, and even the iphone blow BB out of the water. winmo 7 blows bb 4.6/4.7 away. Blackberry needs to wake up, and fast. they have a shot at a comeback in a few years if they really push, otherwise the others are gonna continue to steal the show
    02-24-09 11:37 PM
    im glad . i hated that os... .love the blackberry
    02-26-09 09:00 AM
    Palm's OS was majorly showing its age.
    02-26-09 05:37 PM
    Palm's os is tired, but the new webOs looks really good.
    02-28-09 01:28 AM
    I retired my Palm Tre0 650 when the Blackberry 8800 came out. The Palm was a nice phone, but once I tried out the blackberry I knew I would never buy another Palm. Just this weekend I purchased the bold and will continue buying blackberry devices.
    03-02-09 01:53 PM
    Oh, what a happy day when I was able to ditch my Treo 650. Got a sleek, ultra-hip and oh so cool iPhone. The cool wore off, and led to an even happier day was when I gave the iPhone to my daughter and chose an 8330, which for *my* needs, fits much better.
    03-04-09 12:04 AM
    I'm pretty new to BB, I just got five 8320's for myself and four of my employees in January. So, I am happy with the decision to go to BB.
    Before BB, we had Treo's running Windows Mobile 6. Maybe I'm a little biased (I own an IT company that is HEAVY into Microsoft solutions), but the WM OS performed flawlessly for us. I maybe even liked it a little better than BB's OS. That feeling may change when we get BES rolled out on our Exchange server, but WM is certainly a more seemless fit into our exisisting infrastructure. Not bashing BB at all. Just my opinion.
    03-04-09 12:46 AM
    I loved my Palm 755p--thought the OS was much more user friendly.

Now I've got a Bold and there's no looking back!
    03-04-09 05:06 AM
    Apple was on the ropes a few years back, too. Some people were even predicting Apple's impending demise at the time.
    People have been predicting that for a couple of decades
    03-04-09 06:08 AM
    Welcome to Crack!
    03-04-09 07:57 AM
    I just bought an 8703e off eBay, but while looking into different smartphones I looked at the Treos. EVERYONE, even the guy at the Alltel store, told me not to get one! I do not understand why, I happen to like the Palm OS! I used to have a Sony Clie in high school that ran Palm OS, and in fact, I have a prehistoric Palm IIIxe (released in FEB 2000) that I CURRENTLY use to keep track of my homework and my schedule! I am a college student now, so I was definitely too young to need one in 2000, yet I bought one on eBay within the last year and it suits my needs just fine. The graphical user interface is nice and easy to use, and it does anything I would ever need it to, though I will probably retire it once my Blackberry arrives.
    03-20-09 03:03 PM
    The Palm OS was so advanced in its heyday and in many ways, still is. It is not necessarily that it has outlived its usefulness -- Sengo's comments here illustrate that. Great PIM software, countless applications, a small yet stable OS are all testaments to Palm. Unfortunately, we've become so accustomed to having updates, new GUI's, etc. every few months (and at least yearly), that the Palm OS "seems" outdated.

My first smartphone was a Treo 300 in 2003; people were amazed at what it could do at the time. Even back then it could even handle MMS, cut and paste, and several other things that the iPhone still can't do. And, I think is still better than Microsoft's bloatware OS's. That said, RIM and Apple have done a remarkable job of making what was a corporate or "nerdish" device become desirable to consumers - something Palm and Microsoft were never able to do. And in this world, that's all that counts. By the time Palm finally updated their Treo 600's, instead of learning from Apple's iPod and making a device that is useful AND looks beautiful, they stuck to making small little bricks that looked unappealing and seemed uninspired design-wise.

Like many others here, I've switched to a Blackberry from a Palm - (primarily because of push email), but I very much hope that the Pre becomes a major hit; and if it comes to GSM, I may consider purchasing it myself.
    03-21-09 09:37 AM
    I LOVE my curve, and would never go to a Palm, but I have ALWAYS loved the way they look. My boss has one and I love it, but I am trying to talk her into a blackberry haha..
    03-30-09 09:08 PM
    I loved my Palm TX. I got it when I was 15 and I wouldn't put it down. Ah, good times. My friend and I were constantly "beaming" each other stuff and I did all of my essay assignments on it as well.

Truthfully, I only stopped using it when I got my Blackberry. I still pick it up every once in a while hehe.

I never had a problem with the Palm OS and enjoyed using it. However, BB is great since it's a great PDA AND a great phone, so I would rather use that now.
    04-09-09 01:44 AM
    Owned a 650 once.. Thought it was great until I got ahold of a BlackBerry.

04-09-09 01:53 AM
    So now that there is a Palm OS simulator for the Pre, did you change your mind?

04-15-09 03:00 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD