Walt Mossberg says 3G iPhone coming within 60 days | The Mobile Gadgeteer | ZDNet.com

There has been a lot of speculation on when the 3G version of the iPhone would be coming, but today Walt Mossberg appeared to let the cat out of the bag in a video where he states that the 3G iPhone will be released within 60 days. Thanks to The Boy Genius Report for the link.

This news makes sense since the iPhone 2.0 update will be coming in a couple of months as well and the launch of a new device to go along with the new software is a natural assumption. I am pretty happy with my iPhone, but the lack of 3G is a real bummer that results in my using other devices instead of the iPhone to be productive on the road. A 3G iPhone with the new firmware is going to be very tempting and tough for me to resist. However, I will have to see other hardware improvements such as Bluetooth connectivity to a keyboard, A2DP Bluetooth support, and video capture capability before I’ll jump so quickly to buy an iPhone this time.

The video below shows Walt making the statement at 6:53 into the video so you can hear it for yourself. Walt gets Apple products earlier than most everyone else so I believe it when he says 60 days too.
    Steve Jobs confirmed that Apple would release the device in '08 back in september of last year. I think we might see a BB9000 release date soon! YAY!
    Last edited by Jackal; 04-06-08 at 09:56 PM.
    04-06-08 09:52 PM
    iphone=overrated. Do not regret trading in my iphone for my curve.
    04-06-08 10:05 PM
    Not to sound dumb but what exactly does it mean to have a 3G phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-08 10:07 PM
    If the IPHONE a.k.a. Jesus PHone, have all the capabilities like the blackberry such as push emails, and all that stuff plus have windows mobile then top of all, have the stylus pen, then I ll jump the bandwagon. The more I research it and it pushes me away. I almost have got bitten by the Jesus phone but something was telling me to get a BB curve.

Know any phone that has all that and bag of chips? Bar none! BB is the closest one.
    04-06-08 10:08 PM
    I wasn't posting this to say good job Apple, more as a timeframe. Apple just seems to give more release dates than RIM. You can't expect this move by Apple to go unanswered by RIM especially after Apples last major press confrence basically called RIM out.

I would say that we should expect to see a "response" from RIM sometime around that 60 day mark.

04-06-08 11:41 PM
    iphone=overrated. Do not regret trading in my iphone for my curve.

No love for the iphone in this forum!
    04-07-08 12:28 AM
    People need to realize their 2 different devices, what BB excels at..iPhone fails at and vice versa, the iPhone may have "enterprise" services coming to it, but it's still behind in terms of respect on the enterprise and IT front...3G or not, still not gonna make much of a difference to the IT Admins that will be placing it on their servers etc..it will need to prove it has the security and functionality to be there...some IT Admins will allow it to be on their services some won't...but really this whole "Oh Noes, RIM is going to die cause the iPhone will have 3G and enterprise" needs to just die, it's fanboyism at it's best and neglect to see the obvious at a rational user level.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 04-07-08 at 12:38 PM.
    04-07-08 12:34 PM
    No love for the iphone in this forum!

None over here.
    04-07-08 02:53 PM
    no ilove from me
    04-07-08 02:56 PM
    No love for that scrub device!
    04-07-08 02:59 PM
    AHH WTF why did everybody think I was talking about just the iPhone.... I posted it in the rumors section BECAUSE RIM WILL MOST LIKELY RESPOND TO THIS

and what does that mean? If Apple has a 3G phone on the market and RIM doesn't they lose part of the smartphone market because RIM currently has no 3G device. SO...

Speculation would point to RIM releasing a 3G device within a similar time frame so as not to lose shares of the market.

I never said that RIM would die, but you have to think that they wouldn't have a 3G device to fill the void and provide support for those who want a 3G device.

Now agree or disagree...
    Last edited by Jackal; 04-07-08 at 05:20 PM.
    04-07-08 05:13 PM
    Which carriers are currently 100% 3G and ready?
    04-07-08 05:24 PM
    RIM does have 3G. The 8130 is 3G. I'm betting the 8330 is 3G also. I'm not sure about the 8830WE, but I'd bet that's 3G also.

04-19-08 10:46 PM
    Not impressed yet....
    04-19-08 10:55 PM
    All of this is corporate and tech-junkie news. Really, how many typical iPhone users are actually concerned their device isn't 3G? Very few. Unless huge changes are made, you will not see a surge in new users. Though typically Apple does make significant product changes, so I wouldn't be surprised.
    04-20-08 02:10 AM
    I don't know how 3G is on other carriers but I have used 3G and EDGE devices on ATT.

Not much of a difference as far as speed goes.

I wouldn't get all gushy about a 3G iPhone.

04-20-08 01:40 PM
    Have you used WiFi on the iPhone?

Well there is definitely a difference because of the browser.

The other thing is being able to use data features while being on the phone.

I believe this to be close to true. I had predicted the same. Look how a lot of stores are going out of stock and how much sense it would make to release near the original launch date.
    04-26-08 02:19 PM
    Summary of the Iphone: It is a joke! When compared to any BB.

04-30-08 01:27 PM
    Summary of the Iphone: It is a joke! When compared to any BB.

i'm a little more objective than most of you here.

I think what apple does with technology is great. It's fun to see what else they introduce. I'm a fan of apple products and for work (recording engineer) they make the best hardware for the studio.

It's a matter of taste but you can't deny the revolutionary things apple is doing with the iphone.
    04-30-08 04:14 PM
    i'm a little more objective than most of you here.

I think what apple does with technology is great. It's fun to see what else they introduce. I'm a fan of apple products and for work (recording engineer) they make the best hardware for the studio.

It's a matter of taste but you can't deny the revolutionary things apple is doing with the iphone.
    Of course not... RIM wouldn't be attempting to recruit someone who can help with the iPhone Killer.
    04-30-08 08:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD