Or is it taken Microsoft so long to produce anything that can even remotely compete, they are now a non-factor?

I dont know about you, but with an iPhone 3GS I carry around with me (use WIFI when I can) and my Motorola Droid(has my active #), I am not really interrested in Windows Mobile any longer.

Microsoft better revolutionize the mobile world, or they will be the laughing stock of it.

Anyone agree?
    12-09-09 12:46 PM
    I think MS is already becoming the laughing stock, for one, they don't release updates to fix problems with WM, even though it has an app that connects to windows update. All other companies are actively pursuing improving their software and fixing problems with it. Even HTC, which is/was a huge WMD manufacturer is slowly moving away from their dependency with WM. The only thing that's saving WMD are the new ideas that manufacturers are coming out with in terms of the look and style of the phone, and improved hardware.
    12-09-09 01:34 PM
    I'm not really sure where you are getting that they are a non factor... Marketshare doesn't really say that.

Even if they had a significant drop I'm not really sure how you can justify 8% of the world marketshare as a "non factor"... Also pretty much everyone already knows that they have a 100% OS revamp in the works that runs on new hardware.
    12-09-09 02:25 PM
    Over the last year, how many blogs, websites, forum posts, news sites have posted about the cool new features of a Windows Mobile?

6.5 was a quiet release.. the update 6.5.1 will be a quiet release.

Microsoft doesn't do simple hype train things like some of the other companies do. They don't "advertise" to websites. They have the old mentality to advertise via television.

How many Google commercials have you seen on TV? Zero.

Have many Bing commercials have you seen on TV? ALOT.

Microsoft's problem is that they aren't hyping their devices their correct way, via the internet blogs sites.

Look how long Windows Mobile has been around compared to Android, then look at this image. In a year, if Microsoft doesn't do anything, their paultry ~7% is only going to go lower.

12-09-09 04:04 PM
    Over the last year, how many blogs, websites, forum posts, news sites have posted about the cool new features of a Windows Mobile?

6.5 was a quiet release.. the update 6.5.1 will be a quiet release.
    Where are you reading? All of the places I visited were extremely active on every single WM 6.5 and 6.5.1 build leak... (xda, wmexperts, etc).

Don't confuse your personal interest level with that of every blog and website out there. I'm sorry if you feel ~8% world marketshare is worthless, but that's not exactly a "non factor" like you state it is.
    Last edited by papped; 12-09-09 at 06:58 PM.
    12-09-09 06:56 PM
    Yea WM has been falling off. Even they admit it. I still think the Omnia 2 is a sweet phone, you just have to adjust it. If WM doens't get its act together with WM 7.0 then I think they will be the end of it. There are a select few who do love their WM phones. I hope they get their act together. I might actually purchase the Omnia 2 by months end. We'll see.....
    12-10-09 10:53 AM
    Where are you reading? All of the places I visited were extremely active on every single WM 6.5 and 6.5.1 build leak... (xda, wmexperts, etc).

Don't confuse your personal interest level with that of every blog and website out there. I'm sorry if you feel ~8% world marketshare is worthless, but that's not exactly a "non factor" like you state it is.
    "every blog and website out there." such as?

What site's am I reading? I'm reading AT&T Premier where I order devices from, or VEK for Verizon.

It's obvious they carriers are no longer pushing Windows Mobile hardcore like they were. Have you seen any Motorola press releases lately? or HTC? Or Sony? Those used to be Windows Mobile only smartphone makers. Now look at how many Android devices they are pushing over WinMo. It's getting more and more lopsided every single day, every month and it will get worse.

If you can't see this and you actually think Windows Mobile 6.5, or 6.5.1 is good, then you got blinders on.
    12-10-09 11:21 AM
    I don't recall saying whether 6.5 or 6.5.1 was good or not.

And if I was going to discuss that, it would be wasted on this board as this section is probably the most dead section of the forum.
    12-10-09 12:28 PM
    I'm looking forward to Windows Mobile 7.0. My first smartphone was a Samsung SCH i760 before I joined Crackberry Nation, so I have a softspot for Windows Mobile platform.
    12-19-09 01:19 AM
    Microsoft should just buy palm
    01-04-10 11:51 AM
    Microsoft should just buy palm
    Not sure it would be wise to dump a bunch of money in a platform that is not gaining much traction right now and end up having to scrap all your WM7 work on top of that...
    01-04-10 02:29 PM
    I've had several WM devices in the past and I loved them - the Audiovox Pocket PC and the Siemens SX66. They both had huge displays, but I used them as a complement to a much smaller smartphone. It wasn't until my work handed me a Blackberry that I fell in love with RIM. Oh, yeah, there was that short indiscretion with an iPhone, but it was only a summer thing. Literally 29 days.

I recently read that HP is coming up with a new device, the ipac Glisten. I'm curious. I still have that line empty that I used during that brief iPhone affair.
    01-05-10 07:28 AM
    There are some really good WindowsMobile devices that have been just released and due out soon. I like the new LG eXpo. With the pico projector, that is a stellar device. I also like the Tilt 2. Let's not forget the HD 2 that will be coming out soon. When WindowsMobile 7 releases, I think there will be renewed affection for the operating system. It may not be better than Android, Apple OS, or Web OS. But there are a lot of people who like it. They will continue to be a factor in smartphones. Microsoft is too big to go away like that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-10 06:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD