Hi all,

I just got out of a vzw contract today with a bberry curve 8330. I have been looking to leave vzw for a while, just wasn't crazy about other devices. When sprint came out with the any mobile plan I went to a store and checked out the pre. I really liked it but knowing first generations have problems what are the good and bad things you can share?
    09-18-09 09:56 PM
    Hiya! I'm not a Pre owner right now, but like you, I've been wanting to find out more about it. I might suggest than in addition to finding out info from the Pre owners here, you might wanna check out PreCentral since it's CB sister site dealing with all things Pre. I'm sure there are Pre users here who'll chime in, but I also know they'll be a minority, since this is primarily a BlackBerry site.
    09-18-09 10:09 PM
    Very good suggestion, thanks!
    09-18-09 10:27 PM
    Overall, its a great device and I'm still very happy with it. I left VZW for Sprint because of cost, and have had the Pre since launch day. There are some things it is without that would be nice to have (txt forwarding, video recording) but aren't essential for me. Some things are coming with WebOS 1.2 (email search, copy and paste from non-text fields, etc.) and the app store is going full speed on the 24th. I'd say try it out and see how you like it. Coming from a BB, I'm very glad I made the switch.
    09-19-09 12:46 AM
    Overall, its a great device and I'm still very happy with it. I left VZW for Sprint because of cost, and have had the Pre since launch day. There are some things it is without that would be nice to have (txt forwarding, video recording) but aren't essential for me. Some things are coming with WebOS 1.2 (email search, copy and paste from non-text fields, etc.) and the app store is going full speed on the 24th. I'd say try it out and see how you like it. Coming from a BB, I'm very glad I made the switch.
    I am the same way. Switched yesterday from VZW to Sprint because of the cost of their plans! I love the any mobile anytime. I got the Pre and so far my only HUGE complaint is battery life. It isn't the best, but the phone is worth it.
    09-19-09 09:51 AM
    You guys are lucky to not have hardware issues! I LOVED the price of the plan but couldn't keep it because of the hardware defects :/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-09 03:15 PM
    I think the major Cons are:

Battery life sucks!
    The keyboard is too small!

I don't personally own one, but I have to friends that have it and this is what they have told me, I've also played with the Pre.
    09-19-09 03:21 PM
    I think the major Cons are:

Battery life sucks!
    The keyboard is too small!

I don't personally own one, but I have to friends that have it and this is what they have told me, I've also played with the Pre.
    The battery life on my Pre was pretty bad when I first got it, but over the course of a week it improved greatly and I don't have an issue with it. I have large hands, and the keyboard is not too small at all.

Maybe you should own the device you're talking about before, well, talking about it.
    09-19-09 06:34 PM
    I dont own one (soon though ) and we have a demo at work, i love the phone, lots of apps the flip on the screen works well and the touch i have had no problems. Only thing i wish that it had was a chat system like bbm. the slide out keyboard is nice too.
    09-22-09 01:49 PM
    The palm pre is a good little phone.

iIMO the only draw backs are:

1.) the keyboard, but you adapt to it with time

2.) battery life, this has been a constant struggle and it seems I go from charger to charger all day.

3.) no LED notidication, but this will be included in the next OS update. The little center button glows when you have a message.

As far as hardware issues go, the only problem I have is the phone rebooting from time to time when I close it TOO hard.

09-23-09 04:05 PM
    I wouldn't hold it against you to switch the pre is a very good phone and I wish I could get it only set back for me is no bbm

09-23-09 04:15 PM
    The palm pre is a good little phone.

iIMO the only draw backs are:

1.) the keyboard, but you adapt to it with time

2.) battery life, this has been a constant struggle and it seems I go from charger to charger all day.

3.) no LED notidication, but this will be included in the next OS update. The little center button glows when you have a message.

As far as hardware issues go, the only problem I have is the phone rebooting from time to time when I close it TOO hard.

Precentral.net has a tips on how to save the battery life, now I don't have that issue.
    10-06-09 11:08 PM
    I made the switch from a Tour to a Pre and absolutely love. The multi-tasking is a breeze, much improved over my experience with the Tour. The web browser is absolute heaven. The keyboard really isnt that bad. I actually make less mistakes with than I did with the Tour which I attribute to the chiclet style keys. The battery life obviously is not a strong point. EVDO access kills it quickly at the rate of around 10% an hour with constant use. I can easily get through a twelve hour workday with around 40% left. My off days when I am browsing more is a little sketchier and usually have to hit the charger.
    10-10-09 11:28 AM
    Apps are hitting the store daily, won't take long before it exceeds bberry store.

10-13-09 03:41 PM
    The Pre is a nice phone, and with Homebrew/patches you can make your Pre do alot including led notifications.

My problem with the Pre is the crackberry that still runs in my veins lol.
    10-19-09 05:10 PM
    The Pre is a nice phone, and with Homebrew/patches you can make your Pre do alot including led notifications.

My problem with the Pre is the crackberry that still runs in my veins lol.
    Good point. I think in a year or so the enhacements to the Pre will make it a great contenter...like a reall spell checker

10-22-09 06:53 PM
    Good point. I think in a year or so the enhacements to the Pre will make it a great contenter...like a reall spell checker

Thats the problem, you say a year from now, but Palm does not have that long IMO. Palm drags their feet to much, and I know owning the Treo 650, Treo 700, Centro, and now the Pre.
    10-22-09 07:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD