I can't say I didn't warn her! She picked one up on release day and was immediately dissapointed when she got home and took it out of the box. I got some time with it and the build was REALLY dinky to me. Compared to my iPhone and Bold it just felt too brittle. Some of my kids toys felt more solid than the Pre. However, I did like the OS. It still isnt an OS I would use on a daily basis but I did think it was cool. On that note, I felt like after a short bit I would be tremendously bored with it (the OS).

Anyway, this isnt about what I dont like about it, but my wife. She absoutely hated the keyboard. She found it very uncomfortable to use. Personally I think slide out keypads should be in landscape. She didn't like how slippery the phone felt. Something she couldnt get a feel for in store, but more with time and usage.

Heh. I told her to look into it more but she gave in to the hype I guess. Maybe next time she will listen to me.

Anyone else return theirs?
    06-18-09 12:30 PM
    My first blackberry device ever was the blackberry Storm.. what a mess this phone is.. i wish i would have had a different blackberry as i would have probably been more satisfied... But The Pre is a breath of fresh air... no laggy OS, no random crashes during a 911 call, with a mother holding a bloody child (4 minute reboot). I was told to NOT use the touchscreen to answer calls as the phone would not know what side is up.. As for build quality, the Storm is Solid.. as for design quality.. not to happy with that huge gap around the screen (now full of dust) trouble bubble for a screen is now showing ware and sometimes unresponsive around the edges. And the Light Bleed at the buttons on EVERY unit..

Even the Mods of those boards will admit the Phone shipped WAY to early.

So if you can understand that my first BB was a Storm.. then you can hopefully understand that i'm not happy with RIM.
    Last edited by destro23; 06-18-09 at 01:58 PM.
    06-18-09 01:55 PM
    My first blackberry device ever was the blackberry Storm.. what a mess this phone is.. i wish i would have had a different blackberry as i would have probably been more satisfied... But The Pre is a breath of fresh air... no laggy OS, no random crashes during a 911 call, with a mother holding a bloody child (4 minute reboot). I was told to NOT use the touchscreen to answer calls as the phone would not know what side is up.. As for build quality, the Storm is Solid.. as for design quality.. not to happy with that huge gap around the screen (now full of dust) trouble bubble for a screen is now showing ware and sometimes unresponsive around the edges. And the Light Bleed at the buttons on EVERY unit..

Even the Mods of those boards will admit the Phone shipped WAY to early.

So if you can understand that my first BB was a Storm.. then you can hopefully understand that i'm not happy with RIM.
    Uh, what does that have to do with a Palm Pre?
    06-18-09 01:59 PM
    I made the switch, and don't plan on looking back. The pre doesn't feel AS solid as the Bold becuase its two pieces as opposed to one solid piece with no moving parts. Sure there are a couple of things I will miss about the BB mainly the keyboard, bbm and short cut keys. Thats about it. WebOS is a breath of fresh air unlike RIM with their minor OS updates that pretty much look and feel all the same. But competition is a good thing right.
    06-18-09 02:25 PM
    Uh, what does that have to do with a Palm Pre?
    Oh yea.. i have a Pre.. and am much more happy with the growing pains of that Phone then the Storms growing pains.

Fact is.. the Pre has shipped out of the Box with MUCH less issues then the Storm.

Again my disclaimer is the Storm is my First BB.
    06-18-09 02:32 PM
    For some reason I never liked palm that's why I stuck with my BlackBerry its solid to me...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-09 02:34 PM
    How do you think you would feel if the Storm was your first blackberry?
    06-18-09 02:52 PM
    my brothers first BB is a storm and he is still happy with it!!
    06-18-09 02:59 PM
    I'm not planning on returning mine.... I don't think it feels cheap, and I can type better on it than I can on a Curve or the Storm.

Its odd that she didn't get to take it out of the box until she got home.... seeing as the stores create the Palm profile and show you how to work everything before you walk out with it.....
    06-18-09 03:09 PM
    I work with 3 new blackberry users... 2 of which always cursed about how much they hated the storm. I kept telling them to upgrade to one of the leaked OS's but they were to scared to. As soon as .148 released and they installed it, their tunes totally changed. They admitted they should have upgraded sooner and they very much enjoy their Storms. Then again, they haven’t experienced any hardware issues YET.
    Another guy I work with has the Pre, looks really cool, and i do give everything the benefit of the doubt (**** I have a storm dont I? lol) but damn it really felt kinda cheap...
    06-18-09 03:16 PM
    It seems like the real gem is the OS. Ive been reading all over the intertubes about the cheapness of the build. I wont care if Verizon doesnt get the Pre, like I said the OS is the shiz.
    06-18-09 03:22 PM
    I went away from Blackberry once, it was a mistake and im glad I came back!
    06-18-09 03:28 PM
    I think it would depend what I was using my phone for. The Storm, to me at least, seems like a mix of toy and tool. IMO the iPhone is more toy than it is tool where as BB's are generally more tool than toy - with the Storm being a mix of both.

Now to answer your question, before my first BB (A Pearl>8830>Storm) I had a Motorola Q. So if I'd gone straight from the Q to the Storm I would've been absolutely elated. The Q was a horrendous piece of garabge. You think the battery life is bad on a Storm? - try using a Q. It gets less than half the battery life without providing any useful purpose. Email is slow, OS makes no sense and EVERYTHING you do drains battery life.
    06-18-09 03:33 PM
    after playing with a store unit and my brothers Pre, it does NOT feel cheap sorry to tell ya. just my 2 cents
    06-18-09 11:18 PM
    I don't get why people act like someone kicked their dog and stole their lucky penny when another person doesn't like the phone they choose... Its effin we todd ed..

06-19-09 02:29 PM
    i played with the palm pre yesterday.. its really cool, i had a treo 650 for ever and this is the iphone competition with a keyboard
    06-19-09 03:57 PM

Now to answer your question, before my first BB (A Pearl>8830>Storm) I had a Motorola Q. So if I'd gone straight from the Q to the Storm I would've been absolutely elated. The Q was a horrendous piece of garabge. You think the battery life is bad on a Storm? - try using a Q. It gets less than half the battery life without providing any useful purpose. Email is slow, OS makes no sense and EVERYTHING you do drains battery life.

Are you for real? Everything you do on the phone actually drains the battery? That is crazy!!
    06-19-09 05:26 PM
    My first BB _is_ a Storm ... too bad about your experience, mine is just fine, thank you.

My device has basically taken the place of a laptop for field work, and it will also tether the laptop when needed, which I don't believe the pre will do.

My wife, locked into Sprint for the time being, likes my Storm so much that she even tried the Instinct, but returned it in less than a week. She now has an 8330, but is waiting to try the Pre when the local Sprint restocks just to have a similar experience.

Problem is, I'm afraid she may be becoming a crackberry addicit!

I hope the pre works for her ... our needs are different, so it's useless to argue the merits of one over the other. We'll see.
    06-19-09 06:04 PM
    I wish the Storm was my first Blackberry, because I might not have realized so quickly how bad a phone the Storm really was. Sadly this was not the case, and the whole situation left me with such a bad taste in my mouth that I don't trust the RIM brand as much as I used to. Such a disappointment.
    06-20-09 08:18 AM
    Hey Pre users. Forward me a text message.
    06-20-09 09:21 AM
    Hey Pre users. Forward me a text message.
    Hey storm user, connect to a wifi network, type a long message with no lag, hold the phone between your shoulder and face while on a call without an app to lock the screen, have 20 apps run with no lag, open multiple web browsers, play me a clear youtube video, get 2 OS uodates in the first two weeks of release, shall I go on?
    06-20-09 12:32 PM
    Hey Pre owners...does your pre dial numbers and call people? Hmm huh hmm?

Yay for peeing contests over phones!

06-20-09 07:03 PM
    My first BB was the Storm and I LOVE it. I would really like to try some of RIM's other phones but I am not sure I will be able to handle the smaller screen. Although, I will be very tempted when the Tour comes out.

I have never been impressed with anything that Palm has made, except for the very first Pilots.
    06-20-09 07:14 PM
    Hey Pre owners...does your pre dial numbers and call people? Hmm huh hmm?

Yay for peeing contests over phones!

Wait a minute, we can call people?
    06-20-09 07:22 PM
    yeah the pre felt very cheap and i definitely could not use the keyboard its crazy small and uncomfortable so can't get that plus its on sprint but the curve feels cheap to me too.
    06-20-09 07:51 PM
81 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD