So, here's my story. Four days ago I got a Palm Pre from Sprint. I have just installed the 1.0.3 update. Here are my problems with it. Number one, the battery drains extremely quickly even when I use Palm's suggestions for it. Number two, it does not have the nice apps like a Blackberry does. I know they have the App Catalog but it only has thirty apps. I am aware that it has only been out for about a week but I thought it was an easy operating system to develop for. My third problem is that the battery gets extremely hot when using the EVDO and 1X network. It is much hotter than my friends Blackberries. Otherwise, it is a very nice phone. Will these problems be addressed? I am contemplating the Tour. As I am typing the battery does seem to be better. Thanks for the suggestions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-09 09:23 AM
    Just compare a blackberry & pre, i don't see what's so hard about that. Does the pre offer more than a blackberry? I think the pre is cool device and all but i don't think it can out perform a blackberry. I almost made the the switch til i actually played with one and found it wasn't for me.
    06-20-09 11:48 AM
    Four days and ready to throw in the towel? To be honest I was never a smartphone person till I actually owned the blackberry. My wife loves her apple but the reality is that the BB is by far the best phone I have ever owned.
    06-20-09 11:54 AM
    I was tempted by the pre, but I kept a picture of the Tour nearby.
    What is Sprints "grace" policy? If it's 30 days might as well take advantage of it. By then the tour should almost be out and you can make an informed decision.

But, My choice is the Tour. It looks amazing, the new 5.0 operating systems finally brings threaded sms. Email push is amazing, great applications and to top it off the 3.2 MP camera, the spacious keyboard and good candybar shape.

uhh.. need to change my pants
    06-20-09 11:56 AM
    I replaced my Storm with the Pre and it's been very smooth so far. First day after the 1.03 update and phone is now at 35% after being off the charger since around 8AM (it's almost 11PM now). I've made several calls, been out most of the day, and used the GPS to and from my afternoon destination (about a 40 mile trip each way). The update also fixed my EAS issue, and I was able to add my work email and calendar without jumping through hoops like before.

This phone is easily more productive for me than my Storm ever was.
    06-20-09 09:44 PM
    Trade it in for BB, if you have read any of the reviews on CB or anywhere else on the web it is that the pre is just another toy.

It doesn't hurt just holding on to the thing for your 30 day grace period and then trading it in for the Tour, which looks to be an great phone.
    06-21-09 12:24 AM
    I love my Curve but the Pre is definitely slicker. My bro has the pre and its a **** of a device. The multitasking is amazing and browsing is orgasmic. I'm very content with my curve but I was due for upgrade I would definitel consider the Pre even if the tour was due to come out shortly after

06-21-09 11:48 AM
    I considered switching over to the Pre as well, but I don't know how I feel about it now. From other users' complains between the battery drain and the device running hot, I think I'll stick with my curve. Besides, I know the ins and outs of the blackberry. I like to know how to fix something if it breaks.
    06-21-09 12:24 PM
    I think that 4 days is a bit early to give up on any smartphone. At least in my experience, they take a bit to get used to, especially if you're switching from BB to Palm, etc.

But, as a former Palm user gone Blackberry, I would say to get the Tour if you can! It looks awesome.
    06-21-09 12:34 PM
    I went in and took a look at the Pre. It was cute. The OS is nice, but the keyboard alone is a deal breaker. Phone was hard to type on, and as much as I KEYBOARD, not gonna work.

Hello, Tour!

06-21-09 12:48 PM
    Go grab an iPhone 3GS
    06-21-09 02:22 PM
    The SDK has NOT been released to the public. The release will NOT happen until the END of Summer. When this happens the app catalog will explode with hundreds if not thousands of apps. Just wait it out, the only reason I picked the Blackberry over the Pre is that I couldn't wait until the end of the summer for apps like Slacker, which might never be released for the Pre.

Also they are talking about a virtual keyboard as an option for the times when you don't want to slide the keyboard open. The device is only 1.03 just wait until those major updates to something like 2.00 which will come because the OS will be used on other devices. Battery life will be improved with those updates.

Check out the latest Pre news at precentral.net
    Last edited by mfeigley; 06-21-09 at 02:43 PM.
    06-21-09 02:40 PM
    being a long time palm user (and still using my palm tx today!) i eagerly waited to try out the pre. so much so that i haven't even been on the cb forums for a while.

well, after a few days with the pre i've decided to return it and stick with the blackberry. the pre has an excellent os, which has a very promising future in it's own right. but as an overall package (hardware and all the little things a seasoned blackberry user might take for granted) the pre isn't a good fit for me right now. i use my bb as a business device first and personal device second, but it's pretty closely split.

things i liked about the pre:
    -great looking responsive screen
    -gui
    -switching between running apps fun/pleasure
    -8 gb onboard shared memory ftw
    -gps/3g/wifi in one package
    -camera takes fast pics
    -on screen notifications
    -out of the box stability. made the storm release look like a april fool's joke.
    -sprint pricing plan is superior to vzw
    -touchstone.
    -webos is the best os out right now and was much snappier/responsive than .148 on my storm.
    -

things i didn't like:
    -slider keyboard-hoped i could learn to like it but no dice. the standard of a physical keyboard was set too high with the curve plus it slides out the wrong way.
    -very limited landscape use which is further hindered by the portrait only slider.
    -no notification led-small thing magnified to a big issue when you're used to one
    -no sd card support. 8gb is not enough when i have 12 gb worth of media on my 16 gb card. although i pared it down to below 8, i didn't have much left afterwards and then i thought about space for apps...
    -no bes
    -battery life is not that good yet (at least it can be swapped out though)
    -questionable build quality. not reassuring that it will stand up to as much abuse as i've put all of my bb's through.

there are more likes/dislikes but these are the ones off the top that mattered to me. if i hadn't been a blackberry user for so long some of these dislikes may not have mattered, but i've been spoiled. palm has a good thing going with the pre though and if they survive long enough to release an improved version i'm sure i'll be back. definitely watching them closely. all of that said, the storm even with it's flaws meets might needs. albeit with much less flair.
    06-21-09 03:15 PM
    well, after a few days with the pre i've decided to return it and stick with the blackberry. the pre has an excellent os, which has a very promising future in it's own right. but as an overall package (hardware and all the little things a seasoned blackberry user might take for granted) the pre isn't a good fit for me right now. i use my bb as a business device first and personal device second, but it's pretty closely split.
    Food for thought ... thanks.
    06-21-09 04:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD