so I got a chance to play with the new Palm Pre everyones been talking about latly how this is going to be the best smart phone to date thats out right now... blah blah blah.... to my amazment a sprint store which is connected to a local mall here had a Palm Pre on display advertising it for this saturdays launch.
    First thing I thought of when I saw the phone was how cheap it looked. For people that have the BB storm right now as I do, if you think its a pain in the **** trying to type on the storm, wait till you type on the Pre. That fold out keyboard is junk and typing is extreamly hard to do on it, I kept hitting all kinds of buttons I was not trying to hit, way to cramped up and did not feel right in the hands trying to type on it. Just to bulky of a phone and very cheep feeling and I wasn't to impressed about it. I really don't know what the big hype is about this phone?? maybe someone can tell me what they like about it?
    After playing with the Palm Pre I went to the blackberry section and messed around on the blackberrys they had on display. They seem so top notch though compared to the Palm Pre, easy to use and of course the keyboards on the BB's are easy to type on. I really believe that when the Tour comes out it will be so much better then this Palm Pre that everyone is claiming to be the best smart phone on the market right now. Maybe I'm baised because I already own a BB, but BB's to me anyway you can get any better then them. what do you guys think?
    06-03-09 12:41 PM
    The major complaints I have heard so far go along with what you said. Keyboard is very small and cramped, and the overall feel of the hardware is cheap. However, many people love the screen and the OS, which has tons of potential. If Palm re-did the hardware, I think they would have a real winner on their hands.
    06-03-09 12:45 PM
    I moved this to Other Smart Phones, but I think it's an interesting debate. We'll know a lot more on Sat
    06-03-09 12:56 PM
    they poured everything they had into this phone. they need to pray it takes off.
    06-03-09 12:56 PM
    Think the future WebOS phones have a lot more potential to take off than the Pre... Lets just say I wouldn't want to adopt this phone because it's not like you can update it down the road with new firmware to fix hardware issues.

I have no idea why they made so many dumb decisions hardware wise.
    06-03-09 12:59 PM
    its already been said the keyboard isnt stellar, and the phone has too much of a plastic feel to it. The phones software is definately the selling point here, not the physical attributes of the phone
    06-03-09 01:01 PM
    Which doesn't make any sense because it will make or break Palm.

If I was in that kind of trouble I'd go for both, not one or the other.
    06-03-09 01:05 PM
    Palm has some of the worst keyboards I've seen in any device. Why the *!':*!# would you introduce a supposed revolutionary OS in a piece of junk form, der.

That's like dropping a Hemi into a Yugo. Sounds good, but put it in gear and watch the parts fly!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-09 01:15 PM
    G1 kinda made the same mistake, although I think this hardware is significantly worse than the G1...
    06-03-09 01:16 PM
    Yes, papped, I agree, the G1 has the feel of a lead tinkertoy.

06-03-09 01:23 PM
    I got a chance to play with it last weekend and was all set after about two minutes. Keyboard is crap and the OS isn't nearly as quick and intuituve as they claim.

06-03-09 01:32 PM
    I got a chance to play with it last weekend and was all set after about two minutes. Keyboard is crap and the OS isn't nearly as quick and intuituve as they claim.

The Palm Pre Phone is corrupted. Palm and Sprint will be catapulted into bankruptcy.
    06-03-09 04:20 PM
    How does the keyboard compare to the bb pearl?

06-03-09 06:07 PM
    my treo had the best keyboard i could type perfectly one handed, i had a curve it felt really cheap but i think this keyboard is the same as the treo pro and i never played with that so i don't know. The pre does look cheap but os is fresh something the blackberry desperately needs.
    06-03-09 06:53 PM
    Yeah, I got to play with a Pre for a little bit. It really does feel like a toy, and the keyboard is atrocious.

Now, mind you, we're all spoiled by BlackBerry keyboards - the unwashed masses may not find the Pre keyboard that bad.
    06-03-09 07:16 PM
    LMAO y'all really think 2 minutes of messing with it is an actual review? I think some of y'all biased emotions wouldn't let you enjoy the phone. And that's exactly what it is: a phone. Some of you act like you got to devote your life to RIM

06-04-09 07:07 AM
    Palm has some of the worst keyboards I've seen in any device. Why the *!':*!# would you introduce a supposed revolutionary OS in a piece of junk form, der.

That's like dropping a Hemi into a Yugo. Sounds good, but put it in gear and watch the parts fly!

too funny!!!!!!!!!
    06-04-09 08:41 AM
    my treo had the best keyboard i could type perfectly one handed, i had a curve it felt really cheap but i think this keyboard is the same as the treo pro and i never played with that so i don't know. The pre does look cheap but os is fresh something the blackberry desperately needs.
    This right here is the truth. MY Treo had the best keyboard I have ever used. When I got my Curve, I was very disappointed with the build quality.

All the BB fanbois need to really get off their high horses, RIM has built many cheap feeling BBs (Storm & Curve).
    06-04-09 08:47 AM
    This right here is the truth. MY Treo had the best keyboard I have ever used. When I got my Curve, I was very disappointed with the build quality.

All the BB fanbois need to really get off their high horses, RIM has built many cheap feeling BBs (Storm & Curve).
    I agree here as well. The Curve does indeed feel toyish, so on that account BB vs. Palm, it's a wash IMO. I would like to get a chance to play with a Pre before deciding if it's good or not. At least Palm has come up with a new, fresh OS, and no one can deny that RIM's OS is long in the tooth. Besides, it's only competition from iPhone & Web OS & Android, that forces companies like RIM to innovate. In the end, consumers, even Blackberry owners, stand to benefit from Palm's device.
    06-04-09 11:09 AM

You should lay of whatever it is you are smoking. Their devices are very solid. There is nothing cheap looking or feeling about them.

I do ask, why if your Curve is so terrible build quality do you keep it?
    06-04-09 11:22 AM
    palm is great and i played with the pre last nite o man it is pretty click i just called and i am getting mine free thank you sprint
    06-04-09 11:30 AM
    You should lay of whatever it is you are smoking. Their devices are very solid. There is nothing cheap looking or feeling about them.
    Agree ... just spent a month helping wife pick out a smart phone and, having had the Storm for a few months, was always disappointed in the cheap feel of the other smart phones on the market. The Storm just has a solid, quality heft to it that was felt in no other phone tried, including the iPhone, which reminded me too much of an Instinct.

She finally spent a week each with an Instinct and an 8330, and has settled on the Curve for the time being, but has remarked that it does feels like it has more plastic in it than my phone.

She intends to try the pre when it hits ... and I'm looking forward to to that because I will get a chance to see how it stacks up to a BB.
    06-04-09 01:23 PM
    LMAO y'all really think 2 minutes of messing with it is an actual review? I think some of y'all biased emotions wouldn't let you enjoy the phone. And that's exactly what it is: a phone. Some of you act like you got to devote your life to RIM

Good post and I agree.
    06-04-09 03:08 PM
    BB fanboys giving reviews of other devices.......

classic : )
    06-04-09 03:43 PM

I do ask, why if your Curve is so terrible build quality do you keep it?
    Work retired all the Treos. A shame really, it was my favorite phone. It's funny, though... right next to the big box of old Treos lays a box full of used Storms which nobody wants.

I love that nobody can tell BB fanbois that their devices aren't all that. Because, honestly... they're not.
    06-04-09 05:40 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD