01-04-14 01:27 AM
33 12
tools
    $500 USD for a working example BB10 application that uses TDP. Can you or your team do it?

I can't seem to find out if there's any way for developers outside BB to use TDP. So, I'm putting some money up to try and incent some activity. Much of the following text is from a previous post, but felt that it might not attract attention burried in that post, so I'm calling it out here separately.

I am wondering if TDP is a differentiator or even game changer for BB10. Not being a developer much anymore, I want to start with knowing if TDP is even usable by developers outside of BB. If so, I would be willing to put up at least $500 USD (maybe more) to award a developer or team to build even a simple app, and make the code available as an example to other developers.

I'm thinking of a camera app, where, after pairing / connecting (maybe WiFi Direct? Or even just on the same network) the camera app on one phone now sees the camera(s) on the other phone, and can take a picture from that camera.

It might be that this is too hard for some reason, or if there's any other app idea using TDP, let me know. It might be that TDP is too low level, and maybe some kind of infrastructure layer is required even before app dev could happen.

I'm serious about the $500. Let me know if you know if TDP is even possible, or are interested. My twitter handle (bizdudePB), or email me at nr_in_calgary@yahoo.ca

Let's try to work together and see if we can find a new great thing with BB10. I would love to see this become a team effort to create something new, and launch so new development possibilities.
    12-17-13 12:28 PM
    Is there any thing in the SDK for creating a secure link with another device? If so, then probably.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 01:18 PM
    12-20-13 01:20 PM
    $500 USD for a working example BB10 application that uses TDP. Can you or your team do it?

I can't seem to find out if there's any way for developers outside BB to use TDP. So, I'm putting some money up to try and incent some activity. Much of the following text is from a previous post, but felt that it might not attract attention burried in that post, so I'm calling it out here separately.

I am wondering if TDP is a differentiator or even game changer for BB10. Not being a developer much anymore, I want to start with knowing if TDP is even usable by developers outside of BB. If so, I would be willing to put up at least $500 USD (maybe more) to award a developer or team to build even a simple app, and make the code available as an example to other developers.

I'm thinking of a camera app, where, after pairing / connecting (maybe WiFi Direct? Or even just on the same network) the camera app on one phone now sees the camera(s) on the other phone, and can take a picture from that camera.

It might be that this is too hard for some reason, or if there's any other app idea using TDP, let me know. It might be that TDP is too low level, and maybe some kind of infrastructure layer is required even before app dev could happen.

I'm serious about the $500. Let me know if you know if TDP is even possible, or are interested. My twitter handle (bizdudePB), or email me at nr_in_calgary@yahoo.ca

Let's try to work together and see if we can find a new great thing with BB10. I would love to see this become a team effort to create something new, and launch so new development possibilities.
    Your best bet would be to get in touch with developers on Blackberry's website. There are people there who could surely answer any questions you might have. Might as well go direct to the source!

The Blackberry website could use some simplification, however, I think I've located the important bits to steer you in the right direction. Here's the BB10 Native Development Support Forum. And on the Native SDK Development blog I found this twitter address. That might be a better bet.

Also, a QNX Software Developer's forum can be found here. There is also a QNX forum right on the QNX website here, but you have to sign in to access it. This is the email address to contact QNX Services/Technical Support, who could probably point you in the right direction or at least give you some advice.

Other than that, not sure what I can do to help. I haven't done any programming in 17 years and was never a fan of object-oriented (or Windows) programming to begin with, so I'm definitely no help beyond what I've already done, lol. I'm more from the old school.. Assembly, C, Fortran, Cobol...
    Last edited by BennyX; 12-20-13 at 04:33 PM.
    12-20-13 03:51 PM
    Unless the device has radar, you won't be determining distance. You assume they have generic front ends, when they have wifi and bluetooth in a SoC. Neither are intended to determine distance. Neither can easily determine distance with accuracy. You are talking speeds of light vs device processing time.

I didn't say it can be done without camera. That's my point. You don't understand how tricky this is.
    OK... well, getting closer to what we were talking about, then.. there's this:

Blinkendroid for Android:

App is here. Code is available at the Google repository here.

The Blinkendroid developers also make use of sound sensing: vibration from one device can trigger other devices sonically.

or a video demoing the same kind of thing for Windows Phone:

It isn't *exactly* the same as what TAT was demoing, but close enough. From what I saw in the demos, the devices can't be moved around and have the image displayed follow accordingly. That could be fixed, though. In both cases, the devices communicate with one device acting as central 'server'. That server could also be tracker. Once the position of each device is registered during an 'initialization/calibration' phase, it's a matter of each device relaying changes in position that they sense with their onboard sensors back to the server, which adjusts the image/coordinates the whole mess accordingly.
    12-27-13 01:04 PM
    OK... well, getting closer to what we were talking about, then.. there's this:

Blinkendroid for Android:

App is here. Code is available at the Google repository here.

The Blinkendroid developers also make use of sound sensing: vibration from one device can trigger other devices sonically.

or a video demoing the same kind of thing for Windows Phone:

It isn't *exactly* the same as what TAT was demoing, but close enough. From what I saw in the demos, the devices can't be moved around and have the image displayed follow accordingly. That could be fixed, though. In both cases, the devices communicate with one device acting as central 'server'. That server could also be tracker. Once the position of each device is registered during an 'initialization/calibration' phase, it's a matter of each device relaying changes in position that they sense with their onboard sensors back to the server, which adjusts the image/coordinates the whole mess accordingly.
    It's not the same and not as clever. You insulted them and all my point was, was that the way Tat did it was very smart and clever and the best way to do what THEY DID. You do not need to keep trying to come up with other teams doing other things to downplay Tat's talent.

Maybe your issue is that you were watching the wrong demo's so you're not talking about what I was. The Tat playbook demo moved the playbooks around and could sense when the surrounding playbooks were moved so that 'stuff' could happen like document sharing (sense and adapt was the theme). Much cooler than the grid display from blinkendroid.
    12-27-13 08:56 PM
    It's not the same and not as clever. You insulted them and all my point was, was that the way Tat did it was very smart and clever and the best way to do what THEY DID. You do not need to keep trying to come up with other teams doing other things to downplay Tat's talent.

Maybe your issue is that you were watching the wrong demo's so you're not talking about what I was. The Tat playbook demo moved the playbooks around and could sense when the surrounding playbooks were moved so that 'stuff' could happen like document sharing (sense and adapt was the theme). Much cooler than the grid display from blinkendroid.
    I'm aware of what the Tat demo showed. A neat tech demo, certainly. Sensing position of objects with a camera has been going on for decades. It would be impressive if one could achieve the same thing shown in the TAT demo, but without use of a camera for position sensing.

I also did say that the Blinkendroid demo wasn't the same as the Tat demo. Now you are the one insulting and downplaying a group's talent simply because you deem it 'not as cool, smart or clever' as another group's talent. They are both interesting tech demos.

I've already provided theories as to how Tat's demo could be achieved without the use of a camera. You even admitted it's possible to do. You're merely guilty of the same thing you accused me of: poo-pooing ideas. At least I've tried to provide some ideas.. the most you've done is shoot them all down without providing any of your own.

How do you know the way Tat accomplished the demo was the *best way* to do what they did? That's merely conjecture, and you've in no way explained your opinion. It's evident that you have no better idea how to accomplish the demo without the use of a camera than I do (and perhaps even less of an idea being that the best you can come up with is that 'it's hard!'), so I think at this point the most we can agree on is that we've exhausted this discussion.

*upon further google-fu, it seems there are solutions that can achieve positional sensing within 5 mm accuracy. Unfortunately, the Playbook is not equipped with the improved chips that could provide such accuracy. More recent Android devices have begun to incorporate such capability. This is not to say that all is lost, however. There's more than one way to skin a cat. I don't feel like perusing the content that my plentitude of bookmarks would provide me at this time in this subject matter. Maybe later. Or not...
    Last edited by BennyX; 12-28-13 at 09:41 PM.
    12-28-13 05:06 PM
    Your best bet would be to get in touch with developers on Blackberry's website. There are people there who could surely answer any questions you might have. Might as well go direct to the source!

The Blackberry website could use some simplification, however, I think I've located the important bits to steer you in the right direction. Here's the BB10 Native Development Support Forum. And on the Native SDK Development blog I found this twitter address. That might be a better bet.

Also, a QNX Software Developer's forum can be found here. There is also a QNX forum right on the QNX website here, but you have to sign in to access it. This is the email address to contact QNX Services/Technical Support, who could probably point you in the right direction or at least give you some advice.

Other than that, not sure what I can do to help. I haven't done any programming in 17 years and was never a fan of object-oriented (or Windows) programming to begin with, so I'm definitely no help beyond what I've already done, lol. I'm more from the old school.. Assembly, C, Fortran, Cobol...
    Thanks. I just posted a version of this question in the Native Developers site: Transparent Distributed Processing (QNX's TDP) App... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    01-04-14 01:27 AM
33 12