I don't know why it isn't that widely known, but Mosh (mobile shell) is the most insanely awesome things to happen to remote-command-line (ssh) users in a long time. It makes everything much faster, and you can break your network connection and re-connect and the connection is back up in like a second.

The great thing is that it in part runs alongside ssh, using the same authentication infrastructure etc. You install a server-side program (trivial on most platforms - apt-get etc), and then run "mosh" instead of "ssh" on the client. You really need to install and use it to see how great it is. And it would be esp. perfect for BB10 devices with a keyboard (Q10, soon A10) as they allow what-you-type, not what-autocorrect-thinks-you-mean, which is essential for remote admin of machines.

To paraphrase the website: "Mosh is a remote terminal application that allows roaming, supports intermittent connectivity, and provides intelligent local echo and line editing of user keystrokes (= super-fast local response time). Mosh is a replacement for SSH. It's more robust and responsive, especially over Wi-Fi, cellular, and long-distance links. Mosh is free software, available for GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, Mac OS X, and Android."

It could be a port from Android (and IMHO it would make sense to start there), but of course a Cascades front end would be awesome. This actually might be easier for BlackBerry than Android, as it'd be hard to avoid using C code, and I think BlackBerry 10 devices are all the same architecture / use the same binaries.

In my experience the mosh community is super-nice and loves to work with people.

Main website: Mosh: the mobile shell
    Android port: Mosh for (irssi)ConnectBot

Note that the Android port isn't in the Google Play market, so BlackBerry could be the first mobile platform with a super-easy-to-install version :-)

Mosh for Android is based on irssi connectbot, the code to which is here: https://github.com/irssiconnectbot/irssiconnectbot

It looks like two people already have (original, not irssi as far as I can tell quickly) connectbot ports for BB10:
    * ConnectBot SSH By SWD Embedded Systems Ltd. BlackBerry World - ConnectBot SSH
    * BSSH Free - SSH (Secure Shell) Client By Iordan Iordanov BlackBerry World - BSSH Free - SSH (Secure Shell) Client

I'll go point them at this thread :-)
    Maksim Bunkow likes this.
    07-08-13 09:25 AM
    Open source, in Github I'll pass this on to someone who knows more than me to see what they think lol
    07-12-13 11:24 PM