ok, let's talk absurdly, and let's forget about OM once and for all ... I was thinking the other day what would happen if Blackberry itself put on the market for the anniversary of its first smartphone, for example the Blackberry 850, therefore about after 20/25 years, a phone with low-level features, with an average processor, with the keyboard of the key2, with only the updates of the OS (android 12) and some improvements of the various Blackberry apps and of course the 5g. Perhaps the ideal would be Cylance's antivirus already installed and free for those who purchase the new phone. I am not interested in high-end features and magnificent technical specifications, but only a physical keyboard, the 5g and the update of the various blackberry apps, a budget phone! I wouldn't be interested in a phone with a state-of-the-art camera or lightning-fast processors, but an honest, work-oriented phone and the price could be $ 350 / $ 400 maximum. Blackberry could put on the market only 1 million or less devices in limited edition and see what happens. Ok, you will tell me that Blackberry has left the smartphone market. But it would only be for the anniversary of the first phone released, just a gift for its diehard fans. What do you think? is it economically viable for blackberry? I repeat a blackberry budget phone, nothing more ... I would buy it immediately with an updated operating system, a pkb and 5g.
    oo_se7en likes this.
    09-16-21 07:43 AM
    ok, let's talk absurdly, and let's forget about OM once and for all ... I was thinking the other day what would happen if Blackberry itself put on the market for the anniversary of its first smartphone, for example the Blackberry 850, therefore about after 20/25 years, a phone with low-level features, with an average processor, with the keyboard of the key2, with only the updates of the OS (android 12) and some improvements of the various Blackberry apps and of course the 5g. Perhaps the ideal would be Cylance's antivirus already installed and free for those who purchase the new phone. I am not interested in high-end features and magnificent technical specifications, but only a physical keyboard, the 5g and the update of the various blackberry apps, a budget phone! I wouldn't be interested in a phone with a state-of-the-art camera or lightning-fast processors, but an honest, work-oriented phone and the price could be $ 350 / $ 400 maximum. Blackberry could put on the market only 1 million or less devices in limited edition and see what happens. Ok, you will tell me that Blackberry has left the smartphone market. But it would only be for the anniversary of the first phone released, just a gift for its diehard fans. What do you think? is it economically viable for blackberry? I repeat a blackberry budget phone, nothing more ... I would buy it immediately with an updated operating system, a pkb and 5g.
    Why? What have diehard fans done for them?

In the end BlackBerry doesn't do that kind of stuff anymore... they don't have designers and engineers. They are selling off most their hardware patents - in the finial stages. And the amount of software development work needed to revamp the HUB Suite and move up to Android 12... well that's beyond their current capabilities. Not worth rebuilding to do a $400 phone for a few thousand fans.... that would not make them any profit.
    Trouveur likes this.
    09-16-21 07:58 AM
    First, if they did something like that, it would result in a massive loss, with no perceptible benefits for the company.

Second as it was said before me, what they owe to "fans"? This is not a band reassembling to do a very last concert for old times sake.
    And why only Blackberry has to issue a very last tribute handset? What about LG? Nokia? (the original one). Ericsson?

Third, People seem to forget that Blackberry Ltd always was and still is, a 100 percent profit oriented business enterprise, not a nonprofit, a social cause, let alone a religion (even if some people treat it as such).

Fourth, this is not Apple who could **** away billions of dollars in any moment without any dent in its finances (it's another question that they will not do it)
    Blackberry of now is a relatively small struggling company which almost collapsed in 2013 and may end up the same way: broken up and sold in pieces.
    Definitely not an entity able to engage in expensive vanity projects like said phone.
    JeepBB and oo_se7en like this.
    09-16-21 08:17 AM
    ok..not Blackberry..but the above strategy with a BlackBerry budget phone, perhaps, could be OM's strategy instead of trying to build a high end phone without resources and capabilities.
    09-16-21 08:18 AM
    ok..not Blackberry..but the above strategy with a BlackBerry budget phone, perhaps, could be OM's strategy instead of trying to build a high end phone without resources and capabilities.
    The phone itself is the least of OM's problems.

Finding a business model that actually works after half a dozen failed attempts is key.

Designing an "invincible" device when Samsung and Google have already out-spent them by hundreds of $millions or $billions developing and certifying Knox and Titan M/M2.

Building carrier partnerships and paying them loads of money to get the device whitelisted for VoLTE when many other entrants haven't been able to do it.

The list goes on and on.
    Laura Knotek and pdr733 like this.
    09-16-21 08:26 AM
    Problem is the cost of staring up a company and creating custom software... just isn't cheap.

Unihertz is doing what they are doing, on the "side" as it were.... and they could be getting funds elsewhere too. If OM did a Pocket and offer two years of support.... they'd have to charge double what Unihertz is doing.

I hoped that someone would do a KaiOS feature phone with a PKB... something a little retro. KaiOS bridges the gap between feature phone and smartphone, but would cover what most PKB users want. Phone, Email, Text... and Browser and few other apps.

If a Flip Phone or CandyBar still exists in Nokia's line up... why not:

Would it be so absurd....?-nokiax5.jpg
    Would it be so absurd....?-5fa10cb088b35fefc1934fc1-large.jpg
    Would it be so absurd....?-images.jpg

My guess is their research and marketing doesn't support what we think....
    Laura Knotek, 3800, dmlis and 1 others like this.
    09-16-21 08:33 AM
    Would it be so absurd...?
    Yes. Yes it would.
    09-16-21 09:06 AM
    in my opinion a new blackberry with low end specs, a decorous screen and no other technological improvements, except for a little update in the hub suite, a solid pkb and 5g should be a strategy for any company interest in buying a BlackBerry license. a sort of titan pocket with 5g..
    09-16-21 11:51 AM
    in my opinion a new blackberry with low end specs, a decorous screen and no other technological improvements, except for a little update in the hub suite, a solid pkb and 5g should be a strategy for any company interest in buying a BlackBerry license. a sort of titan pocket with 5g..
    So, a KEY² LE with 5G?

How'd that work the first time around?
    John Albert and Trouveur like this.
    09-16-21 01:39 PM
    So, a KEY² LE with 5G?

How'd that work the first time around?
    Basically, yes.

A key2 le with 8gb ram, an average processor, 5g, pkb, android 11 upgradeable to 12. Stop . I would buy this device spending up to 450 euro.
    johnsliderbb likes this.
    09-16-21 01:44 PM
    Basically, yes.

A key2 le with 8gb ram, an average processor, 5g, pkb, android 11 upgradeable to 12. Stop . I would buy this device spending up to 450 euro.
    Well, no one bought it for $399 US.

And even the might of TCL only managed to get Verizon on-board.
    Trouveur likes this.
    09-16-21 01:45 PM
    Well, no one bought it for $399 US.
    I know but for a low end specs device with 5g and pkb, I would spend up to 700 euro... writing on glass gives me nausea...I'm not kidding..
    Nausea not in the sense that it bothers me to write on glass but using a vkb I just feel like I'm sailing during a storm
    Midnightflyer likes this.
    09-16-21 01:51 PM
    I know
    Well, there we are.
    09-16-21 01:55 PM
    ok, let's talk absurdly, and let's forget about OM once and for all ... I was thinking the other day what would happen if Blackberry itself put on the market for the anniversary of its first smartphone, for example the Blackberry 850, therefore about after 20/25 years...
    Chen would be better off just hosting an anniversary bonfire and burning $100 bills. It would get to the point faster and probably be more fun.
    JeepBB and jobtate like this.
    09-16-21 02:16 PM
    Chen would be better off just hosting an anniversary bonfire and burning $100 bills. It would get to the point faster and probably be more fun.
    Ok, probably I am too romantic thinking about a device in limited edition for a 20 years anniversary..
    09-16-21 02:20 PM
    Ok, probably I am too romantic thinking about a device in limited edition for a 20 years anniversary..
    I think Chen would love for someone to do it... he just isn't going to foot the bill.

And we are talking a very expensive publicity stunt that really has nothing to do with who the company is right now. And phones aren't really something you just push out there and forget about.... some markets require two years of warranty support. And there are legislative pushes in some markets to make that include software updates and patches.

If it were easy... OM would have launched a phone a few months ago.
    09-16-21 02:46 PM
    No, you're aspirational. Which is a great thing. So am I. But some things are a bridge too far. To use another example, Louisville, KY is the spiritual home of GE Appliances. In its heyday, fridges, toasters and other home appliances with the GE monogram left Louisville in trucks in their thousands. We are literally talking thousands...every day.

Louisville is still there. The trucks have stopped coming. GE no longer makes home appliances in the United States (or anywhere) and (surprise) the GE appliance license is held by a Chinese company that GE licenses it to. I wouldn't buy a paperclip from them.

What we are proposing is like someone pitching to the GE board at Fairfield like "look, it's the 200th anniversary of GE making its first appliance. Let's make it special and just do something small, say, a 200th anniversary GE toaster. Small batch, just sell it in say, the New England area (spiritual home of the General Electric Company). We only need to fire up plant no. 17 (which has birds living in it). It'll cost us $500,000 bucks to make each toaster, and, we'll sell probably 5000 of them, but only if the price is max $150 tops."

You get the idea.
    Last edited by Ph1llip; 09-16-21 at 05:02 PM.
    09-16-21 04:41 PM
    Imagine you grew up in a 10,000 sq/ft home, and your parents used to throw lavish holiday parties when you were a kid. But you moved away from home a decade ago and haven't been back, but now you're going to go for a visit. When you tell your parents you're coming, and wouldn't it be fun to throw a nice big party like the old days, they tell you that they've moved and give you a new address, and that you can talk about it when you get there.

You show up to the new address, but it's not a house - it's an apartment building. And not a nice one. You go to the unit and find your parents living in a 300 sq. ft. studio apartment. You find out they don't own a car, and when you look in the small refrigerator, it's mostly empty, as are the cupboards. They tell you what is obvious: they've been having money problems for a while. Clearly, there's not going to be a big party - or any party.

That's what today's BB Ltd. is - a tiny fraction of who they were a decade ago, having sold off all of their buildings and the few people left working together in a small building with small budgets and worried every day if they'll have a job tomorrow. All of BB Ltd's phone-making infrastructure is long gone - the buildings, the factories, the hardware designers, the thousands of software engineers, the QA testers, the distribution staff, the support staff, the marketing staff - all long gone and mostly working for some other company for years already. They've gone from tens of thousands of employees to dozens of employees. And this company is BROKE, and barely getting by. There's not going to be a party, or a 20th Anniversary device. Heck, even the monthly birthday cake for September-born employees may put them over budget, so there's not hundreds of millions of dollars lying around to invest in the production of a device, much less the additional money required to re-establish all of the departments that would need to exist to make that happen, much less the ability to provide long-term support.
    09-16-21 07:12 PM
    A low end BlackBerry with minimal features would be ripped apart by every tech magazine and blog poster. It would do nothing but damage the BlackBerry name more then it already is. Not worth it for the few fans that are left.
    09-17-21 12:21 AM
    Imagine you grew up in a 10,000 sq/ft home, and your parents used to throw lavish holiday parties when you were a kid. But you moved away from home a decade ago and haven't been back, but now you're going to go for a visit. When you tell your parents you're coming, and wouldn't it be fun to throw a nice big party like the old days, they tell you that they've moved and give you a new address, and that you can talk about it when you get there.

You show up to the new address, but it's not a house - it's an apartment building. And not a nice one. You go to the unit and find your parents living in a 300 sq. ft. studio apartment. You find out they don't own a car, and when you look in the small refrigerator, it's mostly empty, as are the cupboards. They tell you what is obvious: they've been having money problems for a while. Clearly, there's not going to be a big party - or any party.

That's what today's BB Ltd. is - a tiny fraction of who they were a decade ago, having sold off all of their buildings and the few people left working together in a small building with small budgets and worried every day if they'll have a job tomorrow. All of BB Ltd's phone-making infrastructure is long gone - the buildings, the factories, the hardware designers, the thousands of software engineers, the QA testers, the distribution staff, the support staff, the marketing staff - all long gone and mostly working for some other company for years already. They've gone from tens of thousands of employees to dozens of employees. And this company is BROKE, and barely getting by. There's not going to be a party, or a 20th Anniversary device. Heck, even the monthly birthday cake for September-born employees may put them over budget, so there's not hundreds of millions of dollars lying around to invest in the production of a device, much less the additional money required to re-establish all of the departments that would need to exist to make that happen, much less the ability to provide long-term support.
    Ok, I got your point...you're right...I had started this thread only listening to my romantic and emotional feelings...that BlackBerry era has ended and it will never come back...
    09-17-21 01:26 AM

Very sad, but 100% truly expressed
    09-17-21 01:49 AM
    The 25th Anniversary Lenovo Thinkpad was a great product made possible by an existing top-selling product portfolio. Using the T-series as a base, releasing a machine with a one-off old school keyboard to fans was cost effective.
    BB has nothing to lean on to offer an anniversary device.
    pdr733 and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-17-21 03:28 AM
    Yes, absurd for all the reasons stated already
    09-17-21 09:58 AM
    Blackberry era has ended, ok.
    it was just a sharing of my thoughts and desires with you, guys. blackberry won't come back..and Om won't resurrect it...that's also the reason why on ebay a key2 costs from 700 to 1200 euros. key2 and key2 le are the last blackberry..
    09-17-21 12:23 PM
    It was a cool thought
    endiadi77 likes this.
    09-17-21 09:15 PM
157 123 ...