Since I am moving on from my beloved PP....cue tiny violin....is there an acceptable HUB alternative I can use on my new phone (will probably be a Microsoft Duo or Samsung Z Fold 3).

I can't imagine not having the efficiency and convenience of the HUB.
    09-20-21 06:12 PM
    Since I am moving on from my beloved PP....cue tiny violin....is there an acceptable HUB alternative I can use on my new phone (will probably be a Microsoft Duo or Samsung Z Fold 3).

yeah.....the hub
    09-20-21 06:19 PM

Just use the default Google apps. The poor old BlackBerry Suite was abandoned a couple of years back and is suffering from some compatibility and security issues.

Apart from Gmail, you could try Spark.
    Last edited by conite; 09-21-21 at 06:56 AM.
    John Albert likes this.
    09-20-21 07:20 PM
    the hub is still the best in my opinions..sure, it lacks security and improvements now..i would try blu mail..
    kvndoom likes this.
    09-21-21 06:22 AM
    BlackBerry's Hub (inbox) still works good for me on Android 10. There was some talk about people having problems with it on Android 12 Beta, but then later indication that it was now working fine again with a later Beta patch.
    3800 and Andreas Tchorsch like this.
    09-21-21 06:27 AM

Not really if you’re coming from BB10 as it lacked some features in BBAndroid or Android from the beginning and was further gimped by Android updates later on. The Google default apps, since proprietary on Android, seem to have some optimization advantages. I’d use those or the default OEM apps on a Z Fold or Z Flip since the OEM apps have been pretty well optimized as well.

If getting a Duo, I’d also consider the Microsoft apps since, again, optimization should be improved. I’d also suggest getting the Duo 2 as it’s vastly improved over the Duo which really was the first Android device from Microsoft and was quite the learning experience.
    BluePumpkinBerry likes this.
    09-21-21 08:09 AM
    the hub is still the best in my opinions..sure, it lacks security and improvements now..i would try blu mail..
    Been using BlueMail for 3 or 4 years now. It's great!
    BluePumpkinBerry likes this.
    09-21-21 09:50 AM
    Been using BlueMail for 3 or 4 years now. It's great!
    I am unfamiliar with Blu Mail. Does it incorporate your calls and texts with the emails? I like how BB Hub showed my calls, VMs, texts, and only specific email accounts in one location.
    Andreas Tchorsch likes this.
    09-21-21 12:44 PM
    I am unfamiliar with Blu Mail. Does it incorporate your calls and texts with the emails? I like how BB Hub showed my calls, VMs, texts, and only specific email accounts in one location.
    With any of these apps, you need to just download and test it out.
    09-21-21 12:46 PM
    BlackBerry's Hub (inbox) still works good for me on Android 10. There was some talk about people having problems with it on Android 12 Beta, but then later indication that it was now working fine again with a later Beta patch.
    Pardon me, but I am technologically ignorant....! Is there a way to use BB Hub on my new Android (non BB) phone? I thought the Hub was only on BB (PP for me)
    09-21-21 12:46 PM
    Pardon me, but I am technologically ignorant....! Is there a way to use BB Hub on my new Android (non BB) phone? I thought the Hub was only on BB (PP for me)
    You can download and pay for it on other devices, but it's old, has bugs, and is no longer up to current security standards.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-21-21 12:55 PM
    In my experience, using the BB Hub on Android, and I mean the Priv and the Keyone, did not resemble in the slightest the BB10 feel; and it wasn't useful at all really. I also used it on the Galaxy A52 that I had for a while, but it was exactly the same, that is, not necessary at all.
    09-21-21 01:12 PM
    In my experience, using the BB Hub on Android, and I mean the Priv and the Keyone, did not resemble in the slightest the BB10 feel; and it wasn't useful at all really. I also used it on the Galaxy A52 that I had for a while, but it was exactly the same, that is, not necessary at all.
    The way it was originally was pretty close to BB10... at close as someone with no real access to the OS can get. But it's a pale imitation to what it was back five years ago... and suffers from not being kept current with today standards.

So I have to agree, at this point there is no point in "trying" it out... even if you found it usable, it might not last much longer.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-21-21 01:35 PM
    The way it was originally was pretty close to BB10... at close as someone with no real access to the OS can get. But it's a pale imitation to what it was back five years ago... and suffers from not being kept current with today standards.

So I have to agree, at this point there is no point in "trying" it out... even if you found it usable, it might not last much longer.
    This is correct. The biggest issue was that a couple of years ago, Google changed it's policy on non-proprietary apps on Android which even on BBAndroid is technically what BlackBerry Limited is considered, a non-proprietary Android developer.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-21-21 01:42 PM
    I still use it on Samsung A21 and love it, regardless of all the negativity that others have posted. You don't have to pay for it either as from playStore, unless you want to remove the ads (which to be honest, aren't that bad and the click through never seems to work anyway so that is a plus).
    cyberdoggie, DWonder and bh7171 like this.
    09-21-21 04:04 PM
    Oh no it's just an email client. I was just praising how well it is for email.

Nothing before or since has been as good as the BB10 Hub, which really is a shame.
    bh7171 and Andreas Tchorsch like this.
    09-22-21 06:14 AM

Nothing comes close I am afraid... If you get the Duo, I have one, just use the Microsoft apps, they really can't be faulted and are optimised for the dual screens... For the Fold 3, I have one too, use the Samsung or Microsoft apps or a combination of both, all again are optimised for the Fold...
    09-22-21 07:23 AM
    My advice is if you like BB Hub, then stick to it. It's still working and functional. The only thing you'll miss out on that are kind of noticeable compared to more modern clients are thumbnail pics (if senders are in your contact list) and inline pictures if you send emails with them (they'll be included as attachments). Other than that, I agree with Spartacus that it's still VERY usable. I'm not aware of any current bugs. I've got it running on Android 7 (Priv) , 8 (Key2), 10 (Titan) and 11 (Titan Pocket) with no issues. I pay the 99c a month charge and keep it updated and I don't have weird configurations or apps on my phones. Sometimes, it's about following the basics if you want a smooth experience.
    Sporkguy3 and Midnightflyer like this.
    09-22-21 09:43 AM
    My advice is if you like BB Hub, then stick to it. It's still working and functional. The only thing you'll miss out on that are kind of noticeable compared to more modern clients are thumbnail pics (if senders are in your contact list) and inline pictures if you send emails with them (they'll be included as attachments). Other than that, I agree with Spartacus that it's still VERY usable. I'm not aware of any current bugs. I've got it running on Android 7 (Priv) , 8 (Key2), 10 (Titan) and 11 (Titan Pocket) with no issues. I pay the 99c a month charge and keep it updated and I don't have weird configurations or apps on my phones. Sometimes, it's about following the basics if you want a smooth experience.
    There is also the security issue to consider.

https://www.howtogeek.com/199804/war...tion-specific/
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-22-21 09:45 AM
    There is also the security issue to consider.

https://www.howtogeek.com/199804/war...tion-specific/
    Good point, Hub doesn't have 2FA. I use a well established email provider, and it does (I think anyway) do a good job of periodically asking me to re-authenticate by a) suspending my email account access at device level b) asking me to log on via web access or a Identity Manager Service such as Okta, then asks to me revalidate myself before it unlocks devices accessing my account. It also enforces strong password principles. Whenever the Hub presents a clock icon instead of a check mark when I send an email, it usually means that I need to unlock the account via OWA or IMS. It even displays an "As part of keeping your account secure on an ongoing basis..." preamble so I know it's time to reauthenticate.

The above is for me anyway I think sufficient for personal email clients. Of course, for work, we have a robust 2FA system that requires insertion of a CAC card, not just passwords.
    09-22-21 10:23 AM
    Good point, Hub doesn't have 2FA. I use a well established email provider, and it does (I think anyway) do a good job of periodically asking me to re-authenticate by a) suspending my email account access at device level b) asking me to log on via web access or a Identity Manager Service such as Okta, then asks to me revalidate myself before it unlocks devices accessing my account. It also enforces strong password principles. Whenever the Hub presents a clock icon instead of a check mark when I send an email, it usually means that I need to unlock the account via OWA or IMS. It even displays an "As part of keeping your account secure on an ongoing basis..." preamble so I know it's time to reauthenticate.

The above is for me anyway I think sufficient for personal email clients. Of course, for work, we have a robust 2FA system that requires insertion of a CAC card, not just passwords.
    The point is more that you have to give your provider complete unfettered access to your account, as opposed to just an authorisation token.
    09-22-21 10:25 AM
    The point is more that you have to give your provider complete unfettered access to your account, as opposed to just an authorisation token.
    (confused look). By provider, do you mean my phone carrier? Or my email provider? If the latter, yes I'm aware, but isn't the provider the certificate or token authority? They give my device a token to use, not the other way around?
    09-22-21 10:34 AM
    (confused look). By provider, do you mean my phone carrier? Or my email provider? If the latter, yes I'm aware, but isn't the provider the certificate or token authority? They give my device a token to use, not the other way around?
    With 2FA you give your email client absolutely nothing.

I guess I meant "email client provider" - ie, BlackBerry.

It's not that I don't trust them, but they have been known to be overly helpful with information requests over the years.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-22-21 10:53 AM
    Notification History on Android or NotiStar on Samsung devices is probably as close as you'll get, but it's just a searchable notification log so you'll still need a separate email app.

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-...droid-0277757/

The Outlook app does indexing on a server as opposed to on device so I personally wouldn't recommend it,

https://www.theregister.com/2015/01/...k_for_ios_app/
    09-22-21 11:48 AM
    Notification History on Android or NotiStar on Samsung devices is probably as close as you'll get, but it's just a searchable notification log so you'll still need a separate email app.

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-...droid-0277757/

The Outlook app does indexing on a server as opposed to on device so I personally wouldn't recommend it,

https://www.theregister.com/2015/01/...k_for_ios_app/
    Not sure the Outlook app works the same way on Android.... seven years later.
    rthonpm likes this.
    09-22-21 11:51 AM
80 123 ...