I wrote an email yesterday to TCL about all the current security patches which update North American key2 devices only, and I wanted to have some further information. Anyway, at the end of the email that they sent me they start talking about the future Onward device.. I found it strange that another company wrote about OM..it is like an advertisement... the email was in Italian and I have translated from google to save time..

"An update of the Android operating system to version 9 or later is not planned for smartphones manufactured by TCL Communication under the BlackBerry brand.

NOTE: Useful information: Regarding future models of Blackberry, we inform you that BlackBerry Limited may still turn to others partner. For more details on this topic, you can always open an application directly with BlackBerry Limited at the link below: https: //salesforce.services.blackberry.com/webforms/generalinquiry

OnwardMobility has announced agreements with BlackBerry and FIH Mobile Limited (HKG: 2038) , a subsidiary of Foxconn Technology Group, to deliver a new 5G BlackBerry Android smartphone with physical keyboard in the first half of 2021 in North America and Europe. Under the terms of the agreement, BlackBerry grants OnwardMobility the right to develop, engineer and bring to market a BlackBerry 5G mobile device.

Where can I get more details? Visit OnwardMobility.com. If you have a specific request, you can complete the web form at https://www.onwardmobility.com/learnmore/

Does this affect the support of my current BlackBerry device? This announcement has no effect on the support of existing BlackBerry smartphones. Customers with TCL BlackBerry branded devices will continue to find support with TCL.

Who will support this new 5G BlackBerry device? Onward Mobility will provide support for this new device.

Kind regards,

TCL Communication Technical Support
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    04-08-21 04:07 AM
    Or it's fulfilling a requirement of getting out of their contract with BlackBerry early...
    04-08-21 06:54 AM
    I do think this is interesting - thanks for sharing.
    04-08-21 12:18 PM
    I see it more as shifting responsibility (or blame) so OM takes on the requests for information on the new BlackBerry, and so TCL doesn't get accused for the things OM does or doesn't accomplish.
    04-08-21 04:16 PM
    I see it more as shifting responsibility (or blame) so OM takes on the requests for information on the new BlackBerry, and so TCL doesn't get accused for the things OM does or doesn't accomplish.
    Yeah kinda my thoughts as well
    04-08-21 05:05 PM
    Could it also be TCL not wanting to burn a bridge and leave their future possibilities open? I suspect they are learning an equally difficult economics lesson with only offering limited support to their newer slabs as well.
    04-08-21 05:46 PM
    Could it also be TCL not wanting to burn a bridge and leave their future possibilities open? I suspect they are learning an equally difficult economics lesson with only offering limited support to their newer slabs as well.
    The exit of LG from the mobile phone space is the economics lesson. We’re getting to a point of binary choices for many commodity products.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-l...-idUSKBN2BT0OI

I’m aware everyone already knows about the LG exit but some good data that does explain the commoditization of the mobile device industry.
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 04-08-21 at 09:22 PM.
    pdr733 likes this.
    04-08-21 09:07 PM
    The exit of LG from the mobile phone space is the economics lesson. We’re getting to a point of binary choices for many commodity products.

I’m aware everyone already knows about the LG exit but some good data that does explain the commoditization of the mobile device industry.
    TCL has been in the same boat as LG... Electronics company that does very well in other sectors, but just can't seem to make it work in smartphone.

Yes they should be doing more of what Samsung does.... but that means investing a lot more into the already loosing money smartphone business. Just in the hopes that might help them turn it all around.

But Nokia is using the Android One program and offering a good record on updates... and it hasn't really helped them. This is a complex business that has matured over the last decade, and lots of factors plan a part in being successful or not.
    04-09-21 12:51 PM
    Yes they should be doing more of what Samsung does....
    If a company's gonna do everything like Samsung does, why buy their product instead of the Samsung?
    anon(5597702) and bh7171 like this.
    04-09-21 02:06 PM
    If a company's gonna do everything like Samsung does, why buy their product instead of the Samsung?
    Which is why LG chose to exit mobile and others eventually will too. If the consumers don't care for various OEM nuanced features enough to support other brands you get what you get.
    04-09-21 03:59 PM
    Which is why LG chose to exit mobile and others eventually will too. If the consumers don't care for various OEM nuanced features enough to support other brands you get what you get.
    Aren't the providers really contributing to the lack of choices though? It just seems that the big 3 in the US have a massive part to play. Kinda like they don't really want much choice maybe due to problems/calls they get for support help. If they can narrow the consumer choice down to 2 products (Apple and Samsung) would they not save money in various ways? Seems the same way to a vastly smaller degree here in Canada. Gotta have someone to blame, lol. Is it solely on the consumers not choosing other brands at this point or is lack of choice in service provider shops as well?
    neoberry99 likes this.
    04-09-21 04:46 PM
    Aren't the providers really contributing to the lack of choices though? It just seems that the big 3 in the US have a massive part to play. Kinda like they don't really want much choice maybe due to problems/calls they get for support help. If they can narrow the consumer choice down to 2 products (Apple and Samsung) would they not save money in various ways? Seems the same way to a vastly smaller degree here in Canada. Gotta have someone to blame, lol. Is it solely on the consumers not choosing other brands at this point or is lack of choice in service provider shops as well?
    Carriers had so many choices that it got narrowed down. LG shows that it's not really the carriers but customers, both Individual and Enterprise that drive this. Look at the amazing features that LG put into the devices and the carriers ran tremendous promotions on LG on all three carriers but consumers stuck with their choices or switched away from LG at some point.

LG spent money and did everything right, all the carriers, advertising, quality, broad lineup, additional forms and R&D too. Selling millions every year but losing billions to accomplish? Like Microsoft could see, all customers seem to accept commoditization of the industry.
    pdr733 likes this.
    04-09-21 04:59 PM
    Carriers had so many choices that it got narrowed down. LG shows that it's not really the carriers but customers, both Individual and Enterprise that drive this. Look at the amazing features that LG put into the devices and the carriers ran tremendous promotions on LG on all three carriers but consumers stuck with their choices or switched away from LG at some point.

LG spent money and did everything right, all the carriers, advertising, quality, broad lineup, additional forms and R&D too. Selling millions every year but losing billions to accomplish? Like Microsoft could see, all customers seem to accept commoditization of the industry.
    Yeah, I guess. I'm not really aware how much LG was promoted down there. They were not really promoted much here as far as I'm aware and not really given much space imo but I guess it is what it is. Sad, but inevitable I guess. Maybe Sony next, who knows????
    04-09-21 05:39 PM
    At least they're admitting that they're breaking their promise of an OS upgrade.
    04-09-21 07:41 PM
    At least they're admitting that they're breaking their promise of an OS upgrade.
    Are talking about this? https://www.androidcentral.com/can-l...s-probably-not
    04-09-21 08:03 PM
    Been saying this for years!! It's about who is throwing them cash in their stores for floor space and product. Honestly is horse **** and especially with carriers trying to limit devices on networks or preventing usage of unlocked devices. You hit the nail on the head here in the US.
    04-10-21 12:10 AM

What carrier store that you have visited has had a nicely laid out LG area? Absolutely none here in CA. AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon are all dominated and have been for years with Samsung and Apple.

All others are relegated to bare back walls with zero hype or flair. Usually not even running on demo mode. I remember going to AT&T to check out the "new" PRIV and it was the saddest experience ever. Along with the PRIV was LG and Moto devices...
    04-10-21 12:15 AM
    What carrier store that you have visited has had a nicely laid out LG area? Absolutely none here in CA. AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon are all dominated and have been for years with Samsung and Apple.

All others are relegated to bare back walls with zero hype or flair. Usually not even running on demo mode. I remember going to AT&T to check out the "new" PRIV and it was the saddest experience ever. Along with the PRIV was LG and Moto devices...
    LG always had good placement for it’s V series and G series devices and for Android was it’s #2 OEM in AT&T stores. In VZW stores LG and Moto were typically #2 and #3 here as well. That’s my point though, LG has a strong brand awareness and had been promoting their mid-tier devices as well.

Enterprise and consumer online sales are huge drivers of sales numbers. LG is a strong brand awareness company in the overall consumer electronics industry. Ultimately, human beings aren’t stupid and the reality is that human behavior favors consistency and familiarity. Remember, LG had 10% share in USA even last year and on track for this year until announcing plans to sell or shutdown the mobile business.
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 04-10-21 at 04:15 AM.
    04-10-21 04:02 AM
    Been saying this for years!! It's about who is throwing them cash in their stores for floor space and product. Honestly is horse **** and especially with carriers trying to limit devices on networks or preventing usage of unlocked devices. You hit the nail on the head here in the US.
    LG was throwing cash but Apple, Google and Microsoft have always had the most cash. Ironically, that didn’t help Microsoft then and doesn’t help Google now. Regardless, why didn’t customers buy the V series or G series when the promotions were far better and were actually promoted? Simple, customers like familiar and despise unnecessary change.

As far as factory unlocked devices, who are the largest sellers of compatible factory unlocked brands in the competitive space? The same OEMs that make the carrier locked. Go to Apple Store and they’ll push carrier locked with promotions over their factory unlocked versions all day long.

The reality is that carriers want to sell and maintain existing lines with devices optimized for their networks preferably sold by them. I sure don’t want to deal with someone else’s mistakes and spend my resources fixing them. It’s one reason I firmly believe the BYOD movement is lip service and not supported by any carriers. What do I actually gain from advantage standpoint with factory unlocked device. I have lines on all three carriers. One carrier offers me the best coverage in the areas I spend the most time in with the best price. Why does it matter then whether device is carrier locked?
    04-10-21 04:36 AM
    04-10-21 01:11 PM
    We've discussed this repeatedly. How BlackBerry Mobile used this press release was carefully, legally and grammatically structured. Stated part of the Android Enterprise Program and here's what the Google program entails.

There's nothing legally binding any party to performance. I'd go as far as to state the problem is Google intentionally created the program as vapor to begin with. I'm sure any CB member current on contract law could explain better. I'm a little rusty.
    04-10-21 02:00 PM
    We've discussed this repeatedly. How BlackBerry Mobile used this press release was carefully, legally and grammatically structured. Stated part of the Android Enterprise Program and here's what the Google program entails.

There's nothing legally binding any party to performance. I'd go as far as to state the problem is Google intentionally created the program as vapor to begin with. I'm sure any CB member current on contract law could explain better. I'm a little rusty.
    I completely disagree, but at a minimum, it is a broken promise to the consumer.
    Paulelmar18 and anon(5597702) like this.
    04-10-21 04:14 PM
    I completely disagree, but at a minimum, it is a broken promise to the consumer.
    ...from Google.
    BBuso77 likes this.
    04-10-21 04:44 PM

Is anyone here familiar with the degoogled e.foundation /e/OS? If yes would like to hear impressions. If good maybe it could become an option for OM's device? Helping against today's binary choice(s).
    08-18-21 03:51 PM
    Is anyone here familiar with the degoogled e.foundation /e/OS? If yes would like to hear impressions. If good maybe it could become an option for OM's device? Helping against today's binary choice(s).
    Why would OM care? Their device is suppose to be here at the end of the month. They decided the OS long ago.
    08-18-21 03:56 PM
37 12