OnwardMobility is working with Igor from the community to collect BlackBerry user community suggestions for the next BlackBerry branded phone(s), hardware and software. While the hardware of the device may well already been formulated as was hinted by Igor to the BBMe group earlier this week it still doesn't hurt to continue to add suggestions to the hardware section for future device developments.

You can provide your suggestions in the threads below and I will do my best to add them to the list here by the Friday deadline (September 25th):
    https://pad.pagetelegram.com/p/r.414...7f74a91d47fb89

Both Igor and I have direct edit access to this document. Sometime after next Friday, Igor will send the recommendations from this list to Melody Russel of OnwardMobility.

Regards,

Jason (PageTelegram)
    Last edited by givechanceachance; 09-20-20 at 08:39 AM. Reason: It's actually Melody, Igor is in touch with....
    3800, Rico4you, elfabio80 and 8 others like this.
    09-19-20 05:31 PM
    OnwardMobility is working with Igor from the community to collect BlackBerry user community suggestions for the next BlackBerry branded phone(s), hardware and software. While the hardware of the device may well already been formulated as was hinted by Igor to the BBMe group earlier this week it still doesn't hurt to continue to add suggestions to the hardware section for future device developments.

You can provide your suggestions in the threads below and I will do my best to add them to the list here by the Friday deadline (September 25th):

Both Igor and I have direct edit access to this document. Sometime after next Friday, Igor will send the recommendations from this list to Peter Franklin of OnwardMobility.

Regards,

Jason (PageTelegram)
    Great opportunity to submit ideas and or suggestions!
    09-19-20 06:07 PM
    I have to shake my head at people that want a Classic Trackpad.

Absolutely ridiculous.
    09-19-20 09:00 PM

Absolutely ridiculous.
    These are crazy times...
    09-19-20 09:02 PM

Absolutely ridiculous.
    The touch screen method of trying to get the exact cursor position you want is absolutely frustrating. And trackpad is essential feature if an option to turn off the touchscreen were introduced.
    09-19-20 09:25 PM

Both Igor and I have direct edit access to this document. Sometime after next Friday, Igor will send the recommendations from this list to Peter Franklin of OnwardMobility.

Regards,

Jason (PageTelegram)
    Hey Jason, was this initiated from the OM side?
    09-19-20 09:31 PM
    Hey Jason, was this initiated from the OM side?
    Yes!

Igor and I share admin rights to the BBMe BlackBerry group and he connected with OM's call to all moderators and administrators and is in direct contact with Peter on BBMe and email. Peter asked him to do this sort of data collection and I helped facilitate this method today.
    09-19-20 09:34 PM
    Yes!

Igor and I share admin rights to the BBMe BlackBerry group and he connected with OM's call to all moderators and administrators and is in direct contact with Peter on BBMe and email. Peter asked him to do this sort of data collection and I helped facilitate this method today.
    Interesting. Lately, I've been harsh on CB Forums about lack of some more information or explanation on what to expect from OM either software or hardware specifically.

I'm not wanting to hijack your data collection sheet but can you have Igor pass along that some newer updated generalities would be interesting. Would be great to keep the PR momentum going if possible.

Thanks, and glad to see you're still recuperating :-D
    09-19-20 09:43 PM
    Interesting. Lately, I've been harsh on CB Forums about lack of some more information or explanation on what to expect from OM either software or hardware specifically.

I'm not wanting to hijack your data collection sheet but can you have Igor pass along that some newer updated generalities would be interesting. Would be great to keep the PR momentum going if possible.

Thanks, and glad to see you're still recuperating :-D
    Thank you and I'll see what I can do....not sure Igor is so keen on CB anymore. CB mods (won't mention specific names, you know who you are) have a history of not being friendly to BB enthusiasts ideas and towards any future BlackBerry prospects. CB has been helpful to folks troubleshooting their devices; that's the crown of CB. I hope attitudes can change from the dominant what mods think "makes [business] sense" thinking towards "what can make business possible" shift. I have left this CB space for a while for the same reasons, thinking this place is some kinda duopoly (Apple/Google) sponsored economic hit-man astroturfing hostspot show with fantastic keyword "BlackBerry" SEO to drive in all BlackBerry hopefuls to the ground. I'm probably wrong however I have not been here in a while for that appearance; I sure as heck ain't alone along that line of accusation.
    09-19-20 09:56 PM
    Thank you and I'll see what I can do....not sure Igor is so keen on CB anymore. CB mods (won't mention specific names, you know who you are) have a history of not being friendly to BB enthusiasts ideas and towards any future BlackBerry prospects. CB has been helpful to folks troubleshooting their devices; that's the crown of CB. I hope attitudes can change from the dominant what mods think "makes [business] sense" thinking towards "what can make business possible" shift. I have left this CB space for a while for the same reasons, thinking this place is some kinda duopoly (Apple/Google) sponsored economic hit-man astroturfing hostspot show with fantastic keyword "BlackBerry" SEO to drive in all BlackBerry hopefuls to the ground. I'm probably wrong however I have not been here in a while for that appearance; I sure as heck ain't alone along that line of accusation.
    Which is why I prefaced things how I did. At the end of the day, OM has to accept the realities of all the baggage the BlackBerry name carries, both good and bad. OM gave it's first podcast here if memory serves? OM has already stated from the beginning this is Android device so I think everyone here accepted that from beginning too.

Ultimately just want to see this project succeed where all the others have failed.
    givechanceachance and Flatman like this.
    09-19-20 10:03 PM
    Ultimately just want to see this project succeed where all the others have failed.
    Awesome!
    09-19-20 10:07 PM

Please re-read what you've posted. Then please take a few minutes to read the R&G. Community Rules and Guidelines

Can you see several cross-overs between the two, and why your post should be moderated? (I'm letting this particular post stand to hopefully help you understand the situation.)

CB moderators are required to act based on the R&G. So, anyone making comments -- pro/skeptical of/neutral toward -- BlackBerry prospects should expect their comments to be moderated if they cannot engage in debate in a civil manner. Insults, inappropriate language, applying denigrating labels to those with whom they disagree -- any of these are grounds for posts being deleted and infractions issued.

There are no conspiracies, no hidden sponsorships, no astroturfing.
    pdr733, BBuso77 and Rootbrian like this.
    09-19-20 10:39 PM
    Please re-read what you've posted. Then please take a few minutes to read the R&G. Community Rules and Guidelines

Can you see several cross-overs between the two, and why your post should be moderated? (I'm letting this particular post stand to hopefully help you understand the situation.)

CB moderators are required to act based on the R&G. So, anyone making comments -- pro/skeptical of/neutral toward -- BlackBerry prospects should expect their comments to be moderated if they cannot engage in debate in a civil manner. Insults, inappropriate language, applying denigrating labels to those with whom they disagree -- any of these are grounds for posts being deleted and infractions issued.

There are no conspiracies, no hidden sponsorships, no astroturfing.
    Looks like I had infracted on this:

"
    Volunteers - Do not post complaints about Moderators or Ambassadors. Mobile Nations has the highest regard for individuals who volunteer their time with us. Every day they put their time and effort in to read through hundreds of threads and posts, and reach out to folks to make sure they feel welcome. For moderation in particular, all decisions are final We trust that any action that a moderator takes will follow the above rules and guidelines. Please send a PM to a Moderator if you have questions about any moderator action.
    "

I have made my statement, I apologize. Won't make it again. I'll keep it nice or not post. Thank you for the warning.
    09-19-20 10:58 PM
    Moving along, feel free to let Igor (if you connected with him already) or I know of any feature requests. Please disregard my earlier comments/opinions towards some of the unnamed seasoned CB volunteers. I hope to make a better example of myself here on out.

09-19-20 11:12 PM
    If Onward is asking for input at this stage, we're in more trouble than I thought.
    09-19-20 11:13 PM
    Looks like I had infracted on this:

"
    Volunteers - Do not post complaints about Moderators or Ambassadors. Mobile Nations has the highest regard for individuals who volunteer their time with us. Every day they put their time and effort in to read through hundreds of threads and posts, and reach out to folks to make sure they feel welcome. For moderation in particular, all decisions are final We trust that any action that a moderator takes will follow the above rules and guidelines. Please send a PM to a Moderator if you have questions about any moderator action.
    "

I have made my statement, I apologize. Won't make it again. I'll keep it nice or not post. Thank you for the warning.
    There's more to it than that. There are moderators and ambassadors active now that have been volunteering here for 5 to 10 years -- and more. Most are in the forums most days. Can you believe that they could do that without being "pro" BlackBerry? I've been a member for over 10 years, a moderator for 7 of them. I certainly wouldn't have been doing this for that amount of time if I didn't care about the brand.

I'm not looking for a response, just giving food for thought.
    givechanceachance likes this.
    09-19-20 11:21 PM
    Moving along, feel free to let Igor (if you connected with him already) or I know of any feature requests. Please disregard my earlier comments/opinions towards some of the unnamed seasoned CB volunteers. I hope to make a better example of myself here on out.

FYI - another R&G violation is to discuss previous violation details. I got in trouble with that one a lot years ago. Best to just let it go and move along with your original thread objectives.
    givechanceachance likes this.
    09-19-20 11:22 PM
    If Onward is asking for input at this stage, we're in more trouble than I thought.
    Conite, can we move on? Give this a chance! Don't spoil the soup before it has a chance to fly?

There is a separate section for responses from CB in this file. Lets fill it up. Plenty of spaces have been filled from the BBMe and some of the other BB communities Igor is connected with.
    09-19-20 11:23 PM
    The touch screen method of trying to get the exact cursor position you want is absolutely frustrating. And trackpad is essential feature if an option to turn off the touchscreen were introduced.
    ABSOLUTELY THIS ^^^^^ +1000G.. !!!

NOT including track provision for cursor placement & editing is absolutely ridiculous! I frequently edit. I frequently pull out this 9 year old Bold just to edit... Some "claim" they edit "just fine" on glass. I most certainly do NOT! I find cursor placement utterly ridiculously frustrating compared to Bold. I'm not alone! I frequently attach a usb mouse to my K JUST for editing. THAT is absolutely ridiculous, imo.

BB enjoyed fabulous differentiation in trackpad. BUT, I'd recommend reviewing some of the UX refinements in BBOS that never really made it to BB10 for Classic's implementation.

Also, imo, a real pro grade phone should have physical call control keys! Failure to end a call represents privacy exposure that really hasn't been adequately acknowledged, imo. As ONE example, a coworker once experienced a failure to end a call that permitted a client to listen in on shop talk and derive bidding info about his competitor's bid! He called me explaining what had happened and, scrupulously, declined to bid that project... Other examples but if this is to be a privacy prioritized device, a physical end key is essential. Imo.

Also, I'd recommend taking closer look at BBOS call end implementation... Pressing "end" on a Bold ENDS the call... Regardless of where user has migrated mid call. "End" on Classic is not so positive... Sometimes demanding more than a single press to end... Worth taking a look at and comparing the implementations. Imo.

Also, keyboard wear is a thing... Make KB easily replaceable... Like 9900...?

In short, find a 9900 somewhere and see what can be learned while still possible? Lol.
    09-19-20 11:37 PM
    Conite, can we move on? Give this a chance! Don't spoil the soup before it has a chance to fly?

There is a separate section for responses from CB in this file. Lets fill it up. Plenty of spaces have been filled from the BBMe and some of the other BB communities Igor is connected with.
    I'm sorry, but if they don't already have a crystal clear vision of the target market, and the specs/features/form-factor required by that target market, they are toast. This community initiative is just busy work to "engage" the fan-base.

I suspect the only thing left to decide is colour.

This thing is supposed to launch in 6 months or so, and the basic certifications take almost that long.
    Last edited by conite; 09-20-20 at 12:31 AM.
    09-20-20 12:10 AM
    I'm sorry, but if they don't already have a crystal clear vision of the target market, and the specs/features/form-factor required by that target market, they are toast. This community initiative is just busy work to "engage" the fan-base.

I suspect the only thing left to decide is colour.
    From what I understand....most of the hardware has already been decided and I made that initially clear. Reason for a hardware list is to provide OM requests for future devices. I would not cut OM short of their path in suggesting that the next BB device will be their last. I would cheer for the prospects of a line of devices provided that OM made some good market decisions for their first BB branded model.

It is a really good idea that OM is seeking ways for community involvement/participation.

Back to topic:

What are some more cool feature requests?
    09-20-20 12:33 AM
    the trackpad could be a great idea but in my opinion it should not "steal" space from the screen which should occupy the entire front of the phone except the keyboard. So if you take it into consideration it must be for example inside the space key, while the fingerprint recognition could take place directly on the glass plate.
    09-20-20 12:53 AM
    I'd really like to see re-implementation of first letter shortcuts in menu selection...

Hardware wise, take a look at Bold's stainless frame... Its tangentially brushed texture assists grasp. Its sloping angle assists to direct a portion of perpendicular force back toward palm.

Also consider that PKB operation imparts forces & displacement into the handset chassis that must be reacted against. Equal & opposite. . Forces and displacements that glass typing simply isn't forced to react to. I've found faster, more precise, typing on this 9900 when fitted with a thick extended battery cover... The added thick assists grasp. Which assists stability. Which assists predictability so that muscle memory can most readily acquire a target key... Food for thought...

Watch out to tune mass distribution (cog, moment of inertia, etc) so that rocking couples induced by certain keypress combinations avoid exciting the handset's "natural frequency"... A design element apparently missed during K1 dev. Try repeating combos like "o-m" and "i-n" or "c-o" on a K1 at about 40wpm and you'll encounter a harmonic critical that gets the chassis bouncing around in disruptive ways... K2LE's improved moi tuning doesn't encounter that critical till about 63wpm... For example. That should represent a minimal design criteria, imo. Of course this 9900 doesn't hit that wall till about 120wpm... But that's likely unneeded for most users...

Another issue is trackpad elevation... 9900 and Classic trackpads were so close to the touchscreen that the touchscreen too frequently got inadvertently touched, selecting undesired links, etc. Our mitigation was to fit a folded paper shim under the trackpad area of the keyboard. Elevating the trackpad about an additional .010" significantly mitigated inadvertent screen touches while operating the trackpad...

Foods for thoughts... Lol.
    09-20-20 01:00 AM
    the trackpad could be a great idea but in my opinion it should not "steal" space from the screen which should occupy the entire front of the phone except the keyboard. So if you take it into consideration it must be for example inside the space key, while the fingerprint recognition could take place directly on the glass plate.
    I could go along with a spacebar, or even chin, trackpad...? Wonder if trackpad might double as print reader? Thumb prints ARE what trackpads track... Lol. But, idk, designing that's above my pay grade.... Lol.
    09-20-20 01:15 AM
    Don't look it at from that end but more in engaging the BlackBerry Fan Base out there. In today's times this is an epic move.
    Last edited by Rico4you; 09-20-20 at 05:39 AM.
    09-20-20 05:06 AM
577 123 ...