Hey y’all, hope everyone is doing fine. Coming straight to topic as I was waiting for something from BlackBerry or the reason they decided not to move forward with OM, the continuous silence from both parties was really frustrating but as Chen spoke in a recent interview it seems like BlackBerry wasn’t comfortable at all moving forward with OM after delaying the product almost a year.

Though I’ve almost criticized his every decision taken for the brand in the name of turnaround but this one seems reasonable and a bit futuristic too as he said my key priority is to not the name BlackBerry take more damage as it already has especially in smartphone market. He uses Samsung as his primary device but isn’t happy typing on glass like most of us but also has a key2 which he types all the notes emails and other stuff without sometimes being looking on the screen. Also explained his undying love for the keyboards especially BlackBerry keyboards. Said he won’t be making any announcements but there’s a chance that a 5G BlackBerry pkb device could pop up in the future.

The reason for canceling the license and making all OM employees sell their houses and live in apartments is the delay mainly that only and only OM is responsible for, BlackBerry didn’t had any wrong-doing in it. Also seemed like he wasn’t pleased with the agreement with this firm which is totally normal to expect a BlackBerry device from some newbies who hasn’t made a washing machine yet, yeah no one knew what they were working behind the curtains and who knows if they had presented us a pig with makeup meaning an old device with new antenna’s and all. What was the point of bringing the device in the market after such long delays that other technology has advanced even further that this device could’ve been another failure and non competitive in the market in front of other high end offerings. Some clarification from the Chen-img_3233.jpgSome clarification from the Chen-img_3234.jpgSome clarification from the Chen-img_3235.jpg
    Last edited by Karan Riar; 03-05-22 at 07:09 PM.
    Makoshark likes this.
    03-01-22 06:59 PM
    Hey y’all, hope everyone is doing fine. Coming straight to topic as I was waiting for something from BlackBerry or the reason they decided not to move forward with OM, the continuous silence from both parties was really frustrating but as Chen spoke in a recent interview it seems like BlackBerry wasn’t comfortable at all moving forward with OM after delaying the product almost a year.

Though I’ve almost criticized his every decision taken for the brand in the name of turnaround but this one seems reasonable and a bit futuristic too as he said my key priority is to not the name BlackBerry take more damage as it already has especially in smartphone market. He uses Samsung as his primary device but isn’t happy typing on glass like most of us but also has a key2 which he types all the notes emails and other stuff without sometimes being looking on the screen. Also explained his undying love for the keyboards especially BlackBerry keyboards. Said he won’t be making any announcements but there’s a chance that a 5G BlackBerry pkb device could pop up in the future.

The reason for canceling the license and making all OM employees sell their houses and live in apartments is the delay mainly that only and only OM is responsible for, BlackBerry didn’t had any wrong-doing in it. Also seemed like he wasn’t pleased with the agreement with this firm which is totally normal to expect a BlackBerry device from some newbies who hasn’t made a washing machine yet, yeah no one knew what they were working behind the curtains and who knows if they had presented us a pig with makeup meaning an old device with new antenna’s and all. What was the point of bringing the device in the market after such long delays that other technology has advanced even further that this device could’ve been another failure and non competitive in the market in front of other high end offerings. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3233.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	451816Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3234.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	451817Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3235.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	451818
    I also feel that BlackBerry was glad to use the delays as an excuse to further rid itself of the handset moniker after having sold all of the relevant patents anyway.
    rarsen likes this.
    03-01-22 07:03 PM
    Well... I don't to sound ironic over here, but he had all the means to produce a new 5G phone.
    On the other hand, we are discussing for unpatched devices that cannot be considered secure, but the CEO of the company which sells "Secure products" uses a KEY2....
    I really don't see the point he wants to make...
    elfabio80 likes this.
    03-02-22 10:19 AM
    Well... I don't to sound ironic over here, but he had all the means to produce a new 5G phone.
    On the other hand, we are discussing for unpatched devices that cannot be considered secure, but the CEO of the company which sells "Secure products" uses a KEY2....
    I really don't see the point he wants to make...
    "He" was never really involved in making a phone.... just giving out stickers.

Yes his choice of phone is hard to understand from a PR point of view for the company.

But then we don't know what OS he is running... could be a number of KEY2's at BlackBerry that have Android 12 (or anything) on them. Just because we can't unlock the boot rom, doesn't mean BlackBerry can't.
    03-02-22 11:34 AM

Yes his choice of phone is hard to understand from a PR point of view for the company.

But then we don't know what OS he is running... could be a number of KEY2's at BlackBerry that have Android 12 (or anything) on them. Just because we can't unlock the boot rom, doesn't mean BlackBerry can't.
    He probably has a very secure android 8.1 that keeps getting security patches
    shakingthrough likes this.
    03-02-22 01:40 PM
    Be hard for BlackBerry to provide patches... that Google no longer makes. Android 8.1 is pretty much EOL.
    03-02-22 01:48 PM
    The reason for canceling the license and making all OM employees sell their houses and live in apartments is the delay mainly that only and only OM is responsible for, BlackBerry didn’t had any wrong-doing in it.
    Did the few OM employees that we know of quit their other jobs? I am trying to understand how they lost their houses. If you looked up the employees on linked in most of them had other full time employment.
    03-02-22 02:52 PM
    There is no chance of this - there is nobody to produce these patches.
    03-02-22 04:21 PM

Sure, anything is possible.
    03-02-22 05:46 PM
    I also feel that BlackBerry was glad to use the delays as an excuse to further rid itself of the handset moniker after having sold all of the relevant patents anyway.

You definitely has more knowledge as to how selling of these patents specifically linked to keyboards messaging and wireless networking as we all know they got no use of them after shutting hardware division. Also there’s a fact which is kept little behind the curtains but I’ve read about not much being known of this Delaware registered acquirer catapult IP innovations other than the fact it is specifically formed to acquire BlackBerry’s patents. I mean OM being put to bankruptcy nearly and Chen saying’no official announcement but a new keyboard BlackBerry could see the daylight in near future, so who knows this new company could be making next gen BlackBerry devices.
    03-05-22 05:24 PM
    I mean OM being put to bankruptcy nearly and Chen saying ’no official announcement but a new keyboard BlackBerry could see the daylight in near future, so who knows this new company could be making next gen BlackBerry devices.
    1. If anybody put OM nearly into bankruptcy, it was OM.

2. Note the date and time here: there's no realistic chance in this universe that [B]anyone[B] will be making any BB devices, much less next gen devices.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-06-22 05:59 AM
    They dropped the ball. Both companies and all involved need to be slapped repeatedly.
    phuoc likes this.
    03-06-22 07:33 AM
    They dropped the ball. Both companies and all involved need to be slapped repeatedly.
    Both companies? OM is a single company?
    03-06-22 07:47 AM
    Both companies? OM is a single company?
    Blackberry dropped the ball to end up in deal making mode. OM dropped the ball repeatedly by not producing and not answering for it.
    shakingthrough and italia2014 like this.
    03-06-22 07:49 AM
    Blackberry dropped the ball to end up in deal making mode. OM dropped the ball repeatedly by not producing and not answering for it.
    So BlackBerry should turn down licensing deals? It can't be choosy... whoever shows up check in hand gets a deal. Like theme parks in the snowy winter season, there's no line and no hope for one either..

It's been game over for BlackBerry since Apple, Google and countless OEMs showed up in 2007-2008 era with checkbooks multiples larger than entire BlackBerry Limited company. They're lucky to be still breathing....
    Laura Knotek and JeepBB like this.
    03-06-22 07:58 AM
    So BlackBerry should turn down licensing deals? It can't be choosy... whoever shows up check in hand gets a deal. Like theme parks in the snowy winter season, there's no line and no hope for one either..

It's been game over for BlackBerry since Apple, Google and countless OEMs showed up in 2007-2008 era with checkbooks multiples larger than entire BlackBerry Limited company. They're lucky to be still breathing....
    Actually they chose not to adapt and keep up. With the other products. They got fat and lazy and just put out more of the same old. Never built apps that sold and doubled down on both.
    03-06-22 08:21 AM
    Actually they chose not to adapt and keep up. With the other products. They got fat and lazy and just put out more of the same old. Never built apps that sold and doubled down on both.
    BlackBerry decided to get out of the handset business in 2013, and after liquidating all commitments, did so in 2016.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-06-22 08:54 AM
    I think you've missed the point entirely. BlackBerry was already facing long-term viability issues in 2005 or so as Microsoft, Nokia, Palm, Samsung, Motorola and others were encroaching on BlackBerry original business as carriers were looking for ways to get rid of BlackBerry data plans in favor of carrier data plans.

The original push email and compressed data plans is all that BlackBerry Limited ever really brought to figurative table. It was also Blackberry source of revenue for the most part. New customers weren't going to be purchasing BlackBerry data plans and the carriers with proprietary OEMs had at least 100x the literal economic resources plus newer technologies as partners. BlackBerry success relied on not partnering with anyone and sharing anything. The other companies just as much didn't want to partner with BlackBerry and only begrudgingly chose to partner with the evil Microsoft instead. That's why Google thrived and free licensed everyone. Simply the anti-status quo, with enormous positive cash flow that only additionally benefited with each new Android customer.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-06-22 10:04 AM
    I think you've missed the point entirely. BlackBerry was already facing long-term viability issues in 2005 or so as Microsoft, Nokia, Palm, Samsung, Motorola and others were encroaching on BlackBerry original business as carriers were looking for ways to get rid of BlackBerry data plans in favor of carrier data plans.

The original push email and compressed data plans is all that BlackBerry Limited ever really brought to figurative table. It was also Blackberry source of revenue for the most part. New customers weren't going to be purchasing BlackBerry data plans and the carriers with proprietary OEMs had at least 100x the literal economic resources plus newer technologies as partners. BlackBerry success relied on not partnering with anyone and sharing anything. The other companies just as much didn't want to partner with BlackBerry and only begrudgingly chose to partner with the evil Microsoft instead. That's why Google thrived and free licensed everyone. Simply the anti-status quo, with enormous positive cash flow that only additionally benefited with each new Android customer.
    In a way Google copied BlackBerry, but rather than direct fees for BIS, Google gave away their OS, Apps and Services... for the much more valuable advertising fees that could be gained without the user having to pay in dollars... just eyeballs.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-07-22 07:09 AM
    In a way Google copied BlackBerry, but rather than direct fees for BIS, Google gave away their OS, Apps and Services... for the much more valuable advertising fees that could be gained without the user having to pay in dollars... just eyeballs.
    Exactly..... Google developed their revenue business in the 90s much differently than BlackBerry revenue model from the 90s era.

BlackBerry chose to monetize up front and did rather well for it's time and it's founders. Apple, Google, Microsoft and Samsung had the resources and still have the resources to play the long game. BlackBerry never really had the resources so their strategy made the most sense for them until party ended...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-07-22 08:52 AM
    Any bets on "doesn't know his stock price"?
    03-20-22 04:27 PM
    One (more) hopefully short point. The big question that I have is why no other company had an interest in manufacturing cell phones with PKB's. From what I can tell (with my relatively short tenure here), the issue is not as much about the "Blackberry" name on the equipment, and it doesn't seem as if too many are all that thrilled with the BB 0S in any event, so at least from my perspective the question would be "Why was it not profitable to mfr., and sell the phones with PKB's in this place, and space in time? The fact is, there really isn't very much security in using a cell phone anyway, and for Enterprise users it might pay to have an encryption algorithm, however for SMB users that is probably not the case, and trying to compete with "What's App"(sp, I think that is what our tech partner said we are using to exchange message and "facetime"?). Unihertz, in China, appears to be the only company with an interest in producing these units, and if it comes from China 99.999% of the time any form of "security" on a cell phone is pretty much a joke in any event. Combine that with the fact that only a very small part of the SMB market has any competitors with either their budget or need for encrypted information capabilities on their cell phones anyway (and that really small part of the SMB market generally consists of U.S. Gov't contractors so NSA probably addresses any existential needs that they may have in data transmission security. Worse yet, if someone really thinks that what they are transmitting over a commercial cell network is secure, all that it really takes to break it down is a subpoena, which is the way litigators, civil or criminal approach the problem, and as is the case with us, I work under the presumption that no one who is discussing issues on CrackBery or any other user site (and this is not to disparage CrackBerry, quite the opposite as it is predicated upon the assumption virtually everyone here at least tries their best to have no reason to worry about their records being subpoenaed in any event.

My position here, and virtually everywhere else that I comingle or complain about the fact that my Blackberry is becoming about as useless as a "cell phone in the desert with a dead battery and no alternate means of charging the battery close by" results SOLELY from the absence of any realistic alternative phone with a PKB. If I am wrong about that, I will take responsibility and unilaterally accept the consequences therefrom. I would ask the following hypothetical question to test such an assumption, how controversial would this issue be, and how many B'berry users out there, would be dissatisfied if they could just take their B'berry device, mine is a "Classic" however, I have a desk drawer full of those earlier devices that go back at least as far as that one where it opened by sliding it along its longitudinal axis to expose the keyboard, I think I started using B'berries approx. twenty (~20yrs) years ago, not to mention that in the work that I do, the fact is, (and from my general knowledge this is not atypical) that most generally cell phones are ~155mm x ~50mm "cinder-block" in size transceivers is generally a PIT*. The real cause for B'bery's financial issues emanates from the fact that they simply refused to accept that there remained little interest in their proprietary OS, which was never really upgraded so as to be competitive with iOSx or Android OSx, there is little need to address things such as "push mail" which became almost ubiquitous, and they failed to concentrate on their market niche which eventually became the users of cellphones with PKB's, or perhaps they made a fatal judgement that everyone in business just loved the BB OSx, and their secretaries just loved dealing with "B'berry Link" and "B'berry Blend" as they had so much free time on their hands, and loved every little technical detail that their bosses just dropped on them as we never really liked to deal with it either. At the very least that each of us, including myself, who is obsessed with having a PKB, and hating the proliferation of VKB phones has become an anachronism. Each of my grandsons, ages five (5) to seventeen (17) has grown up essentially with a cell phone as an appendage to their bodies. Even the five (5) year old is learning his language skills on an MS Surface Tablet and his cellphone, which admittedly at his age is generally used to allow his folks to do things like geo-fence and keep track of him on the ranch, and for the most part, I am happier not knowing what the seventeen (17) year old one does with his, and I would not want to know his passkey to it even if he did offer to me (which would lead me to believe that he had a burner hidden away in his car, or his locker at school or the gym, just as about every other boy/man his age probably does, as would I if I were have had access to this technology at his age when I was growing up). That is the (too) long, and short of it, I just wonder if this is an atypical attitude, or if I am the outlier in this opinion within this venue?
    CmdrStraker likes this.
    03-20-22 05:30 PM
    ... why no other company had an interest in manufacturing cell phones with PKB's.
    Because they don't sell. The end.
    03-20-22 05:49 PM
    It's simple, not enough people want a PKB to make it a viable mainstream product.
    03-20-22 05:54 PM
    It's simple, not enough people want a PKB to make it a viable mainstream product.
    A PKB can come in various shapes and forms.
    03-20-22 08:54 PM
62 123