• Evolve or some slab

3 2.59%
  • Style or something folding

2 1.72%
  • Landscape pkb of some sort

2 1.72%
  • Something very different

1 0.86%
    The all up weight of the device is what is important. A first gen Priv weighs less than than modern slabs that are big sellers. That is the issue.

Your comparison makes no sense and is illogical. Your use of capitalisation mid sentence can be determined as yelling. Is that your intention?
    The S21 Ultra has a 6.8" screen. The iPhone 12 Pro Max is 6.7".

The Priv has a 5.4" screen. Not the same world.

Caps are for intonation.
    BBuso77 likes this.
    03-07-21 12:56 AM
    The S21 Ultra has a 6.8" screen. The iPhone 12 Pro Max is 6.7".

The Priv has a 5.4" screen. Not the same world.

Caps are for intonation.
    Agree with Gene Fells. Your comparison and statement above weren't about size; they were about weight. Not sure why the focus changed.
    03-07-21 06:42 AM
    Agree with Gene Fells. Your comparison and statement above weren't about size; they were about weight. Not sure why the focus changed.
    His point was that the Priv isn't heavier than modern slabs. But he picked slabs that were much bigger, so the comparison isn't fair.

The comparably sized Moto E6 Play is 140g. Now let's talk about the 192g Priv.
    03-07-21 09:44 AM
    His point was that the Priv isn't heavier than modern slabs. But he picked slabs that were much bigger, so the comparison isn't fair.
    K. So let's compare apples to berries then. the iPhone 12 mini is like 133 grams, right? That's not considerably less than a Priv.

Perhaps a more apt comparison is the Sony Xperia Z5 (came out around the same time, IIRC) at 154 g.

My point is that I agree: there are likely any number of perceived (BB brand) or real (overheating, abysmal battery life) deterrents that stopped the Priv from taking off in general. But I can't imagine weight was one of them.
    the_boon and bh7171 like this.
    03-07-21 09:50 AM
    <snip>
    A Youtube clip touted three OM BB this year!
    <snip>
    Where did OM claim 3 devices this year ?
    03-07-21 09:56 AM
    K. So let's compare apples to berries then. the iPhone 12 mini is like 133 grams, right? That's not considerably less than a Priv.

My point is that I agree: there are likely any number of perceived or real deterrents that stopped the Priv from taking off in general, but I can't imagine weight was one of them.
    135g is not considerably less than 192g?

That's a big price to pay for someone that might be only curious to try a pkb again.
    BBuso77 likes this.
    03-07-21 09:59 AM

That's a big price to pay for someone that might be only curious to try a pkb again.
    IMO, it's not, no. Just as it's your opinion that 192g is a big price to pay to try a PKB again.

See also my edit above where I bring up a phone that's similarly sized and came out around the same time. Neither slab is exactly down a "weight class" from the Priv.

I think the bigger price people would be paying are the poor specs and outdated OS. I used one for awhile and didn't see that noticeable of a difference between its weight and other similarly sized slabs I've used over the years.
    03-07-21 10:03 AM
    IMO, it's not, no. Just as it's your opinion that 192g is a big price to pay to try a PKB again.

See also my edit above where I bring up a phone that's similarly sized and came out around the same time. Neither slab is exactly down a "weight class" from the Priv.

I think the bigger price people would be paying are the poor specs and outdated OS. I used one for awhile and didn't see that noticeable of a difference between its weight and other similarly sized slabs I've used over the years.
    No, I'm not saying 192g is a big price to pay. I'm saying 40g (or 40%) over any comparable slab is a big price to pay for many - those who are already comfortably using a slab who you want to bring back.
    Last edited by conite; 03-07-21 at 11:40 AM.
    BBuso77 likes this.
    03-07-21 10:36 AM

I don't really hear people choosing a device based on weight. Size, yes.

Weight is pretty much a non-issue as far as consumers are concerned. It's more the extra cost of the sliding design as opposite to fixed keyboard.
    anon(5597702) and saint300 like this.
    03-07-21 12:03 PM

Weight is pretty much a non-issue as far as consumers are concerned. It's more the extra cost of the sliding design as opposite to fixed keyboard.
    You are speaking from a very different place though. There is almost nothing you wouldn't be willing to give up / compromise for a pkb.

There are people here willing to use a Titan for goodness sake.

I'm trying to stay more objective and think from the perspective of a typical slab user.
    BBuso77 likes this.
    03-07-21 12:21 PM
    You are speaking from a very different place though. There is almost nothing you wouldn't be willing to give up / compromise for a pkb.

There are people here willing to use a Titan for goodness sake.

I'm trying to stay more objective and think from the perspective of a typical slab user.
    And I am, I doubt carrier store reps often get the question "which slabs do you have that weight under xxxg ?"

I don't even think the weight ever shows up on the label next to the phone.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    03-07-21 01:13 PM
    Yes, that's probably true of boon, but he was speaking to the pseudo-absurdity of the idea of someone walking into a cell provider store and asking about the weights of various slabs. Maybe it does happen, but it's hard to picture as a typical question. Boon, despite clearly be more than partial to PKB, was attempting objectivity wrt a slab customer.

It didn't seem that objective to me. You bring up weight as an important aspect to you and have in other threads, so isn't this partially thinking from your own specific place/bias? That's fine, btw. But frame it that way and not as the perspective of a typical slab user. In any case, I agree w/ boon; I don't think people typically go into a store asking about the weight of a device, because they're probably all similar at this point.
    Last edited by mh1983; 03-07-21 at 02:01 PM.
    saint300 likes this.
    03-07-21 01:31 PM
    This was a quote from "Blackberry Classic 2 (releasing in 2021) Blackberry Q30. Dated Nov 20,2020. Other posts referenced to 3 new BB next year (2021)
    Posted by "(BLOP)." On YouTube questionable but interesting in these unsettling times!
    03-07-21 01:36 PM
    You bring up weight as an important aspect to you and have in other threads, so isn't this partially thinking from your own specific place/bias? That's fine, btw. But frame it that way and not as the perspective of a typical slab user. In any case, I agree w/ boon; I don't think people typically go into a store asking about the weight of a device, because they're probably all similar at this point.
    The weight issue becomes something relative to other devices when someone is comparing devices of different forms in an in-person setting.

If someone is considering a VKB/PKB/Slider/Foldable in today's environment, you don't think weight is part of that consideration. Size and weight are definitely part of the VKB or Foldable conversation. If people still had PKB and Sliders to compare like the old days, sliders used to lose because of the "extra" aspects. It's a known issue with all kinds of consumer products.

It's the old adage of attempting to be everything to everyone and satisfying no one. The VKB, for better or worse, has become the closest to satisfy the masses and research in consumer products favors price, simplicity and durability. When that happens, it leads to sales and for OEMs in consumer products that are the volume sellers, profits.
    03-07-21 01:43 PM
    This was a quote from "Blackberry Classic 2 (releasing in 2021) Blackberry Q30. Dated Nov 20,2020. Other posts referenced to 3 new BB next year (2021)
    Posted by "(BLOP)." On YouTube questionable but interesting in these unsettling times!
    The Q30 was the Passport once released..
    03-07-21 01:44 PM
    I believe it's vaporware. The ability to pass regulatory agencies within 2021 is dubious and production will not proceed without those certificates. Foxconn is not a newbie and wants to be paid.
    03-07-21 01:45 PM
    The weight issue becomes something relative to other devices when someone is comparing devices of different forms in an in-person setting.

If someone is considering a VKB/PKB/Slider/Foldable in today's environment, you don't think weight is part of that consideration. Size and weight are definitely part of the VKB or Foldable conversation. If people still had PKB and Sliders to compare like the old days, sliders used to lose because of the "extra" aspects. It's a known issue with all kinds of consumer products.

It's the old adage of attempting to be everything to everyone and satisfying no one. The VKB, for better or worse, has become the closest to satisfy the masses and research in consumer products favors price, simplicity and durability. When that happens, it leads to sales and for OEMs in consumer products that are the volume sellers, profits.
    While somewhat hyperbolic, all that you said about slabs/VKB devices is well understood. If anything, you're probably inadvertently backing up my point: taking what you said further (slabs = closest to satisfying all), wouldn't the typical slab weight range be fairly limited, thus ensuring the very outcome that it's not a major factor in the consumer's decision one way or the other?
    Gene Fells likes this.
    03-07-21 01:48 PM
    And I am, I doubt carrier store reps often get the question "which slabs do you have that weight under xxxg ?"

I don't even think the weight ever shows up on the label next to the phone.
    What's going to matter is the PKB and is it good for those that prefer it and want one.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    03-07-21 01:55 PM
    While somewhat hyperbolic, all that you said about slabs/VKB devices is well understood. If anything, you're probably inadvertently backing up my point: taking what you said further (slabs = closest to satisfying all), wouldn't the typical slab weight range be fairly limited, thus ensuring the very outcome that it's not a major factor in the consumer's decision one way or the other?
    True, my opinions are my own. I don't know enough other cell phone users especially in the subset of those with physical keyboards to be able to issue any other opinion. However I have known people to cite here as well as on other websites that they appreciate having a hefty cell phone and find some models too flighty feeling like a feather in the hand. So go figure?? We're not going to know until we know. At least it's not my money up for grabs investing... But I would shell out hard-earned cash for a Priv-like model with many improvements.
    03-07-21 02:15 PM

A lot of that weight could be shed by getting rid of the glass back on modern smartphones. A good composite material would Make a device feel good and allow wireless charging while greatly reducing the weight. With the added benefit of only one side of the device potentially breaking when dropped.

That said a modern smartphone with a 6.5 inch screen would be really hard to old with a slider keyboard.

I stongly doubt if OM produces a phone in 2021 it will be a slider.
    the_boon likes this.
    03-07-21 05:33 PM
    For a Priv 2 no joke, I'd consider paying almost any price, especially if they do their research and fit it w/ an #amaze processor+cam like they did w/ the KEYᵒⁿᵉ
    the_boon likes this.
    03-07-21 07:30 PM
    I typed that on my Priv, and then as I was getting ready to give our toddlers a bath, I stood it up in the corner of their vanity which amplifies the sound of the music. Man I love this phone
    03-07-21 07:56 PM
    I typed that on my Priv, and then as I was getting ready to give our toddlers a bath, I stood it up in the corner of their vanity which amplifies the sound of the music. Man I love this phone
    How is it that so many people don't get that about how to amplify their phone? Or is it an exclusively BlackBerry design thing? I have never used any phone other than BlackBerry, but always put them in corners to amplify them and people think I'm using some kind of external speaker.

As for the threads original discussion....give me a new Passport. I loved that phone. Seems awkward at first but once I got used to the keyboard ones on phones like my Key2 seem cramped.
    saint300 likes this.
    03-07-21 10:21 PM
    Or is it an exclusively BlackBerry design thing?
    Well, it's def not exclusive to BlackBerry, but it's nice how when you stand it up it's in the perf position. The Motion also had a squared design (the newest iPhones likewise) but most phones that can stand, doing so will block their main speaker. There's also something to say about the quality of the Priv speaker, not only that it's front facing. I've owned an LG 40 and a Razer phone which both touted incredible speakers (in the case of the Razer, you can literally find reviews online where people discovered new aspects of the tracks they were listening to once they heard them on that phone) - and the Priv didn't lose to them by too huge of a margin hehe
    Last edited by Exedorable; 03-08-21 at 11:17 PM.
    03-07-21 10:41 PM
    If you ask a younger person what form factor they would want, the only obvious choice is the slider. That way they could have their full screen real estate and have the option of a nice PKB which they may never actually use but can show off.

Dreams of a purely PKB device will certainly doom the device to failure. The PRIV was an excellent piece of engineering and design. It failed because it has bad battery life, a terrible PKB and overheated because of the poor SOC choice. The camera was also less than good.
    the_boon and phuoc like this.
    03-08-21 10:36 AM
375 ... 7891011 ...