The 5 years warranty is about hardware.
    Hmm... So does that warranty include OS patch updates? If so good for them!

If not, what good is 5yr old slab hardware with outdated, unpatched, Android?

If patches are included, how are they funding that activity? Device sales? SAF??

Wandering minds wonder... Lol.
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    10-27-21 09:23 AM
    Double post... Again... Lol.
    10-27-21 09:33 AM

If patches are included, how are they funding that activity? Device sales? SAF??

with companies like that its always a risk
    they could be OOB within 2 years
    you never know
    10-27-21 09:44 AM
    just to go back on the Pixel 6.
    only worry I got is the battery.

coming from a Key 2 (with a new battery in it) I'm afraid to go to the Pixel 6. seems it's quite under the competition despite Google having their own chip in it.
    10-27-21 10:17 AM
    you never know
    Fairphone 2 (2015) did get Fairphone Open Android 9 update this year, and last update for it came in August. Would assume to includes latest patches of Android 9.

But yeah it all depends on how viable and stable the company is.....
    10-27-21 10:19 AM
    just to go back on the Pixel 6.
    only worry I got is the battery.

coming from a Key 2 (with a new battery in it) I'm afraid to go to the Pixel 6. seems it's quite under the competition despite Google having their own chip in it.
    I've had my 6 Pro for one day now, and even with the far superior specs, the battery seems very much in line with the Pixel 5. And that one gave me a solid day with about 10 hours of screen on time.

I'll know much better after a week of settling out.
    10-27-21 10:23 AM
    "We signed partnership agreements with over 45 carriers and retailers across nine countries at launch, including deep collaboration with each of the major US carriers: AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon." - Google (Pixel 6)
    AT&T (side note) is now listing the factory unlocked 5a officially supported.
    10-27-21 10:34 AM

Nobody can update Android longer than Google itself continues providing the update like in the case of the Key2 and I don't believe Google supports any OS currently, officially for the five (5) year time frame.

As far as SAF, I don't think anyone has figured out how to charge one to support a device model yet.
    10-27-21 10:38 AM
    you never know
    Yep. NvrKno... Even a "Monster Corp" can evaporate crazy quick... Who'd expected Westinghouse demise? ?? Lol. (My crew's replacing an old Westinghouse MCC this minute. Lol)
    Even mighty Samsung might share some geography exposed to some "threats of evaporation"... Ug...

But, I'm most curious about what Fairphone's stated "intention" is? They've apparently been "around" for about 8 years...? Lending some bit of credence to a 5 year commitment. Just wondering how THEY expect a 5 year hardware warranty to square with Android's oem dependent patch cycle?

EDIT: It looks like Chuck & DDD pretty much answered...
    10-27-21 10:38 AM
    Fairphone 2 (2015) did get Fairphone Open Android 9 update this year, and last update for it came in August. Would assume to includes latest patches of Android 9.

But yeah it all depends on how viable and stable the company is.....
    But what good is 9 when everyone now is on 10 at minimum and people like me are going to be required to have 11 at minimum soon. I'm still waiting for a promised upgrade from Teracube 2e that I realistically have never really expected.

By promising extended updates and longer support, the companies need far greater volume than I believe they'll ever get.
    10-27-21 10:44 AM
    But what good is 9 when everyone now is on 10 at minimum and people like me are going to be required to have 11 at minimum soon. I'm still waiting for a promised upgrade from Teracube 2e that I realistically have never really expected.

By promising extended updates and longer support, the companies need far greater volume than I believe they'll ever get.
    Oh I agree... to me support should mean your on the latest update, not something from three years ago.

I don't see me leaving the walled garden some say I'm stuck in... it's nice in here.
    pdr733 likes this.
    10-27-21 10:56 AM
    Oh I agree... to me support should mean your on the latest update, not something from three years ago.

I don't see me leaving the walled garden some say I'm stuck in... it's nice in here.
    Keeps out the unwashed.... LOL
    10-27-21 10:57 AM
    Well, what "threats" are posed to those on updated 9? Is it just functionality? Or real threat to privacy/security? ??
    10-27-21 11:05 AM
    Well, what "threats" are posed to those on updated 9? Is it just functionality? Or real threat to privacy/security? ??
    A lot depends on "if" it's one current security patches....

In general I haven't seen any comparisons between different versions of Android, but there are always improvements that add privacy features.

I guess you could go way back and look at what the difference between 9 and 10, then what it was between 10 and 11 and finially what 12 added over 11.
    10-27-21 11:56 AM
    A lot depends on "if" it's one current security patches....

In general I haven't seen any comparisons between different versions of Android, but there are always improvements that add privacy features.

I guess you could go way back and look at what the difference between 9 and 10, then what it was between 10 and 11 and finially what 12 added over 11.
    Yes, I COULD do that... But that's what IT and "my smart guys' are for. Lol. Just seeking background before asking them... They've likely already lurked this thread so... Lol.

No small number in MY circles are suffering "OS drama" fatigue. Most are defaulting to Apple... Some, like my crew, value different hardware priorities. Obviously PKB, USABLE compactness, durability, repairability, etc. But ALSO relief from excessively frequent learning curve pain... AND the ridiculously persistent "OS drama".

We just want to communicate. Lol.
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    10-27-21 12:25 PM
    @conite: What makes *you* choose Android over iPhone in general? I'm still staring over the cliff with my Z10..

To me, Apple reeks (and has always reeked) of over-priced monopoly and near totalitarian control, while Android appears to offer greater flexibility and control. But you may have other primary considerations.
    Did not get a reply to the above (unless I overlooked it) so trying again!
    10-27-21 01:28 PM
    Did not get a reply to the above (unless I overlooked it) so trying again!
    Oops, sorry. Missed it the first time.

I suppose I'm not fancy on the idea of the walled-garden "our way or the highway" approach.

I like to tinker and customise, plus find a wider range of interesting hardware available. I can also bring workers (and my family members) into my ecosystem for as little as $200-$300 (CDN) per device.
    BBHermes and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-27-21 01:35 PM
    Oops, sorry. Missed it the first time.

I suppose I'm not fancy on the idea of the walled-garden "our way or the highway" approach.

I like to tinker and customise, plus find a wider range of interesting hardware available. I can also bring workers (and my family members) into my ecosystem for as little as $200-$300 (CDN) per device.
    Many thanks. Those three or four reasons jibe well with my own. The plan here is to stick with Android - and to bracket the reservations I and others have expressed ad nauseum..
    10-27-21 01:40 PM
    Attachment 451237

Do you not remember the Asus Transformer tablets, starting with the TF101 in 2011? That was an Android Honeycomb (3.0) tablet that came with a detachable keyboard. This was released a year after the first iPad, so it's not like usable tablets had been around for years before the first keyboard showed up. Speaking of, Logitech and others were also selling BlueTooth keyboards for the iPad and other tablets starting around that time, though they were not as well integrated as the Transformers.
    True. I added the keyboard to my HP Touchpad in the first year. BB mini keyboard for Playbook appeared in 2011 as well, as I remember.
    10-27-21 01:40 PM
    Many thanks. Those three or four reasons jibe well with my own. The plan here is to stick with Android - and to bracket the reservations I and others have expressed ad nauseum..
    Just dial back your privacy settings on Google, and install Netguard.

Android 12 on the Pixel has introduced a privacy dashboard that is at least as good as DTEK was. You also have hard quick toggles for your microphone, camera, and location.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/andro...ivacy-upgrades
    BBHermes and idssteve like this.
    10-27-21 01:48 PM
    That character on YouTube who goes on and on about BlackBerry without a great deal of interesting information gave a big yak about Duo version 2 which I suppose is getting ready to come out or came out just in the last few days or the next few days. no keyboard so it's probably not for me but the first version was kind of a flop and they say this one corrected some of the issues if not all. Anybody know anything or put their hands on it? that said, I'm real hesitant to think about any of the folding phones by Samsung or anybody else. Thing about Samsung is there selling the larger folding phone now and giving you a free screen for the first year too I guess. why would they have to do that? They must be failing and they're going to fill up the proverbial Hudson Bay with the piles of those phones that have to be thrown away rising up out of the water right next to the piles of blackberries that have been thrown in there.
    Last edited by RLeeSimon; 10-27-21 at 08:22 PM.
    10-27-21 02:57 PM
    I've had my 6 Pro for one day now, and even with the far superior specs, the battery seems very much in line with the Pixel 5. And that one gave me a solid day with about 10 hours of screen on time.

Directly from Google? Or a carrier? Free buds?

No headphone jack is a **** off
    10-27-21 03:42 PM
    Directly from Google? Or a carrier? Free buds?

No headphone jack is a **** off
    Direct. Buds will come later, but yes.

I've been used to no wires for a year now with my Pixel 5, and I don't miss it - aptX HD and LDAC are the bomb.
    10-27-21 03:46 PM

I just updated my 4a to Android 12 and it seems that the battery life isn't as good as it was on 11. It could be because it's the first 12 update, hopefully a future monthly patch will help with that.
    10-27-21 07:32 PM

Why not just propose to have the users pay for support after 3 years?

They could simply pay a flat fee per each additional monthly patch after that.
    10-27-21 07:34 PM
2,046 ... 2526272829 ...