I finally had to move on from the priv a couple months ago and went with the OnePlus 8T. Good specs and great battery and superfast charge that hit my price point. The camera is infinitely better than the old priv so the camera was not a huge priority like so many other people.... I don't need 25 lenses and 64k virtual reality holograms to occasionally take a photo that I have to reduce the size of because my storage is filled with massive files anyway...
    I basically got the 9 but with the 8 camera. Very happy with the phone. I looked at Pixels (pixel6 wasn't an option a couple months ago) but was pretty unimpressed and I always read how mediocre everyone said it was plus the screen size I think. Don't like virtual keyboard but not much I can do and held out as long as I could.
    Pixel 6 hasn't even launched yet really.... but most ever tech pundit seems impressed.

I don't think the Pixel has really been all that impressive for the last few years, and Google could still have a flop if they don't get it right with the Pixel 6 - defects, poor battery life.... but so far on paper it's impressive IMHO.
    09-14-21 07:06 AM
    I think Samsung beats out the pixel anymore I would lean towards them IMO.
    09-14-21 07:12 AM
    I think most would enjoy Samsung not "clean" experience.... lot of refinements and enhancements in the OS, that improve greatly on the Android experience - offers a low walled garden so to speak. At this point the hardware can handle it, plus Samsung in general has fewer "issues" with their hardware.

As I said.... Google has to get it right with the Pixel 6 & Pixel 6 Pro. I'm looking forward to seeing if they do, but I wouldn't be an early adopter - it's something you need to wait for the reviews and some real world testing.
    09-14-21 07:36 AM
    https://www.reviewgeek.com/91198/les...i-hate-it/amp/
    09-14-21 08:25 AM
    Now who's cherry picking ? One can find all kinds of those vs. Pixel as well. If one uses the all important sales data its either Samsung or now Xiaomi for their Android hardware needs.

This being said I am pulling for Pixel to stay around because they have helped and will help further push the support window in Android.
    09-14-21 09:26 AM
    Now who's cherry picking ? One can find all kinds of those vs. Pixel as well. If one uses the all important sales data its either Samsung or now Xiaomi for their Android hardware needs.

This being said I am pulling for Pixel to stay around because they have helped and will help further push the support window in Android.
    Yes, I am definitely cherry picking. I was attempting to give the poster some information that might make him reconsider the available alternatives.

I would never flat out avoid Samsung for the same reason.
    09-14-21 09:35 AM
    Earlier this year, I decided to renew my Android devices and considered several (non PRC) models.
    Blacklisted Sony, Nokia, Asus because of the short update cycles.
    Shortlisted Pixel and Galaxy. Studied local prices and guarantee terms and have chosen Galaxy A52 for the costs reasons and for the extended guarantee of 2 years.
    After 1 month of usage, I have almost nothing to complain about. It feels "plasticky" and IP protection is not the highest, but I carry it in the case anyway. Annoying bloatware was hidden on day 1. I wish it was a bit smaller, closer to Galaxy S21, but a larger size helps to find it easier in my gym/pool bag. And there is a headphone jack !
    Battery, responsiveness, call quality, memory, screen, camera - everything works as expected. Knox gives me peace of mind.
    Not the most perfect mobile device in my life, but I give it an 8/10 and will use it until security updates last, which means 3.5 years.
    pdr733 and bh7171 like this.
    09-14-21 02:38 PM
    Earlier this year, I decided to renew my Android devices and considered several (non PRC) models.
    Blacklisted Sony, Nokia, Asus because of the short update cycles.
    Shortlisted Pixel and Galaxy. Studied local prices and guarantee terms and have chosen Galaxy A52 for the costs reasons and for the extended guarantee of 2 years.
    After 1 month of usage, I have almost nothing to complain about. It feels "plasticky" and IP protection is not the highest, but I carry it in the case anyway. Annoying bloatware was hidden on day 1. I wish it was a bit smaller, closer to Galaxy S21, but a larger size helps to find it easier in my gym/pool bag. And there is a headphone jack !
    Battery, responsiveness, call quality, memory, screen, camera - everything works as expected. Knox gives me peace of mind.
    Not the most perfect mobile device in my life, but I give it an 8/10 and will use it until security updates last, which means 3.5 years.
    Just an FYI, Nokia G series gets 2 updates and 3 years of patches, Nokia X series gets 3 updates and 3 years of patches.

Pixel currently gets 3 updates and 3 years of monthly updates (36 patches), and will get 5 years starting with the Pixel 6. But keep in mind that Pixel devices are already 1 version ahead of the rest at launch.

Samsung gets 3 updates, along with 2 years of monthly patches, a 3rd year of quarterly, and a 4th year of bi-annual (30 patches).
    09-14-21 02:48 PM
    Well my Key 2 Red died about a month ago. Right out of the blue wouldn't turn on one day. Watched a utube video and ordered a battery for 25$. In the meantime I went back to my 4 year old Keyone, which honestly is too slow nowadays. I was really hoping Onward Mobility would save the day, but seems not happening anytime soon. The battery replacement went ok on my Key 2 Red, but unfortunately was not the problem (was worth the 25$ to see tho).
    B&H Video had the Nokia 8.3 5g on sale 379.99$ so I got one to hold me over till a new Blackberry surfaces. Nokia is working good on T-Mobile, whereas Keyone doesn't even support band 66 and/or 71 (T-Mobile bands). The Key 2 Red did at least have band 66.
    I looked at Asus ROG Phone 5, Asus Snapdragon for Insiders phone, and Sony's latest flagship, all with the SD888. But they run so hot they constantly have to be throttled to a slower speed. I chose to just buy a lesser processor which should run without being throttled down and therefore have comparable performance to a throttled higher speed processor.
    The Nokia currently had Android 11 and Aug security update. I feel like I have been handicapping myself on the smaller screen of the Key series just to have a pkb. When I had my Priv, I almost never even slid the pkb open.
    Anyways, I heard Qualcomm is releasing products suporting lossless over bluetooth this fall. ONWARD MOBILITY I want this in my next Blackberry! I'll give this Nokia to my wife if something happens soon.
    09-14-21 11:08 PM
    Just an FYI, Nokia G series gets 2 updates and 3 years of patches, Nokia X series gets 3 updates and 3 years of patches.

Pixel currently gets 3 updates and 3 years of monthly updates (36 patches), and will get 5 years starting with the Pixel 6. But keep in mind that Pixel devices are already 1 version ahead of the rest at launch.

Samsung gets 3 updates, along with 2 years of monthly patches, a 3rd year of quarterly, and a 4th year of bi-annual (30 patches).
    Yes. By the way, it is all thanks to you and to several other members of this forum who persistently remind everyone about patches, etc.. I began to think seriously about updates when I decided to start a new project where most of our collaboration done with Google tools and Android phones and tablets became too much important to neglect the security.
    So, I read a lot here, studied lists of Knox devices and Android Enterprise and educated myself and changed my buying priorities significantly.
    Safety first...
    Thanks again!
    pdr733, conite and Trouveur like this.
    09-15-21 03:49 AM
    Yes. By the way, it is all thanks to you and to several other members of this forum who persistently remind everyone about patches, etc.. I began to think seriously about updates when I decided to start a new project where most of our collaboration done with Google tools and Android phones and tablets became too much important to neglect the security.
    So, I read a lot here, studied lists of Knox devices and Android Enterprise and educated myself and changed my buying priorities significantly.
    Safety first...
    Thanks again!
    That Android Enterprise page... isn't worth very much.
    09-15-21 07:34 AM
    That Android Enterprise page... isn't worth very much.
    It allowed me to compare the updates schedules of various devices.
    09-15-21 01:21 PM
    It allowed me to compare the updates schedules of various devices.
    Except for the lack of accuracy or enforcement…..
    09-15-21 01:32 PM
    Probably, yes. Still a few Leap/Z30 users out there though.
    Actually my z30 battery finally gave out couple months ago and went back to an old z10. On Verizon so I need to go get a Samsung from them before Jan 2022.
    09-15-21 02:34 PM
    I think most would enjoy Samsung not "clean" experience.... lot of refinements and enhancements in the OS, that improve greatly on the Android experience - offers a low walled garden so to speak. At this point the hardware can handle it, plus Samsung in general has fewer "issues" with their hardware.

As I said.... Google has to get it right with the Pixel 6 & Pixel 6 Pro. I'm looking forward to seeing if they do, but I wouldn't be an early adopter - it's something you need to wait for the reviews and some real world testing.
    I don't like how the Pixel 6 camera module sticks out so far.
    09-15-21 08:32 PM
    Pixel 6 hasn't even launched yet really.... but most ever tech pundit seems impressed.

I don't think the Pixel has really been all that impressive for the last few years, and Google could still have a flop if they don't get it right with the Pixel 6 - defects, poor battery life.... but so far on paper it's impressive IMHO.
    Yeah exactly it still hasn't launched, and a few months ago when I had to replace my phone the Pixel 6 was in the distant future. If I was replacing now perhaps I would have had something to even consider. I looked closely at the 4a and 5a and they just didn't impress; they were in the final round of my choices. Maybe the 6, or eventually the 6a, will be good but who knows. Either way I have a phone I am happy with.
    09-16-21 12:41 AM
    guys, I'm so ready to upgrade to Pixel 6 Pro. but had some time playing with a Xiaomi 11 Ultra. and God I hate the typing experience on a screen. It reminded me of why I got out of Samsung Galaxy s3. I guess that going to Pixel 6... the only way I'm gonna be texting will be through voice notes !
    09-17-21 12:50 PM
    guys, I'm so ready to upgrade to Pixel 6 Pro. but had some time playing with a Xiaomi 11 Ultra. and God I hate the typing experience on a screen. It reminded me of why I got out of Samsung Galaxy s3. I guess that going to Pixel 6... the only way I'm gonna be texting will be through voice notes !
    As someone who understands the general superiority that physical keyboards have over virtual ones, the typing experience will definitely be better on a Pixel 6 than it was on that Samsung S3.

This is due to much improved software and a larger screen. I mean those devices are almost a decade apart.

But aside from potentially great haptics on the P6, typing will generally remain better on a keyboard phone.
    09-17-21 01:38 PM
    I've been using a Pixel 5A as a replacement for my key 2
    for the past two weeks and I really like it, I don't even type. I just use the voice option that transcribes what I'm saying.
    if I decide to type the keyboard has options to make the keyboard larger left hand right hand, and is easier to get used to then I thought after years of using a BB physical keyboard.
    curious to know what has you deciding on the Pixel 6 versus the 5A?
    09-17-21 02:33 PM
    There’s a lot of VKB evolution between S3 to S9 let alone S10 the S20 and S21 as in years…… That’s a huge reason why PKB demand keeps dropping with the added changes in device usage. For me, Pixel 5 or Pixel 6 is overkill in the specs department. I’m also using Pixel 5a as 3a replacement.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-17-21 03:35 PM
    There’s a lot of VKB evolution between S3 to S9 let alone S10 the S20 and S21 as in years…… That’s a huge reason why PKB demand keeps dropping with the added changes in device usage. For me, Pixel 5 or Pixel 6 is overkill in the specs department. I’m also using Pixel 5a as 3a replacement.
    There was a lot of evolution between S3 and S9 of course, but definitely NOT between S10 thru S21.
    The form factor has long ago plateaued. I don't see how device usage is all that different today than it was three years ago. The evolution curve just isn't there anymore, hence why it feels as stale as can be.
    bh7171 likes this.
    09-17-21 05:58 PM
    There was a lot of evolution between S3 and S9 of course, but definitely NOT between S10 thru S21.
    The form factor has long ago plateaued. I don't see how device usage is all that different today than it was three years ago. The evolution curve just isn't there anymore, hence why it feels as stale as can be.
    That’s what I referenced by S3 to S9 as VKB evolution. The S10 and beyond are the VKB maturity and stability phase that have caused the PKB to devolve from barely mainstream plausible to niche demand. In the KEYone introduction, there was fragmentation but PKB usability still was slightly advantageous while the screen real estate for many Android/iOS users revolved around 4”-5” screens. The Android/iOS devices, really with the mid-tier XR and 3a era, gained a screen real estate size from OEMs that pushed the PKB to lose advantage of usability for many of the holdouts. Similar to PRIV with the BB VKB that I could leave the slider closed.

The need for a PKB is simply more pronounced with the smaller devices since it’s harder to use the VKB then. If you compare a Titan Pocket with a VKB of same external dimensions, the PKB of Titan Pocket does help usability. However, realistically, how many VKBs devices are that small anymore?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-17-21 06:30 PM
    I've been using a Pixel 5A as a replacement for my key 2
    for the past two weeks and I really like it, I don't even type. I just use the voice option that transcribes what I'm saying.
    if I decide to type the keyboard has options to make the keyboard larger left hand right hand, and is easier to get used to then I thought after years of using a BB physical keyboard.
    curious to know what has you deciding on the Pixel 6 versus the 5A?
    The voice option is a good point. Can't always voice your message but at least home, can be an easy way. I got the Key 2 since more than 3 years now, so I just want the best spec available as of now to make it another 3 years with a new smartphone + The Pixel 6 Pro is just beautiful in my opinion. Reminds me of the design of old cars. It's mainly aesthetic that drives me towards it, even if the pixel 5a is also a very good phone right now.
    09-17-21 08:06 PM
    Must admit. I do miss some of the premium phones. Phones have all become generic slabs. No interesting materials. No design features of note. Yes, technological marvels. And data collection marvels for the profit of Google, FB, et al and NOT the owner, but eminently forgettable.

I was reminded of this the other day when I put a new orange leather battery cover on the daily P9983. People at the office noticed, commented on the "new Blackberry" and where did I managed to purchase a new phone.

No one will ever about the iPhone XXXX or the Pixel YYY in 20 years, let alone 5 years in the same was as the Razor, Nokia 8800 or Nokia 8901i....
    bh7171, the_boon, jobtate and 1 others like this.
    09-17-21 09:51 PM
    That’s what I referenced by S3 to S9 as VKB evolution. The S10 and beyond are the VKB maturity and stability phase that have caused the PKB to devolve from barely mainstream plausible to niche demand. In the KEYone introduction, there was fragmentation but PKB usability still was slightly advantageous while the screen real estate for many Android/iOS users revolved around 4”-5” screens. The Android/iOS devices, really with the mid-tier XR and 3a era, gained a screen real estate size from OEMs that pushed the PKB to lose advantage of usability for many of the holdouts. Similar to PRIV with the BB VKB that I could leave the slider closed.

The need for a PKB is simply more pronounced with the smaller devices since it’s harder to use the VKB then. If you compare a Titan Pocket with a VKB of same external dimensions, the PKB of Titan Pocket does help usability. However, realistically, how many VKBs devices are that small anymore?
    Yes, but can you put the slabs in pocket of your suit trousers without drawing attention to yourself for all the wrong reasons, or carry in the inner breast pocket of your suit jacket without looking as if you are carrying a mini ballistic plate.....
    09-17-21 09:56 PM
2,046 ... 34567 ...