Saw this article and figured I'd share.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/we-were-p...so-where-is-it
    02-11-21 12:33 PM

If you're OM, you can't remain silent on this kind of story. Ignoring Chuck Finley is one thing but the very tech media is another different thing...

Yet, instead we hear last year's press release infomercial as today's news in another region

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Ele...return-to-Asia

Stolen from @Corbu
    FishhPoohh likes this.
    02-11-21 01:28 PM

This is a excerpt, lol.

The popular CrackBerry forums, meanwhile, have degenerated into a fever swamp of people desperately searching for scraps of information.
    02-11-21 05:56 PM
    This is a excerpt, lol.

The popular CrackBerry forums, meanwhile, have degenerated into a fever swamp of people desperately searching for scraps of information.
    I especially liked the part about BlackBerry stickers......
    02-11-21 05:58 PM
    This is a excerpt, lol.

And this as well, ouch.

Several people on the CrackBerry forums make jokes about the new BlackBerry being "a Unihertz Titan with a BlackBerry sticker,"
    02-11-21 05:58 PM
    I especially liked the part about BlackBerry stickers......
    You're too quick Chuck, lol.
    02-11-21 05:59 PM
    And this as well, ouch.

Several people on the CrackBerry forums make jokes about the new BlackBerry being "a Unihertz Titan with a BlackBerry sticker,"
    When I find that forum member......
    tubularbell likes this.
    02-11-21 05:59 PM
    The phrase 'biting off more than they can chew' comes to mind about this non-delivered Blackberry.

I also sense 'complete mismanagement' but both statements are unfounded until proven correct.
    02-11-21 06:15 PM
    When I find that forum member......
    It was me! Wuhahahahahaha!!! Sent from my Titan with a Blackberry Sticker.
    the_boon likes this.
    02-12-21 03:01 PM
    There is obviously nothing interesting happening in mobile when we are still short the original ETA date of a start-up's new device by 4 months and people are already writing its obituary.
    02-12-21 03:40 PM
    There is obviously nothing interesting happening in mobile when we are still short the original ETA date of a start-up's new device by 4 months and people are already writing its obituary.
    It's the lack of promised information and strategy updates from OM, the apparent continuing search for investors, and the lack of even a hint of anything heading for certification that is causing the concern.

And now, instead of "first half of 2021", we are being told "before the end of the year".

Plus, for what used to be a focused North American enterprise initiative, they seem to be scrambling by expanding to other regions by hiring some part-time executives.
    Last edited by conite; 02-12-21 at 04:13 PM.
    02-12-21 04:01 PM
    It's the lack of promised information and strategy updates from OM, the apparent continuing search for investors, and the lack of even a hint of anything heading for certification that is causing the concern.
    What updates and strategies do they owe anyone?

Its not as if people who are actually interested in what is happening with Peter Franklin and company are going to refuse to buy this BlackBerry because Onward didn't mount an immediate and satisfactory response to internet clickbait articles.
    Gene Fells, Paulelmar18 and bh7171 like this.
    02-12-21 04:09 PM

Its not as if people who are actually interested in what is happening with Peter Franklin and company are going to refuse to buy this BlackBerry because Onward didn't mount an immediate and satisfactory response to internet clickbait articles.
    They don't owe us a thing. But they SAID they would provide it before last year's end.

Plus, if they hope to convince enterprise to even look their way, they better start showing them the goods (at least in terms of strategy) pretty darn soon.

This is NOT a consumer device, and those businesses need a LOT of lead time.
    02-12-21 04:11 PM
    They don't owe us a thing. But they SAID they would provide it.

Plus, if they hope to convince enterprise to even look their way, they better start showing them the goods (at least in terms of strategy) pretty darn soon.
    That's Peter Franklin's problem to figure out, not ours. If It doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. No big deal. All I'm saying is perhaps people should at least wait until June before we pull the fire alarm and run out of the building screaming.
    Paulelmar18 and bh7171 like this.
    02-12-21 04:23 PM
    That's Peter Franklin's problem to figure out, not ours. If It doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. No big deal. All I'm saying is perhaps people should at least wait until June before we pull the fire alarm and run out of the building screaming.
    No one is either suggesting Peter is not the CEO, or running around screaming.
    02-12-21 05:41 PM
    No one is either suggesting Peter is not the CEO, or running around screaming.
    Right....well I can only hope most people who read that correctly observed I was being figurative with the fire analogy.

Didn't suggest anything about Peter not being CEO mind you, literally or figuratively.
    Gene Fells likes this.
    02-12-21 06:20 PM
    They don't owe us a thing. But they SAID they would provide it before last year's end.

This is NOT a consumer device, and those businesses need a LOT of lead time.
    Kind of strange this non consumer device will have a "great camera"
    02-12-21 11:11 PM
    Kind of strange this non consumer device will have a "great camera"
    Not really. I need a decent camera for work all the time.
    02-12-21 11:17 PM
    Ha! I've had to carry NON-camera Bolds when working at some client's facilities... Lol.

That said, a good camera has become an essential business tool. Mostly displacing fax machines and scanners for various documents, etc. I also leverage good cameras for archiving machinery, electrical TB and conductor labels, connections, etc... Before disassembly and post assembly "as builts". Invaluable. Highspeed photos & videos prove invaluable for troubleshooting misbehaving equipment. Especially time stamped for comparing multiple points simultaneously on a long production line.

Camera proved THE weakest handicap of my otherwise fav 9900... Lol. 9900's abysmal camera is best suitable for impressionistic images Monet himself might appreciate... Lol. Such a shame a 9900C with decent camera on OS8 wasn't offered in place of "crippled Q" on BarelyBakedWhen? 1.0.0...?? Lol. .
    02-13-21 12:40 AM
    It was me! Wuhahahahahaha!!! Sent from my Titan with a Blackberry Sticker.
    Where can the sticker be obtained?
    EdMinghuang likes this.
    02-13-21 07:28 AM
    comes now this:

GSMArena.com: New BlackBerry phones with classic hardware keyboards and 5G are coming this year - GSMArena.com news.
    https://www.gsmarena.com/new_blackbe...news-47723.php
    02-13-21 07:30 AM

Au contraire. Business planning requires vendor CEOs to communicate clearly and unambiguously to enterprise customers (even under NDAs if necessary) to align and implement downstream budgets and purchase activities. As for the "rest of us" (non-enterprise customers) who would actually be interested in a new PKB model, the prospect of adapting to a purpose-designed enterprise device would seem to amount to grabbing at table scraps. Finally, the lack of perceived OM activity (e.g., investor announcements, FCC certification submission, etc.) is beginning to suggest to "some", despite hopes to the contrary, that we will soon be dealing with yet another instance of PKB vaporware. It that is the case, perhaps it's time to be honest and consider any new development of PKB consumer devices (particularly for the 5G environment) as being too small a niche to ever again be worth undertaking by any reputable tech company.
    02-13-21 08:20 AM
    Au contraire. Business planning requires vendor CEOs to communicate clearly and unambiguously to enterprise customers (even under NDAs if necessary) to align and implement downstream budgets and purchase activities. As for the "rest of us" (non-enterprise customers) who would actually be interested in a new PKB model, the prospect of adapting to a purpose-designed enterprise device would seem to amount to grabbing at table scraps. Finally, the lack of perceived OM activity (e.g., investor announcements, FCC certification submission, etc.) is beginning to suggest to "some", despite hopes to the contrary, that we will soon be dealing with yet another instance of PKB vaporware. It that is the case, perhaps it's time to be honest and consider any new development of PKB consumer devices (particularly for the 5G environment) as being too small a niche to ever again be worth undertaking by any reputable tech company.
    Maybe it does, but what does any of that have to do with this thread? Its not potential enterprise customers coming forward whining about where all the BlackBerry announcements and strategies are at, but rather clickbait journalists looking for a cheap way to generate hits.
    bh7171 likes this.
    02-13-21 09:28 AM
    Maybe it does, but what does any of that have to do with this thread? Its not potential enterprise customers coming forward whining about where all the BlackBerry announcements and strategies are at, but rather clickbait journalists looking for a cheap way to generate hits.
    First, let me apologise for my comment's evident lack of clarity. Second, you are certainly entitled to characterise the article however you wish. However, IMO, it would be a fair reading of the piece that it merely raised the same questions and concerns commenters have made here about the current lack of any meaningful information concerning OM's development timeline, device technical information or substantive progress made (e.g., submission for FCC certification) toward it's release of the device. In my experience in several tech startups, keeping the company's name in the public domain and creating perceived momentum is critical to funding, public perceptions of its future products, and ultimately, in the enterprise space, building favorable impressions of the company and its product by those with the authority to make purchase decisions.

The article, and many CB commenters, have merely pointed out that OM has not provided such information to the public at large or even to regulatory agencies whose approval is required for its device. The fact that "potential enterprise customers" are not whinging about OM's progress toward offering an enterprise-grade PKB device does not necessarily suggest to me a lack of concern by them; rather, it suggests a lack of enterprise interest, particularly when only one *potential* enterprise customer actually has been identified, and then only with respect to one unidentified enterprise application.

The only actual interest I can see concerning OM and the potential for its development of a BB-branded 5G PKB device seems to stem largely from non-enterprise sources, i.e., individuals like those commenting here. My point about the potential for vaporware vs. actual product was that (a) OM is not operating as a typical tech startup, at least in the PR sense; and (b) if OM is not able to capitalise on sales in the enterprise space, the so-called consumer market probably would not support enough PKB device sales to make OM a financial success, even though I hope otherwise.

I hope the above clarifies my thinking for you about the article.
    pdr733 and JeepBB like this.
    02-13-21 11:24 AM
    I'd suggest that OM is more guilty of the clickbait than anyone else at this point. It was their Press Release Infomercials that started all this.
    pdr733 and app_Developer like this.
    02-13-21 02:13 PM
33 12