https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Ele...return-to-Asia

“OnwardMobility is developing the new keyboard-equipped handset with Taiwan's Foxconn, also known as Hon Hai Precision Industry Group, with plans to release them in North America and Europe within this year. But Asia is also an very important market, CEO and Founder Peter Franklin told Nikkei.”

“There have been attempts to revive the BlackBerry before. China's electronics company TCL became a brand licensee and launched several models under the BlackBerry name, but announced last year that it would exit the arrangement.”

“OnwardMobility is hoping for better luck through its partnership with FIH Mobile, Foxconn's Android phone-making arm. They are jointly developing the new model to be sold under the BlackBerry brand, featuring the signature keyboard as well as a top-of-the-line camera and 5G connectivity.”
    02-12-21 07:22 AM

“OnwardMobility is developing the new keyboard-equipped handset with Taiwan's Foxconn, also known as Hon Hai Precision Industry Group, with plans to release them in North America and Europe within this year. But Asia is also an very important market, CEO and Founder Peter Franklin told Nikkei.”

“There have been attempts to revive the BlackBerry before. China's electronics company TCL became a brand licensee and launched several models under the BlackBerry name, but announced last year that it would exit the arrangement.”

“OnwardMobility is hoping for better luck through its partnership with FIH Mobile, Foxconn's Android phone-making arm. They are jointly developing the new model to be sold under the BlackBerry brand, featuring the signature keyboard as well as a top-of-the-line camera and 5G connectivity.”
    Well, it's something
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    02-12-21 07:53 AM

The only thing new here is the first part of this:

"It will work with an external cybersecurity company, and hopes to tap demand among corporate and other clients who are keen on security."
    02-12-21 08:03 AM

"It will work with an external cybersecurity company, and hopes to tap demand among corporate and other clients who are keen on security."
    Hmm, this doesn't indicate much more than we already know (or don't) when it comes to the consumer side.
    02-12-21 08:11 AM
    Hmm, this doesn't indicate much more than we already know (or don't) when it comes to the consumer side.
    It does give more weight to the speculation that BlackBerry has little (or nothing) to do with the software though.
    02-12-21 08:14 AM
    Very vague. This info and quotes from Franklin could be from 10 months ago.
    Paulelmar18 and John Albert like this.
    02-12-21 08:18 AM
    We have more in the coming months....
    02-12-21 08:22 AM
    We have more in the coming months....
    Soon...
    02-12-21 08:35 AM
    Soon...
    You forgot the ™
    02-12-21 10:55 AM
    It does give more weight to the speculation that BlackBerry has little (or nothing) to do with the software though.
    You think BlackBerry will let Onward make a phone with their BlackBerry name on it that runs cyber security software from a direct competitor?

Posted via CB10
    vanillatrim and skinnymike1 like this.
    02-12-21 11:14 AM
    You think BlackBerry will let Onward make a phone with their BlackBerry name on it that runs cyber security software from a direct competitor?

Posted via CB10
    Apparently they really don't care about their name anymore when it comes to mobile devices...or so I've heard
    02-12-21 11:24 AM
    I am in no hurry to replace my BE KeyOne so my hope is they "nail" the design, functionality and security. Sounds to me like the enterprise security aspect will be affiliated with BlackBerry thus the licensing along with hopefully the most beautiful and functional PKB smartphone ever produced. To me this means building off the "Key" device design language and the PKB is front and center with excellent ergonomics for two handed typing, screen real estate maximized within the physical footprint.
    37201xoIM and skinnymike1 like this.
    02-12-21 11:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    It would appear to be the case.
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    02-12-21 11:49 AM

Could the external be interpreted as BlackBerry Cylance since OM is an external relationship? Could Knox be licensed and therefore available to individual users administered under master license?
    02-12-21 12:49 PM
    Could the external be interpreted as BlackBerry Cylance since OM is an external relationship? Could Knox be licensed and therefore available to individual users administered under master license?
    Wouldn't they just say BlackBerry?
    skinnymike1 and Nathan Conley like this.
    02-12-21 12:59 PM
    Wouldn't they just say BlackBerry?
    Has anything up to now really made common sense?
    02-12-21 01:25 PM
    But BlackBerry has nothing to do with phones anymore...right? The external company could very well be BlackBerry.

For me the key takeaway is "this year" as opposed to Q2 2021. This endeavor has obviously been pushed back several months at the very least.
    skinnymike1 and Nathan Conley like this.
    02-12-21 01:40 PM
    But BlackBerry has nothing to do with phones anymore...right? The external company could very well be BlackBerry.

For me the key takeaway is "this year" as opposed to Q2 2021. This endeavor has obviously been pushed back several months at the very least.
    Why would OM refer to BlackBerry all of a sudden as an "external company", when months ago they were a "partner"?
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    02-12-21 01:48 PM
    Why would OM refer to BlackBerry all of a sudden as an "external company", when months ago they were a "partner"?
    Maybe they don't want to trigger more Reddit stock mania and destabilize the mothership.

Seriously though, calling out BB directly could lead to people drawing false assumptions about how involved BlackBerry will be in the software for the device itself. Particularly negative ones. If what you have been saying about the Hub Suite is in fact true and it's being left for dead, we may see no such involvement on this BlackBerry device and perhaps Onward is simply looking to temper expectations.
    02-12-21 01:57 PM
    we may see no such involvement on this BlackBerry device and perhaps Onward is simply looking to temper expectations.
    This was my point. To me it confirms my speculation that they aren't really involved apart from the sticker.
    02-12-21 02:01 PM
    This was my point. To me it confirms my speculation that they aren't really involved apart from the sticker.
    Yes and no. They could be consulted on "cybersecurity" without having any of their software on the device.

Obviously if they mentioned BlackBerry by name and with an understanding BlackBerry is a (mainly) software company, some false assumptions might be made.
    02-12-21 02:06 PM

OnwardMobility breaks their silence-nothing-burger.jpg

Aside from the date slipping significantly, there's no real news here.

More specifically, they've yet to release any news about having obtained funding. Until that happens, this is all really a hypothetical exercise. The people that have been "hired" all have other jobs, and presumably are being "paid" with stock. Stock which may never be worth the paper its written on.

Somebody wake me when there's an announcement of substance. LOL.
    John Albert, phuoc, pdr733 and 3 others like this.
    02-12-21 07:40 PM

I think it means exactly what it sounds like, they are working with a external (not blackberry) cybersecurity company. For what exactly I don't know perhaps a hardening of android or perhaps offering security services like vpn, or maybe even more drastic stuff like what Bittium has done to android.

"But Franklin believes the BlackBerry holds a renewed allure in today's world, with more people working from home due to the coronavirus pandemic.

"Our smartphones equipped with a physical keyboard can help boost productivity", Franklin said.

OnwardMobility also hopes to offer greater protection against data leaks and other cyber threats, which have only increased with teleworking. It will work with an external cybersecurity company, and hopes to tap demand among corporate and other clients who are keen on security."

This also shows that like myself Franklin thinks covid has increased teleworking and phone use for business. Which would also increase security threats.
    shakingthrough and Jake2826 like this.
    02-12-21 07:51 PM

This also shows that like myself Franklin thinks covid has increased teleworking and phone use for business. Which would also increase security threats.
    You said people want/use PKBs more at home.

He said teleworking presents special security concerns.
    02-12-21 07:58 PM
    You said people want/use PKBs more at home.

He said teleworking presents special security concerns.
    "But Franklin believes the BlackBerry holds a renewed allure in today's world, with more people working from home due to the coronavirus pandemic."
    Sure he doesn't say pkb but he says blackberry who are famous for having pkbs, anyway could be wrong.
    Also interesting he says teleworking presents more security threats, that is exactly what Bittiums solution aims to reduce, by hard booting the phone into a for work only android, then booting again at the end of the day to go to your consumer android.
    02-12-21 08:17 PM
335 123 ...