I wouldn't say it's much better in the United States were the three major signal providers and their mvno partners are all going to basically terminate support for every single phone there is in the United States other than 5G models that they sell directly. What with that, I wonder which state is going to accommodate the mountain of useless cell phones that's going to be climbing near the sky. I guess by then we'll have enough for illegal immigrants in this country to spend their time pulling out rare Earths from those phones just like in Africa. What a world we live in!
    4G devices are perfectly fine. No need for 5G unless you want to maximize reception everywhere (2 networks to latch onto are better than 1).

But it's simple math: there isn't enough bandwidth to keep 3G going. There is no conspiracy.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-29-21 03:59 PM
    It's even getting bad with British Telecom as they roll out fibre optic to your indoor socket there are still no telephones available anywhere that can plug into it
    Dont know what setup BT is using over here in the continent what I saw that the fiber optic cable is connected to an ONT. The ONT then has the normal telephone socket (apart from the UTP one). No special phone is needed the very same works which worked with the old copper wires.
    08-29-21 04:03 PM
    I wouldn't say it's much better in the United States were the three major signal providers and their mvno partners are all going to basically terminate support for every single phone there is in the United States other than 5G models that they sell directly. What with that, I wonder which state is going to accommodate the mountain of useless cell phones that's going to be climbing near the sky. I guess by then we'll have enough for illegal immigrants in this country to spend their time pulling out rare Earths from those phones just like in Africa. What a world we live in!
    Most devices that people are using are VoLTE supported. I suspect we'll be just fine on all the non-5G device we have. I've purchased one factory unlocked 5G device for testing on Google Fi which uses 5G TMO and I'll compare with swapping around my AT&T, TMO and VZW non-5G SIM cards occasionally.

The only real losers will be the old BlackBerry devices that aren't VoLTE supported.
    pdr733 likes this.
    08-29-21 04:06 PM
    Most devices that people are using are VoLTE supported. I suspect we'll be just fine on all the non-5G device we have. I've purchased one factory unlocked 5G device for testing on Google Fi which uses 5G TMO and I'll compare with swapping around my AT&T, TMO and VZW non-5G SIM cards occasionally.

The only real losers will be the old BlackBerry devices that aren't VoLTE supported.
    So how do you explain all these reports on crackberry about people with keyone and key2 devices being kicked off ATT and other services?
    08-29-21 04:39 PM
    So how do you explain all these reports on crackberry about people with keyone and key2 devices being kicked off ATT and other services?
    A very small % of people that are on old devices….like .05% small lol
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-29-21 04:43 PM
    We've gone over that before.

AT&T has NEVER catered to BYOD. Ever. This has not changed.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-29-21 04:43 PM

I wish I could count on my BlackBerry key2 and my Sony xz-2 compact both being volte capable continuing to function on att Network but in the meantime a t t sent out two phones to replace the ones we have and I had to go through about a half day of folderol to finally get to an escalated technician who was able to encode into the account to stop trying to activate those two phones. There they sit in the Box.
    Last edited by RLeeSimon; 08-29-21 at 05:01 PM.
    08-29-21 04:44 PM

So explain to me why did they send us two free phones albeit junkers. That has to cost them some money.
    08-29-21 04:46 PM
    So explain to me why did they send us two free phones albeit junkers. That has to cost them some money.
    Its less money than to deal with all the calls when they really do shut down service and people call clueless and without a working device.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-29-21 04:47 PM
    Its less money than to deal with all the calls when they really do shut down service and people call clueless and without a working device.
    Okay so there is no news here. Around February 2022 or whenever they do it the 3-g will go, the 4G phones will be forced to use which in the case of a t t is termed HD voice and which requires some kind of software or firmware that isn't on any of the phones that we have. And at that point those two phones will be dead as a doornail. And there won't be any choice what to buy something from a t and t or skip.
    08-29-21 04:49 PM
    And also, with all these doubts about the OM project existing at all, if it does and they come out with the phone the only way to use it would be to switch to whatever service that device would work on. Some have hinted about a subscription service. That would probably kill it all. All of this is disappointing to me.
    08-29-21 04:52 PM

I've been a customer of AT&T for decades and have never purchased any hardware from AT&T at all. I do have two pieces of att Hardware, a retired 3or4 G hotspot and a freely provided and Provisioned MicroCell from AT&T which will soon go by the wayside as well. It's going to be quite a fun free for all in the first quarter.
    08-29-21 04:58 PM
    Cluelessness abounds and no free phones from AT&T will cure that.
    08-29-21 05:04 PM
    It's meant to be a way for them to retain you as a customer. Some will accept that and stay. Others will not accept that and move on.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-29-21 05:42 PM
    As I said, there are BlackBerry and other different OEM devices that AT&T doesn't support VoLTE on the device. That's reason AT&T sent you and other(s) the free device(s) recently. You keep going on and on about what a great AT&T customer you've been, however, from their perspective, you're only a valued customer if you're actually using the AT&T version of a phone they've chosen to support. All customers are politely told, use AT&T VoLTE approved device or please leave.
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 08-29-21 at 07:21 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-29-21 06:18 PM
    I've been a customer of AT&T for decades and have never purchased any hardware from AT&T at all. I do have two pieces of att Hardware, a retired 3or4 G hotspot and a freely provided and Provisioned MicroCell from AT&T which will soon go by the wayside as well. It's going to be quite a fun free for all in the first quarter.
    And we've gone over that too. Many times.

You just happened to never use advanced features before, so it hasn't impacted you so far.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-29-21 06:35 PM
    02-27-22 06:58 AM
    02-27-22 08:50 AM
1,768 ... 697071