We could always KickStart a GoFundMe page.......

After we start a petition.
    We need a poll first to judge the feasibility.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    11-24-20 02:06 PM
    We need a poll first to judge the feasibility.
    I say we start a petition demanding some start a poll, just to gage interest.

I think the poll and petition should be in Lithuanian.
    ppeters914 and mundo472 like this.
    11-25-20 01:19 AM
    Is there publicly available verification or other solid evidence of this claim that OM "doesn't have the money" and is only in the "looking/hoping for investors" phase? Otherwise the last few posts in this thread constitute little more than FUD.

Indeed, this entire thread reeks of FUD and the sensational headline appears to be premature. The OM endeavour may or may not succeed; but a little bit of patience might be in order folks.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-20 09:06 AM

Gaelic, please:-)
    11-25-20 09:27 AM

I say we form a study group to assess the feasibility of forming a committee to nominate members of a panel of experts to draft members of a working group to investigate the possibility of hiring a consultant to research the parameters of a recommendation to this group. By then, we will all have mastered Lithuanian and can proceed to the next step. A poll.
    phuoc, gebco and ppeters914 like this.
    11-25-20 10:04 AM
    Is there publicly available verification or other solid evidence of this claim that OM "doesn't have the money" and is only in the "looking/hoping for investors" phase? Otherwise the last few posts in this thread constitute little more than FUD.
    This came from OM themselves during their initial interviews, and they've said nothing about having secured funding in any of the subsequent interviews, which seems unusual if they'd actually gotten funding, because why wouldn't you want to mention that important milestone if you'd reached it - especially given that they're the ones who mentioned that they were seeking funding in the first place.

Obviously no one here KNOWS what the situation actually is, but given the months that have gone by with no apparent progress and with announcements and interviews having been canceled as of late, that speculation isn't completely unwarranted. Of course, it's still just speculation.
    11-25-20 10:39 AM
    They said a new phone wouldn't come till 2Q of next year..... so suspect they just don't have much to say till closer till then.
    2Q?? Wait, the dude said 1Q of 2021. Now they're changing it?
    11-25-20 11:13 AM
    no its always been 2q
    11-25-20 11:23 AM
    Diehard BlackBerry fan here. I had to put my BlackBerry KEYone Black Edition down...the physical keyboard was starting to stick and double type, etc. Have been using a Nokia 5.3 for a couple of months. It was $199 unlocked from Amazon. I'm not sure anymore whether I'm interested in another BlackBerry physical keyboard phone. If Onward Mobility does come out with something next year, I would bet it'll be $400+ and it'll probably have midrange specs with a honking big battery. Just speculation on my part, but I don't think it's that far fetched. And quite honestly, with other Android phones available with better or the same specs for half the price...why would I want to buy that new BlackBerry?

I'm keeping my eye on it all...but skeptical that they can bring me back to a BlackBerry handset.

I am a subscriber to the BlackBerry software and use it on my Nokia, Hub+ stuff. Still enjoying all of that. Will be watching.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    11-25-20 12:32 PM
    I had responded on LinkedIn when OM put out a call for "influencers" or people in BlackBerry forums such as this. I got a PM here for my email the other day so they aren't dead, they're at least doing something behind the scenes. I wouldn't be surprised if covid has caused delays or slowdowns.
    11-25-20 12:57 PM
    Literally anyone can have Foxconn make them a phone if they have the money to pay for it. But OM doesn't have the money - they are hoping to find investors to give it to them, but they don't have it already, so the Foxconn thing is merely a "plan" at this point.

It's kind of like you're starting to date a woman and you tell her you have your own home, and when she comes over, she finds an empty lot. You can tell her "well, I'm planning to build a home and I've already picked out a contractor", but no matter how prestigious the contractor, if you don't have the money to pay the contractor, you aren't getting any house.

Perhaps OM will find investors. Stranger things have happened - but at this point, it's difficult to imagine why an investor would want to try to break into such a competitive space with such small margins and such high risk.
    Last I checked, if you don't have a finished domicile complete with a bathroom she can go through to see how much of project you're going to be, it's a non-starter. Similarly, I have a notion investors are going to be just as discerning - can't see a future, not getting involved.

*This is me speculating, not saying that I don't want them to bring a device. I want to see another BlackBerry.
    john_v likes this.
    11-25-20 02:37 PM
    I think it's vaporware. If they were actually planning for a Q1 release, the design an engineering should be close to finalized by now. Foxconn should be preparing to manufacture. Suppliers should be lined up.

Not to mention the software aspect. Unless this is just going to be another generic Android phone, and it is supposed to be super secure, they have to do more than slap on DTEK and harden the kernel.

Look, BlackBerry and TCL already tried this. The KEY2 was a great device but they couldn't make a profit. Nobody wanted it. Even with their billions, they couldn't make a go of it. Do we honestly think that OM has the resources to do this? How much are they even worth? Do they even have any money or investors?

Fool me once....
    John Albert, phuoc and ppeters914 like this.
    11-25-20 10:58 PM
    What would this mean for blackberry if true, and is this common in the tech world?
    11-26-20 04:46 AM
    What would this mean for blackberry if true, and is this common in the tech world?
    BlackBerry couldn't really care less. They were only licensing their brand name to them anyway.
    app_Developer likes this.
    11-26-20 09:13 AM
    I think it's vaporware. If they were actually planning for a Q1 release, the design an engineering should be close to finalized by now. Foxconn should be preparing to manufacture. Suppliers should be lined up.

Not to mention the software aspect. Unless this is just going to be another generic Android phone, and it is supposed to be super secure, they have to do more than slap on DTEK and harden the kernel.

Look, BlackBerry and TCL already tried this. The KEY2 was a great device but they couldn't make a profit. Nobody wanted it. Even with their billions, they couldn't make a go of it. Do we honestly think that OM has the resources to do this? How much are they even worth? Do they even have any money or investors?

Fool me once....
    Do you think for a second that "billions" were invested to make the KEY series come to life?

We're talking about BB ltd which already had the patents, and TCL which already had the factories and infrastructure in place from their other brands.
    11-26-20 10:51 AM
    Do you think for a second that "billions" were invested to make the KEY series come to life?

We're talking about BB ltd which already had the patents, and TCL which already had the factories and infrastructure in place from their other brands.
    TCL has billions at their disposal and intentionally setup BBMo under TCT subsidy to limit failure risk and liability. TCL didn’t really expect BBMo to succeed as much as legitimize itself with carriers above the Alcatel brand. TCL is now attempting success with USA primarily carriers under it’s own brand.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-26-20 12:09 PM
    Sorry to say things are not looking up. No news in 3 months, canceled meetings, and the fact that OM (Peter) changes his favorite Blackberry of all time for every interview he did attend ( maybe looking for $) 3 months ago. Big hype, no substance sorry to say.
    11-26-20 02:28 PM
    YES HE DID, smoke starting to settle in.
    11-26-20 02:35 PM

They didn't invest billions, but they had billions in resources. OM probably doesn't even have millions in total assets.
    11-26-20 03:40 PM
    They didn't invest billions, but they had billions in resources. OM probably doesn't even have millions in total assets.
    Right, but I don't think TCL invested but a tiny fraction of their potential resources. BBMo was a side project that they didn't pour their heart and soul into.
    11-26-20 10:21 PM
    Right, but I don't think TCL invested but a tiny fraction of their potential resources. BBMo was a side project that they didn't pour their heart and soul into.
    That’s what you do in your own project that you own. Could you imagine pouring your heart and soul into a rental car or rental apartment that you can’t ever own? TCL knew t6e initial risk and invested as such. Had the project been carrier supported better or more PKB fans actually put up or shut up, perhaps it would have justified more resources.

At the end of the day, it just makes sense to support the brand TCL owns and build it up. Here in USA, the CEO would be fired and professional career over if BBMo given more economic resources after VZW bailed on the KEYone and the industry waffled on Key2 next. On the mainland, at TCL, any executives up to CEO would literally be taken out and executed for economic crimes and malfeasance.
    11-26-20 10:39 PM
    It's a six billion dollar a year market.... surely anyone can capture a small part of that.

Most these folk came from a failing smartphone company (BBMo & Sonim).... they ought to know better. They would be better off forming a company that makes sells masks or syringes.
    Mr Wonderful on Shark Tank HATES the capture of a small slice argument...
    11-27-20 01:19 PM

Klingon may work best...
    phuoc likes this.
    11-27-20 01:20 PM
    Hmm, I'm not active much here anymore but check in from time to time. I was very much intrigued when I heard OM was going to be releasing a new BlackBerry. I just hope the excitement around that announcement didn't eclipse the reality of how difficult a task this would be. I hope it does come to fruition, but I don't have high hopes that a company releasing a first time product is going to:
    1. Have any sort of realistic timetable for release
    2. Release a high quality device.
    3. Be able to sell BlackBerries to anyone outside of this forum

I hope it happens, but I seriously doubt that it will.
    Last edited by donnation; 11-28-20 at 07:19 AM.
    11-28-20 06:06 AM
    Hmm, I'm not active much here anymore but check in from time to time. I was very much intrigued when I heard OM was going to be releasing a new BlackBerry. I just hope the excitement around that announcement didn't eclipse the reality of how difficult a task this would be. I hope it does come to fruition, but I don't have high hopes that a company releasing a first time product is going to:
    1. Have any sort of realistic timetable for release
    2. Release a high quality device.
    3. Be able to sell BlackBerries to anyone outside of this forum

I hope it happens, but I seriously doubt that it will.
    t'is a puzzlement…

special mention, #3
    11-28-20 12:18 PM
1,768 1234 ...