I suspect actually produced Unihertz Titan followup could sink the OM (paper) battleship.
    What couldn't sink that battelship, in your own mind??? I suggest y'all buy a Unihertz and stick a BlackBerry sticker on it. The Onward device will be for pros anyway not junk collectors.
    04-06-21 02:12 PM
    What couldn't sink that battelship, in your own mind??? I suggest y'all buy a Unihertz and stick a BlackBerry sticker on it. The Onward device will be for pros anyway not junk collectors.
    We actually don't know who it's for, nor for what specific application it is being designed and built.
    Last edited by conite; 04-06-21 at 02:55 PM.
    04-06-21 02:43 PM
    So I'm not a professional user and I'm a junk collector. All sixteen (16) of my AT&T BlackBerrys were purchased full price at introduction. Another eight (8) were purchased new from BlackBerry Limited or BlackBerry Mobile factory unlocked but with some OEM promotional type discount. That doesn't include another 6-8 coffee table devices.

How about you?

The OM device could possibly succeed if OM follows the original BlackBerry Limited business model. Sell the device through USA carriers (or whatever country) and charge monthly subscription on top of carrier monthly charges. If not, then it will fail unless just an off the shelf components, like Unihertz Titan, device with BlackBerry stickers.
    tubularbell and hplovecraft like this.
    04-06-21 03:46 PM
    So let me get this right I have well over 250 phones on network and at one time all of them BlackBerrys so we are junk collectors.

I had a cell phone before you knew what a phone was or cool to use. When minutes came in at dollars not free, and standby time was in hours not days. You statement shows nothing but arrogance.
    04-07-21 09:40 AM
    I still think that it is very unlikely that OM will be able to put a new phone on the market. I would be really glad if they will succeed because I want and need a real pkb device..but currently..i don't see a glimmer of success in this operation
    04-08-21 01:27 AM
    I still think that it is very unlikely that OM will be able to put a new phone on the market. I would be really glad if they will succeed because I want and need a real pkb device..but currently..i don't see a glimmer of success in this operation
    It has to make sense from a business standpoint.... Onward Mobility hasn't shared what they think would hook Government and Enterprise, or how they would offer a guarantee of support or confidence that this isn't another in a long line of failed BlackBerry products with short support lives.

Not saying that OM can't do it, just that it's going to be tough for a little startup to do it. At this rate it will have been two years since Chen and Moynihan talked.... how long will BOA be interested?
    joshualebowitz likes this.
    04-08-21 07:28 AM
    If it is true that OnwardMobility monitors these forums, then how can they possibly stay so quiet?
    04-08-21 09:42 AM
    If it is true that OnwardMobility monitors these forums, then how can they possibly stay so quiet?
    Self-control??
    Gazza12 likes this.
    04-08-21 09:56 AM
    I'm sure they are also well aware that every day they let go by is detrimental to their cause. I simply think they have nothing to say.
    hplovecraft likes this.
    04-08-21 10:01 AM
    Why would they "monitor" these forums?

Maybe they checked them out a few time, but ongoing monitoring would be pretty useless for them.

In the end I expect the quiet has more to do with business issues than phone designs or feature needs.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-08-21 10:02 AM
    Why would they "monitor" these forums?

Maybe they checked them out a few time, but ongoing monitoring would be pretty useless for them.

In the end I expect the quiet has more to do with business issues than phone designs or feature needs.
    If any of them are truly fans of the brand, it's inconceivable to me why they wouldn't be regular lurkers or even active posters on the brand's #1 (by far) site.

If they aren't here, it means they don't give 2¢ about it - which may very well be accurate.
    04-08-21 10:40 AM
    If any of them are truly fans of the brand, it's inconceivable to me why they wouldn't be regular lurkers or even active posters on the brand's #1 (by far) site.

If they aren't here, it means they don't give 2¢ about it - which may very well be accurate.
    Exactly. It's not that difficult to envision OM monitoring the forums. It'd actually be extremely useful for them if they were truly fans and cared about what the community ("brand ambassadors") valued. So the real question should be: "Why wouldn't they monitor the forums?"

Then again, conite's second statement may well be true, too.
    04-08-21 11:00 AM

Well if they were monitoring, hopefully they'd swing by some of the useful threads like the one from May 2018 proving that you can make a water resistant keyboard device.

Though Unihertz's Titan (and Pocket) already prove that anyway.
    04-09-21 06:48 AM
    Well if they were monitoring, hopefully they'd swing by some of the useful threads like the one from May 2018 proving that you can make a water resistant keyboard device.

But the bottom line is what does it cost, and how does it affect performance and durability?

With fewer than 10K units shipped, many of which were not used as primary phones... it's hard to say what the durability is for the Titan under heavy usage of the keyboard and how that affect long term water resistance. But if you had a choose between the water resistant Titan keyboard and the KEYone's.... which would you choose?

I know you want a PKB that give you all there - water resistance, great long term functionality and low cost... I just don't know if that's possible. But I'm sure OM knows that's something to strive for.... without reading CrackBerry.

Is there a premium phone that isn't water resistant in 2021?
    04-09-21 07:42 AM

No one said you can't make a waterproof keyboard. It's a question of whether one can be made well enough to be consistent with BlackBerry heritage. That has yet to be determined.

That said, technology, tools, and materials advance over time as well. What might not have been true 3 years ago, could potentially be true today. That too has yet to be determined.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-09-21 07:50 AM
    No one said you can't make a waterproof keyboard. It's a question of whether one can be made well enough to be consistent with BlackBerry heritage. That has yet to be determined.

Technology/materials advance too.
    I consider the Priv's keyboard to be waterproof by design, and also consider it to be not nearly as bad for typing as some say it is. Very underrated.
    04-09-21 07:53 AM
    Hopefully they are monitoring it. If so, I would like to plea with them to not just stick a PKB on the south end of a slab, ala Key1/2. Find a way to make android work on a bold or passport - the two greatest designs in smartphone history.

BTW - typed on my Titan.
    04-09-21 10:28 AM
    Hopefully they are monitoring it. If so, I would like to plea with them to not just stick a PKB on the south end of a slab, ala Key1/2. Find a way to make android work on a bold or passport - the two greatest designs in smartphone history.

BTW - typed on my Titan.

There was a poll done long here.... and the "Classic 2" just edged out the "KEY 3" so you are in good company (if by Bold you meant Classic as well).

Real problem is Android and most the content out there is designed for the "slab" displays with a more standard format resolution. It's great that Android now allows something like the Titan's display, but nothing OM can do to improve that experience.... other than not make it weigh so much or be so bulky. But display wise, that would be the experience...
    troglodrew likes this.
    04-09-21 11:40 AM

BTW - typed on my Titan.
    What does that mean though? The Key PKB on either device was far superior to Unihertz Titan and I'm sure Titan Pocket when it comes out.
    04-09-21 04:14 PM
    What does that mean though? The Key PKB on either device was far superior to Unihertz Titan and I'm sure Titan Pocket when it comes out.
    A better balanced form factor? It's pretty clear.

Pkb superiority is not really the point here. BB's keyboard experience is still the clear winner but it's encouraging that Unihertz is offering more appealing form factors. The pkb is very nice on the Key series but not everyone who came over from smaller BBs or the Passport loves the form factor.
    the_boon and troglodrew like this.
    04-09-21 04:17 PM
    The pkb is very nice on the Key series but not everyone who came over from smaller BBs or the Passport loves the form factor.
    Exactly for me - I just couldn't handle the balance of the Key series. Gotta be more squat for me. I like the shorter form factor of the Passport. It's certainly a 2-handed device but balances quite well, at least for the way I hold it, it does.
    saint300 likes this.
    04-09-21 04:33 PM
    A better balanced form factor? It's pretty clear.

Pkb superiority is not really the point here. BB's keyboard experience is still the clear winner but it's encouraging that Unihertz is offering more appealing form factors. The pkb is very nice on the Key series but not everyone who came over from smaller BBs or the Passport loves the form factor.
    Ideally, they could make a dozen PKB form sizes in a dozen colors. Ultimately, they have to make a design that sells enough where a shorter or taller or narrower or wider becomes algebraic percentage of acceptable sales of whatever the best selling is without cannibalizing.

Even Apple, with the SE and the Mini haven't succeeded consistently or any depending on what the goals were. Like Google with the Pixel and how it measures success and failure. If you want a PKB and it can be usable for you, just buy it. When a PKB is offered with carrier sales, certification and support, I'll be the first in line to buy one since it would be usable for me.
    04-09-21 05:20 PM
    Yes the PkB was fine. That didnt matter though when my screen fell out. Titan, despite the PKB and the fact that it was 3X less expensive, has been my solid everyday phone for over a year now.
    the_boon likes this.
    04-09-21 06:20 PM
    Yes the PkB was fine. That didnt matter though when my screen fell out. Titan, despite the PKB and the fact that it was 3X less expensive, has been my solid everyday phone for over a year now.
    Yes but, screens were replaced under warranty and I never had the issues since it was limited amount of Silver 3/32 models. All BlackBerrys have production issues, as do all major brands. It has nothing to do with price.
    04-09-21 07:23 PM
    Yes but, screens were replaced under warranty and I never had the issues since it was limited amount of Silver 3/32 models. All BlackBerrys have production issues, as do all major brands. It has nothing to do with price.
    Not all major brands have phones with screens that fall out. Don't dismiss the issue. "They replaced it under warranty" is not an excuse. It wasn't an excuse for Samsung either.
    04-09-21 07:37 PM
370 1234 ...