Whilst we all wait in anticipation of the new OM version of a BB PKB device, I thought a discussion on what's behind a PKB in Android OS could be interesting and informative.

I can recall a discussion in the past that described the Android VKB app being directly used by the PKB (similar to sitting underneath the physical keys). If that is the case, then it raises some questions.

I understand that several years ago, the BBandroid VKB app updated and the prediction engine changed. I can recall that it got much worse overnight; so much so that I moved back to Gboard.

VKB by design must have some memory (read / temp write) and links to outside sources to remain up to date etc. Could these external link/s be a reason for the specific design requirement for a PKB? Could the new phone have basic auto correct and no prediction engine to increase security or is it simply a preference for more accurate physical entry?

If the decision is to have keyboard swipe capability, can they provide this and maintain the highest level of security or does this function increase vulnerability?
    10-19-20 01:17 AM
    Whilst we all wait in anticipation of the new OM version of a BB PKB device, I thought a discussion on what's behind a PKB in Android OS could be interesting and informative.

I can recall a discussion in the past that described the Android VKB app being directly used by the PKB (similar to sitting underneath the physical keys). If that is the case, then it raises some questions.

I understand that several years ago, the BBandroid VKB app updated and the prediction engine changed. I can recall that it got much worse overnight; so much so that I moved back to Gboard.

VKB by design must have some memory (read / temp write) and links to outside sources to remain up to date etc. Could these external link/s be a reason for the specific design requirement for a PKB? Could the new phone have basic auto correct and no prediction engine to increase security or is it simply a preference for more accurate physical entry?

If the decision is to have keyboard swipe capability, can they provide this and maintain the highest level of security or does this function increase vulnerability?
    Not sure what you mean. You can use the existing KEY² keyboard (physical or virtual) software without any internet connection. Everything is local, and always has been.
    10-19-20 01:26 AM

My guess is it won't use any of BlackBerry's consumer Apps.... too costly for this size endeavor. Good chance some of the Enterprise Apps are there as part of the package, along with the montly subscription fees.

They haven't updated the BlackBerry Keyboard in over a year... be nice if the update and include it for the new phones. But right now there is no sign of app development. And while OM just made the announcement, they have been working on this for a long time - 18 months or so.

Too be honest.... what I'd expect them to do, doesn't match up with the "only have to carry one phone" statement. I doubt OM can beat Samsung Knox on security with full functionality, and updates. Samsung has the volume to spread their cost among 100's of millions of phones. OM will have to spread their cost, BlackBerry's cost and Foxconn's cost among a few thousand units.
    10-19-20 08:55 AM
    My guess is it won't use any of BlackBerry's consumer Apps.... too costly for this size endeavor. Good chance some of the Enterprise Apps are there as part of the package, along with the montly subscription fees.

They haven't updated the BlackBerry Keyboard in over a year... be nice if the update and include it for the new phones. But right now there is no sign of app development. And while OM just made the announcement, they have been working on this for a long time - 18 months or so.

Too be honest.... what I'd expect them to do, doesn't match up with the "only have to carry one phone" statement. I doubt OM can beat Samsung Knox on security with full functionality, and updates. Samsung has the volume to spread their cost among 100's of millions of phones. OM will have to spread their cost, BlackBerry's cost and Foxconn's cost among a few thousand units.
    The best way for a small company to compete with Knox is to be less flexible and insist on high security. Knox is a large, complex, flexible solution, which is needed to accommodate a large user base, but it is also very easy to implement it in ways that leave companies vulnerable to compromise. So, while Knox is very robust and powerful when fully implemented, many individuals and companies using Samsung devices are quite vulnerable.

It doesn't matter how well a security feature works if you don't turn it on!

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    10-19-20 11:07 AM